Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic since Tuesday

• 25-08-2004 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

Seems the traffic is gone to fec since Tuesday.

Then I spotted the lights (timing) at some places had been changed. For example, the lights at the bottom of Queen street going over the Liffey are not in about 4 seconds rather than the 30 seconds. This is backing up traffic into mannor street etc. etc.

Is this to accomodate the new Luas, people going back to work...or to just pizs me off big time....

a 20 minutes drive now takes 50!!!!!! and school is not even back......

I AM MAD.....REALLY MAD...AT THIS. WHO CAN I SHOUT AT!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I feel your anger man!

Today it was nothing short of atrocious which resulted in my being late for work and getting a ticking off from my new boss. :eek:

What really pisses me off is timing of some of the traffic lights especially in and around the city centre. The result of this is plenty of open road in some areas and absolute jamming mayhem in others. My pet hate at the moment is big stupid trucks taking up half the fookin road holding everyone up. The sooner they're banned from the city centre and the Port Tunnel opens the better!

Oh my oh my it's gonna be fun when the schools open again and the road is full of stupid idiot "soccer moms" with their stupid ridiculous unnecessary gas guzzling 4wd Pajeros, X5s etc..... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Freakishly the same thing has happened in Cork. The traffic was unusually light Monday morning - I left home late and still made it to work in time. Tuesday was freakishy heavy for that hour of the morning (7:40) and though today wasn't as bad, it was pretty heavy.

I swear they set those traffic lights to create traffic :) I was drving around town one morning and though I was first in the queue at every traffic light I could not get past the next set before it went red driving at 30mph. This happened at every set of traffic lights across the city centre. I must have been caught at least 12 times.

I can just imagine some w@nker sitting there in some traffic control with monitors of all the junctions and lights in front of him thinking... Hmmm, let's see how this works etc...

What I need to do is hire that dude Seth Green's character from The Italian Job (not the original) for 30 minutes every morning and I'd be sorted! Of course that still wouldn't get rid of all the other cars on the road but I'm sure he could think of something him being such a whizzkid and whatnot. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Funny one...my wife left with the kids this morning to go to Kerry. She rings me from outside of Killarney at 9am...I arrive in work at 9:40 just as she rings me...she did 40 miles and I did 4...AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

I think I need to explore new rat runs in preperation for next week.

Anyone post anything about buses or public transport here and I'll I swear I will....

Oh jaysus I'm gonna have to start getting up nearly an hour earlier when the schools start now as well.... F uck this stupid city.

• Advertisement

WED SEPT 1ST IS THE OFFICIAL DAY OF WINTER ROAD RAGE 2004. WRR4.

If that reads like world war 4 than I made my point.

You try to be nice, you try to be kind, you respect your lane and some c**t in a van revs up the wrong lane...wedges in...and some stupid biddy lets the spa in...THIS GETS ME. Why should I sit in traffic for 5 minutes obaying the rules....

Change the lights on Queens street back to *normal*

:-) :-) Its good to talk :-) :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Yea I drive every day in and around Dublin city and today was deffo the worst. Coming home from the Naas Rd, I decided to go home (north side) going through the city rather than the m50 as I utterly despise the m50. And by god it was the worst traffic I've seen in months, pearse and Tara st in particular. Middle aged women again, causing most of the trouble ... infront of me anyway

I miss Eamon Dunphy driving home as well :-) Boards should have an audio version so you could listen to all the new posts :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

how about ye use the luas and leave the car at home? :rolleyes:

mrhappy42 wrote:
    Anyone post anything about buses or public transport here and I'll I swear I will....

I could drive to the Luas which is an hour away...

Its simple...EVEN does not matter how bad the traffic its still quicker in the car (and cheaper) so dont start that stuff...as if you would leave your car at home if you had a car park space.

The point is still the same...Monday was fine, Tuesday was cat...what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Trying to work out the logic in why one day is bad and another is good is like trying to work out the meaning of life. It is there to be pondered but there is no definitive answer. One of the days last week when it was absolutely bucketing down with rain, I thought "oh oh" here we go - mad traffic. As it happened, my journey was LESS than some of the decent sunny days we've had (yes, think back in time - we had 1 or 2). Go figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Giles wrote:
    Oh jaysus I'm gonna have to start getting up nearly an hour earlier when the schools start now as well.... F uck this stupid city.

Your right!!! less traffic= lights change faster , more traffic=lights take longer to change making MORE TRAFFIC!!!! :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, Dublin today was really bad, but in weird places.

Traffic was backed up all the way from Leonards Corner to the cross at that church place (the huge crossroads) coming out of the city.

Got into Terenure, traffic is backed up pretty much the length of Terenue rd. north, get onto Templeogue road, and it's completely empty! This road is usually jammed on a good day.

Weird. Still only added 5 minutes onto my journey though.

/me sticks tongue out at car drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I am up at 6:30 all this week to cross the city by bus to be at work for 9:30. It has been as late as 2am when I have gone to bed! This place keeps you up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mrhappy42 wrote:
    Then I spotted the lights (timing) at some places had been changed. For example, the lights at the bottom of Queen street going over the Liffey are not in about 4 seconds rather than the 30 seconds. This is backing up traffic into mannor street etc. etc.
    Instead of moaning, phone Traffic Control at 1800 293949 and they might be able to do something about it.
    I swear they set those traffic lights to create traffic :) I was drving around town one morning and though I was first in the queue at every traffic light I could not get past the next set before it went red driving at 30mph. This happened at every set of traffic lights across the city centre. I must have been caught at least 12 times.
    In other words, virtually everyone else didn't have to wait for the full time at the lights. Are you one of those that races tot he next red light? :D
    mrhappy42 wrote:
    Funny one...my wife left with the kids this morning to go to Kerry. She rings me from outside of Killarney at 9am...I arrive in work at 9:40 just as she rings me...she did 40 miles and I did 4...AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH
    Move!
    seamus wrote:
    Traffic was backed up all the way from Leonards Corner to the cross at that church place (the huge crossroads) coming out of the city.
    Christchurch?

Victor wrote:
    Christchurch?
    No, the one before that with the big garden. St Patrick's Cathedral is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

My theory is the thunderstorm on Monday night have fecked up some of the traffic light sequences. Our leccy out here in Malahide went down for half an hour, so there must have been a lightning strike somewhere. On Tuesday morning I noticed straight away that nearly all of the sequences of lights I usually pass through were different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Whats needed is more Bus lanes....NOT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

mrhappy42 wrote:
    You try to be nice, you try to be kind, you respect your lane and some c**t in a van revs up the wrong lane...wedges in...and some stupid biddy lets the spa in...THIS GETS ME. Why should I sit in traffic for 5 minutes obaying the rules....
    I feel you man. The guy whizzin up the wrong lane doesnt get me too much, its the person who let them in. Id never give them an inch.
    Feck off the wrong roundabout exit ya cúnt, youre not getting out mine! You make the gamble that you can cut in then you deserve to lose sometimes. That'l learn ya.

Cork was crazy tuesday morning also btw. Are primary schools back or something?

My lights are back to normal!!!!! I mailed a few people yesterday maybe someone listened...not the traffic is backed up where it should be :-)....back to 25 minutes this morning. Happy camper.

Thanks for listening yesterday, just had to get moan from my chest yesterday, normally dont use capital letters in mails or posts :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I feel your pain ! I travel that way myself and have noticed since the start of the week traffic has turned brutal with it being backed way up past Stoneybatter and onto the NCR. I reckon once the Luas starts up full time it'll be like this permanently. :(
    On the bright side, it was a bit better this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

Was on a bus on Whitworth road for 20 bloody minutes this morning!! About 3 cars were getting out at a time. Got onto Dorset st, no traffic to be seen!!! Should have been 15 mins early for work, but was 5 mins late. I HATE travelling anywhere in this city!!!

I'm think they tried to change lights this week and then turned them back. Anyone know if the lights are now controlled centrally or are they still local...anyone working for the traffic division in Dublin that can help us out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mrhappy42 wrote:
    I'm think they tried to change lights this week and then turned them back. Anyone know if the lights are now controlled centrally or are they still local...anyone working for the traffic division in Dublin that can help us out?
    I think it's about 500 out of 750 sets in the city that are centrally controlled. Will look for report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

yee should all start traveling to work on Bikes . :)
    its a conspiracy by the government to cut down on people using cars .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Victor wrote:
    Are you one of those that races tot he next red light?

I could not get past the next set before it went red driving at 30mph.

Surely the whole point of traffic lights is to ease traffic flow. If they held me up so much while I was keeping within the speed limit they are having the opposite effect. In theory, you should almost never have to stop in that situation, given the traffic layout in Cork city.

only reasons for lights is to allow other traffic to cross your road...pedestrians and roads that cross your road.

The ideal world has no traffic lights.

At the moment I will not be driving for 6 weeks due to broken ankle.

Hands up how many people drove their kids to school today....

Idiots.

Traffic was backed up outbound on the N4 about 1km past the Ballyfermot sliproad, from God knows where. I come off at Liffey Valley, and it was queued as far as the eye could see. Leixlip I'd wager a guess. I love my bike.

Anyone know why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It took me over an hour for this first time since the start of the summer this morning, up from an average of 40 minutes. Once the Tallaght Luas line is running full time I dread to think how long that'll take.

• Advertisement
Advertisement