Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendation - Adam and Paul

• 25-08-2004 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

New Irish film Adam and Paul is being released this Friday. It's a comedy that follows the misadventures of two junkies in Dublin over the course of one day.

I saw it at the Galway Film Fleadh and to be honest I wasn't expecting much at all. I was hugely surprised then when it turned out to be one of the most entertaining films I'd seen in a good while (and probably the best Irish film for many years).

So go and check it out - you can see Dodgeball afterwards if you want to chance the old sneak in.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Is it funny haha look at the eejits or something else, cuz if I wanna look at junkies I'd go to town like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

the preview of it is on tonight, as far as i know(in ugc) with a q&a session with the director afterwards. saw the trailer, i found it mildly amusing...just not really my cup of tea loike...i might go and see it eventually

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the trailer looked.. odd
    probably will go and see it, even though I hate cinemas.. it looks like a weird enough film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

from what i've seen it looks hilarious.

"yer tv is like lookin out da window."
    "yeah, cept its cartoons"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It's not making fun of junkies per se I don't think. Granted the guys themselves are eejits but that's more to do with them than with the fact that they're junkies. Overall the film is quite balanced and treats its moments of seriousness very well without going overboard on making a point.

But don't take my word for it - go yourselves and see how good it is.

(You'd think I had something to do with the film the way I'm singing its praises.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Well...it is free to see it, if I'm bored I'll give it a look....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just looks that little bit too real..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

You'd swear that was a problem or something.

Don't worry if it does well maybe there'll be a hollywood remake with Brad Pitt and George Clooney with a few cgi aliens thrown in along with the cheesy hollywood bs that made Spiderman 2 oh so unwatchable.

Might go see this tonight.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just saw this! It's very well done and the acting is good. However, it's not a straight-out comedy. Instead it's very much a black comedy, so it can be quite bleak in parts. It also paints Dublin in a less than flattering light. Once you get adjusted to the tone, you should enjoy it. PLUS! I got a kick out of seeing my appartment in the movie. The scene looks like it was filmed in the morning so it's kinda amusing to think I'm right there behind the curtains, fast asleep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Saw it - just glad I didn't pay for it. I'd be upset if I had forked over 8.50 for this sort of 'entertainment'.

Haha, the junkie hurt himself, genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

not a good movie...

if it was on television i might have watched it...

but it wasnt worth it in the cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I came out of this wondering if I'd have enjoyed it as much if I hadn't been "in on the joke", so to speak. In other words, would I have enjoyed it if it was about a group of French junkies? English junkies? I doubt I would have.

I enjoyed it well enough, even though it really didn't have much of a discernable "plot" and some of the set-pieces were remarkably contrived. And even if it did make me want to leave halfway through to go check that my TV was okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

This was one of the worst movies i have ever seen.
    I agree with joe_chicken, it shouldve been on tv, there were moments when nothing happened at all for 10 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

hmmnnn...
    feck, i thought i might have enjoyed this... but there seems to be quite a negative reaction..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

"I had to leave Sofia"
    "Why, was she pregnant?"

The movie was a series of set pieces (some funny, some deadly serious), with a smattering of slapstick comedy and strange characters. Some of the scenes and dialogue was brilliant - entire conversations held with one or two word sentences. I really liked it - it was better than I expected.

kirn wrote:
    feck, i thought i might have enjoyed this... but there seems to be quite a negative reaction..
    I enjoyed it, and so did TmB. You might too. What you shouldn't expect is an outright comedy - if you want that check out "Dodgeball". The humor is more often black than anything anything else and, yes, it's a series of situations striung together through which our hapless characters move. I thought it had some interesting moments and the observations are more wry than anything else, yet I still laughed aloud at certain points. I felt the general grittiness of the characters and their surroundings helped give a more authenticated feel to it, although it's not quite reality TV (although shot on digital if I remember correctly, explaining the sharp look).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

iasc wrote:
    This was one of the worst movies i have ever seen.

Jesus - you musn't have seen very many movies then.

Doubtless this is quite black but I thought it was extremely well put together - but then again I am but one hamster with an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

Jesus - you musn't have seen very many movies then.

Doubtless this is quite black but I thought it was extremely well put together - but then again I am but one hamster with an opinion.

You must just watch really bad movies then if you liked this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i thought it was pretty good. i like the way it varies from being a comedy to a bleak 'jesus thats a bit bad' kinda film. like when they mug the downs syndrome guy waiting for the 16, it's funny but depressing at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

ixoy wrote:
    (although shot on digital if I remember correctly, explaining the sharp look).
    Are you sure? I thought some of the scenes, particularly those at night, looked really grainy, like it was shot on film.

Update: filmboard.ie says it was shot in 35mm.

• Advertisement

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Are you sure? I thought some of the scenes, particularly those at night, looked really grainy, like it was shot on film.

Update: filmboard.ie says it was shot in 35mm.
    Must've been some other movie I saw recently. Silly me. Well I can still see my appartment in it so that's enough for me... There I think I win this round of knowledge :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

just back myself, really enjoyed it.
    I also wonder if people who don't know Dublin (and its slang) that well would enjoy it as much, but from my POV, I did.

Very funny at times, good acting (for an irish movie, anyway), some good dialogue, slapstick moments and just funny situations. Also some really bleak moments, which don't ever seem out of place.
    I wouldn't take this as a look into the life of 2 junkies, just a black comedy in which the main characters just happen to be junkies. And yes, a lot Dublin's worst areas were shown, but I guess it makes sense, given that they're going looking for a score.

Also, one of the first Irish films where the city didn't look odd. Most I've seen, I always feel theyre was something wrong with the way the city looked on film, cant quite describe it. Was never sure if it was a) just the way the city is, b) just because I know it so well, or c) a badly shot movie. Turns out its c...

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It's a good film alright if a bit depressing. Despite all the funny bits. you come out thinking how some people and their descendants for generations get stuck into such horrible lives and how difficult it seems to break that cycle.

As for whether people unfamiliar with Dublin/Ireland would get it, I think they would - you get similar conditions in most large urban areas.

Advertisement