Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Virus

Options
  • 25-08-2004 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

A have a PC full of spyware and viruses etc, i have managed to remove most of the spyware using spybot however i cant launch or setup any AV programs, i am sure its a virus, any ideas? When i attached the pc to my router the net activity skyrocketed as the pc was constatly hitting the net, any ideas which virus it might be

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

the OS is windows for schoolgirls (i.e. XP home) BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can't launch or setup AV programs? Is this because the virus is preventing programs from running? If you can run it, you could try stinger, http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger which might be able to detect it. Failing that, is re-installing and overwriting the existing installation an option?
    Most of the recent windows worms access the net to spread themselves so it could be any of them. The only way you're going to get it is if you can do a scan. Can you put the hard disk in another machine and scan it from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

you f****** beauty!!!!! stinger worked a charm, cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No problem, happy to help. Even if it was a complete guess, but I've seen stinger recomended here before and have had use of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

stinger is the business for stuff like that! Nice and small too

• Advertisement
Advertisement