Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Round, September Third

Options
  • 25-08-2004 7:28pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else waiting on it?

I asked to view my scripts, and I get to do that on the same day as this. But if I get my fisrt choice, I'ma go for it.

So, who's holding on...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Ye im holding out for no.1 aswell, if i dont get it im throwing the darts at the vacant place list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

You better start throwin darts now! Got offered my 4th option, but i was expectin at least one of my top three. So i applied for the vacant places available. They are offered to applicants on the second round, and with CAO you choose where on the list you want it. So underneath the first 3 i had previously, I added the vacant place. Now on the second round i'll be offered in order of that preference.

I'm not very good at explainin such complicated matters :rolleyes: , but basically get your name on one of the vacant places, cos even they are disappearin...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

What excatly is this vacant places thing, is it any good like?

I get how it works, but is it only crap courses or what?

[edit] Took a wild guess and looked on www.cao.ie there is only one course I would do, heritage studies in GMIT, and its 3 yaers....a national certificate. Not really what I want [/edit]

*sigh*

*crosses fingers for NUIG*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Yeah, I was offered Economics in UCD....my 6th choice.

I'll be accepting but I'm hoping for Commerce for rd two or three, plus a few extra points from the rechecks if all goes well ;)
    I'm viewing 5 different scripts, it'll be a busy weekend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yeah, ye know that whole lark of rechecks, it takes up to like six weeks, so if you go up in points, you still might not get the place in college, cuz all your places are taken up already.....GAH!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

also, was thinking of rechecks before myself, but they dont come out till october in which case you will be settled in your college and become friends with people in your course.
    if you had to move college you would have to do that again, and would of missed freshers week which is probaly best way to meet new people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If after the re-checks you have the points the course will prob be full and you won't get in for this year anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Jesjes wrote:
    Yeah, ye know that whole lark of rechecks, it takes up to like six weeks, so if you go up in points, you still might not get the place in college, cuz all your places are taken up already.....GAH!

Not necessarily, courses are required to have a certain number of places available for those who get upgraded after their rechecks. Although they'll never be able to get the number exactly right, so chances are either the points will drop again in the fourth round (or whichever one comes after the rechecks) to fill up the extra vacancies, or the course is going to be slightly over-subscribed for the first term or so, until a couple of people drop out. Either way, if your points get upgraded beyond the course's points, you are legally entitled to a place either that year, or, if you choose to defer (as you may, considering you've missed a month plus of the course), the following year.

How very informative of you Thraktor. Thank you.

I still do not wish to start a month late, if I did get rechecks, and I went up in points, managed a plance, I think I'd defer for a year rather than start late.

But, it's second round or no round for me now.

Advertisement