Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Rankings

Options
  • 25-08-2004 6:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Having just done two new websites, I'm looking to know if anybody can say, for sure, how google ranks it's sites? I'v done (personal) sites before, where I've haven't had any real problems googling for them, but one of these sites is a commercial venture, so I'm looking to boost the rankings as much as I can.
    Apart from the "referral" system, is there anything else I can try? I'm pretty sure the meta-tag doesn't work anymore...

Cheers,
    S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

No one can say for sure; the algorithm is secret.
    Descriptive text links are important within the site as well as having as many as possible coming into it. A site map is a good way of adding lots of these. Don;t have too many (<50) links on a page.
    I think keeping the site well structured (not too deep) helps too.
    Flash content etc is not searched.
    Then there's obvious stuff like using descriptive words for the file and page titles and in the content, without spamming.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given Ryanair's homepage title has given then #1 spot for the search "easyjet low fares", I would recommend thoughtful and appropriate page titles before anything else. However, as many links as possible to your site, valid code, etc. should also help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

As MrNuked says, no-one can know for sure exactly how google ranks its web results. However, there are plenty of proven theories out there.

Meta-content is still important, but google seems to ignore keywords now, but it still values the description tag.

The title of your pages are very important as is the content on your page. Links back to your site is also very important and the use of of anchor tags also.

There are many techniques - is your seriuos look at a few of the seo forums such as www.seochat.com - you will get some good advice there. But it will take time.

Contrary to what MrNuked says - flash is now searched by Google. They have been working on it for a while now and you may have started to notice in search results in google [flash] in front of your search results. An example can be seen here http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&q=google+filetype%3Aswf&meta= - but for decent results I would still steer clear of flash!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

SeoChat have a bunch of tools for querying google et al about your site, including PR and predicted future PR.

• Advertisement
Advertisement