Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foods/candies: usa vs. ireland

Options
  • 25-08-2004 6:22pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

I recently asked a group of people what they would like me to bring over from the states on my way to Ireland and got a lot of requests for candy that I wasnt aware Ireland didnt have,

Here are a few:

Reese's cups, Butterfingers, milk duds, chees in a can, koolaide...

What are some other things you can think of that you dont have in Ireland that we have in the states.

One thing we dont have here that I miss from Ireland are the Sausages...they are way differnet here, infact I wont eat sausage here, only in Ireland.
    The bread is better in ireland, and we dont have that yummy Black current juice that you have. I miss those the most.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Peanut Butter M&M's - dunno why they won't do them over this side of the pond

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

AlmondM&Ms my FAV!!! Anyhoos you can lots of suff here now like the Reese's cups, Mike & Ikes, Hershey etc...you can even get A&W root beer in Camden Street...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I always try and get people to bring back Oreo-os. They're an oreo cereal. Best cereal in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Blisterman wrote:
    I always try and get people to bring back Oreo-os. They're an oreo cereal. Best cereal in the world.

Devil dogs...............oh man those are good

Twinkies. Infact anything by hostess :)

Crispy M+M's (Yes I know we get them here but theyre crap in comparison, not sure why exactly.The chocolate in ours is mank)

Mike and Ikes (Which can now be bought in campus shops in UCC :D)

Froot Loops

Lipton Ice. Cant find it anywhere in cork :(

Im sure theres plenty of others but thats all I can think of now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Good n' Plenty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Hershey's, particularly Hershey's kisses.
    Franks red hot sauce (not candy I know, but I always bring some back if I can).
    Loads of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Heh, I bought a giant tube of Hershey's kisses from NY in August. Very nice move on my part - I must admit.

There was one thing I forgot to bring back though, it was this gorgeous brand of bbq sauce - somethingorother 'hickory flavour' I think it was called. Damn it was good. White text on a black background...anyone know what I'm talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

NoelRock wrote:
    Heh, I bought a giant tube of Hershey's kisses from NY in August. Very nice move on my part - I must admit.

There was one thing I forgot to bring back though, it was this gorgeous brand of bbq sauce - somethingorother 'hickory flavour' I think it was called. Damn it was good. White text on a black background...anyone know what I'm talking about?

Could be jack daniels bbq sauce (no not the whiskey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

S'mores. I've never tried them, and they sound sooo good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Reeses peanut butter cups are available now, quite nice they are too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

A lot of things I used to miss about North America are now available in Ireland like:

Doritos - still lacking in flavours
    Chocolate Milk - available in some places
    Dr Pepper
    Sprite

But I'm back in canada now and there is still a few you can't get there...

Root Beer
    potato chips
    spicy ketchup / mustard
    REAL hot dogs / sausages -(not breakfast sasages)
    steak spices
    vegitable crackers
    all sour candies. Sour kids, peach blasters, cherry balsters
    bottled water water in cases. I can get 24 500ml bottles for 2-3 euro
    chocolate almonds

I do miss
    Jacobs cream crackers
    Curries... the chinese justcan't do them the same
    chippers - duh
    and defiantely the sausies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

Anybody coming to Ohio from Ireland or the ,UK..I will pay ridiculously for milk chocolate Hob Nobs that McVities make, or for real english bitters(especially the Smiles Bitters from Bristol). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

WOuld so anything for a big bag of jelly bellys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Big Red chewing gum.. and cinnamon flavoured stuff in general..

I guess us Irish aren't a cinnamon bunch.. Wrigley brought out Big Red here too but it mustn't have been too popular.. dissappeared again!!

So I get my sis to post it over to me :D

WOuld so anything for a big bag of jelly bellys

hmm.. interested in a jellybean / hobnob exchange ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I liked Big Red too when it was released in Ireland but the one they have in the US tastes stronger and burns the tongue - unpleasant!

I have to say that going to the US turned me into a bit of a health freak. All the sweet stuff I tried there was *extremely* sweet and usually, soft drinks etc contained corn syrup instead of real sugar and it used to make me go dizzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

hands down
    UK chocolate n sweets win
    the american stuff is far too sweet for my liking , they put tons of sugar into it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I still like Big Red though!! Extra do it too.. much milder.. maybe u'd like that?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

tovalee wrote:
    Anybody coming to Ohio from Ireland or the ,UK..I will pay ridiculously for milk chocolate Hob Nobs that McVities make, or for real english bitters(especially the Smiles Bitters from Bristol). :D

where in ohio are you, thats where i live and am in Ireland now. due back in a week ;)

BEAT wrote:
    where in ohio are you, thats where i live and am in Ireland now. due back in a week ;)
    no way! small world eh? I live just east of columbus. And i just got back from ireland and england late october myself... go figure :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement