Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: A General Discussion And Suchlike

Options
  • 25-08-2004 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

So I'll start things off.

In Volume Two, Issue Two, there is a reference to The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, the book that Volume Two is based on (ie: the events in the book, as seen through the eyes of The League). On page six of the issue there is a conversation going on in the background of the third and fourth panels. This conversation is taken from The War Of The Worlds, where the main character asks a man he knows 'D-did you see a man in the pit? That chap that fell?'. I recommend you read the book (if you haven’t already) to get the full effect. And besides, its a great book...
    What am I saying? The entire COMIC is a direct reference to The War of the Worlds!

Also, In Issue Six, the song Hyde sings near the end ('You Should See Me Dance The Polka') is almost certainly a reference to an old film version of the book, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The black-and-white film was made in 1941 and in it, Mr. Hyde (played by Spencer Tracy I think) forces the heroine, Ivy, to sing 'You Should See Me Dance The Polka' before he, uh, ravishes her. I haven’t read the book itself (at least, not yet) so I'm not sure if the song is really from the book. Could someone confirm if it’s only from the film?

Does anybody know of any other references in the comic?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So I'll start things off.

In Volume Two, Issue Two, there is a reference to The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, the book that Volume Two is based on (ie: the events in the book, as seen through the eyes of The League). On page six of the issue there is a conversation going on in the background of the third and fourth panels. This conversation is taken from The War Of The Worlds, where the main character asks a man he knows 'D-did you see a man in the pit? That chap that fell?'. I recommend you read the book (if you haven?t already) to get the full effect. And besides, its a great book...
    What am I saying? The entire COMIC is a direct reference to The War of the Worlds!

Also, In Issue Six, the song Hyde sings near the end ('You Should See Me Dance The Polka') is almost certainly a reference to an old film version of the book, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The black-and-white film was made in 1941 and in it, Mr. Hyde (played by Spencer Tracy I think) forces the heroine, Ivy, to sing 'You Should See Me Dance The Polka' before he, uh, ravishes her. I haven?t read the book itself (at least, not yet) so I'm not sure if the song is really from the book. Could someone confirm if it?s only from the film?

Does anybody know of any other references in the comic?

Having only recently read The strange case of Jekyll and Mr Hyde, I can confirm that the song must only be a reference to the film. Furthermore, Alphonse Moreau and his strange "acquaintance" who Allan and Mina meet in the field are taken from Wells' story "The island of Dr Moreau". I suspect that the first chapter of Vol 2 is based on Wells' story "the first men on the moon", although I haven't yet read it (I have it in an anthology of his stories; I will try and read it soon to confirm this). One of Moreau's creatures is wearing a Rupert the Bear outfit, as well. There's a couple of other characters who I get the impression must be references to something or other (the child Nemo rescues from the Thames after the tripod attacks the train, Jimmy Grey; and the coach driver, William Samson senior) but I don't know what.

All in all, I have to say that between Moore's writing and O'Neill's artwork, the League has fast become one of my favourite comic series, and I hope that the inspiration to keep producing more stories about them continues. I'm already waiting impatiently for Vol 3.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

See here for a comprehensive list of annotations to both volume 1 and 2. There is a reference to something in practically every page.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

Did anyone esle think there was a bit of a slip in tone between the two volumes, by any chance? I don't think Moore was doing quite the same thing in volume two as he was in volume one. It took me by surprise a little (not a bad thing, necessarily, of course...).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

The first chapter of League volume two is a reference to the "John Carter of Mars" stories. Haven't read them myself, but read a lot about them. John Carter appears in the short story of Volume one.
    Incidentally the other Carter, Randolph, is a Lovecraft character.

Advertisement