Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype Spam

• 25-08-2004 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I installed Skype today and made a couple of calls. I was very impressed with the quality of the sound. As I've got family in the U.S., I reckon I'll be using it quite frequently. If you haven't already tried, give it a go.

Anyway, to the point...... I received my first unsolicited Skype call a few minutes ago from someone called "Stolyenka" or something like that. I dithered about whether to answer or not and by the time I did answer I had missed the call.

I was very surprised to have received the call and Googled to see if it was a common occurence. There were, indeed, plenty of occurences. Of course, it's not as common as email Spam but it's happening.

I can understand the economics of email spam - mail millions of addresses and if you pick up a few suckers then it's been a worthwhile exercise. However, how can a one-to-one call, requiring a human on the other end, make economic sense? Perhaps the spammers (and/or scammers) have already managed to automate calls.

After the call, I immediately set my Skype options to only accept calls from people on my contact list. However, I was disappointed that I missed my first Spam call and reset it to accept calls from anyone. I'll answer the next one to see what happens. Should be interesting.

Anyone else experienced this?

Liam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Maybe it was Eircon making a winback call??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was talking to a guy (not on Skype) and he said he got a call fom someone wanting help learning English....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

One good reason not to use Skype. Eircom are bad enough, but at least you'll only get 1 jumk call every month or two. I'd go spare if i was getting several a day! (i'm assuming spam calling will get bigger).

|Anyone else remember that auto-dialer from the simpsons... just imagine that happening..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I've gotten the odd cold call from what sounded like Eastern Europe, so I'm sure using Skype makes sense as it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Was the human voice live or recorded? I believe that in the States many of the tele sales cold calls are now recorded, meaning that when you hang up the line is unavailable until the recording ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yes but those Americans have'nt managed to figure out that you can simply plug out the wire to terminate the call!

Advertisement