Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Mobile Phones

Options
  • 25-08-2004 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

My G/F got a mobile phones there in Dixons three weeks ago-vodafone, pay as you go/Nokia 3200.

Problem is its faulty, we thought no problem as they claim to have a 28 day exchange policy. we went in and they wont do anything with it, refund\excange or repair. They wanted a fiver to post it to vodafone so they could repair it.

needless to say we were irate, argues with the store manager for about 40 minutes. they say 14 days for phones and its up to vodafone to replace the phone. poined out 28 day rule, asked for a free phone as goodwill and a refund and a exchange, pretty much everything i asked they wouldnt entertain and they washed their hands on the matter. i asked where they got 14 days from and he got me a fax from vodafone saying phones only have a 14 days exchange on them. and repair after that. seems odd to me.

We have complained in writing to vodafone and thinking of Dixons as well. and have rang Consumer affairs(who just said they can offer any of the three, in this case repair)

This is crazy, no?
    tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your contract is with the seller Dixons. You have no direct relationship with Vodafone and you do not 'have to' talk to Vodafone. Practically, it might be better to do so.
    Problem is its faulty
    Was it originally faulty (whether fault was immediately aparent or not) or did you damage it?
    They wanted a fiver to post it to vodafone so they could repair it.
    Seems a bit rich. Sounds like they are trying to fob you off.
    they say 14 days for phones
    Did you have any way of being aware of any 14 day rule? Notice in shop, price tag marked "terms and condidtions" apply, etc.
    its up to vodafone to replace the phone.
    You bought a XXXX model phone. You do not have the choice of which XXXX model phone. Dixons / Vodafone may repair / replace at their choice, once you get a minimum of the phone you bought.
    asked for a free phone as goodwill and a refund and a exchange,
    By "free phone", I presume you mean replacement phone? Not that you would get 2 phones?
    i asked where they got 14 days from and he got me a fax from vodafone saying phones only have a 14 days exchange on them. and repair after that. seems odd to me.
    As above, was there any way you could have been aware of this?
    We have complained in writing to vodafone and thinking of Dixons as well.
    You should have written to Dixons first. Do so now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This typical Dixons style behaviour. What may wash in the UK will not wash here. Go for dixons, their contact details are available at www.cro.ie/search

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

All Vodafone phones have a 14 day returns policy
    All Meteor and O2 phones have a 28 day return policy.
    This should have been clearly indicated by the dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

Victor:

the phone was faulty after about 5 days, the earpiece was on constant loudspeaker regardless of settings and there was a constant fedback through the earpiece( you know the high pitched noise youd hear on a radio if someone was talking on the phone with someone listening to the station as well) it became faulty, the phone was not damaged by her

he was probably trying to fob us off, i was creating quite a stir-it was a small shop and i was talking loudly, plenty of people watching.

we had no knowledge of 14 days for vodafone phones. when we went back he showed us a leaflet that said it, but it was kept under the counter, so no one would see it. no one ever mentioned it when it was bought. No terms and conditions signs or anything. we just assumed(should have doubled checked i know) it was 28 day return\exchange policy as is the norm with dsg

as for the free phone-> near the end i asked him as a sign of customer good will and to get the matter sorted now, he should write off a phone for us. so yeah we would have 2 phones, cheeky i know but it was an option he could have chosen and one that would have satisfied us.

like i say we had no way of knowing it was 14 days, nothing was ever said to us, the leaflet was kept under the counter. smelly dixons

we will be writing to dixons. we chose vodafone first as they now have the phone for repair and hope they can replace it and not just repair it.

bond-007:
    we have the details thanks, a letter is in progress, i have a certain gents name who is senior customer services operator of all of dsg, he seems to be a starting point. i wont place his name on the net, but if anyone needs it pm me

fungus:
    according to afforementioned leaflet, o2 and meteor have 7 day exchange
    where you getting 28 from?

tom

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

didn't read above before i posted
    sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The earpiece or the speaker?
    like i say we had no way of knowing it was 14 days, nothing was ever said to us, the leaflet was kept under the counter. smelly dixons
    Chapelton v Barry UDC - you can't add a term to a contract after the contract has been completed.
    as for the free phone-> near the end i asked him as a sign of customer good will and to get the matter sorted now, he should write off a phone for us. so yeah we would have 2 phones, cheeky i know but it was an option he could have chosen and one that would have satisfied us.
    A bit more than cheeky. Replacement fair enough, second phone is a rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

fungus:
    according to afforementioned leaflet, o2 and meteor have 7 day exchange
    where you getting 28 from?

From their websites and postings at several dealers.

Look at
    http://www.meteor.ie/services/returns.html
    It says "If you are having manufacturer problems with your new phone and would like to exchange it for a new one, you must do so within 28 days from the date of purchase. Please bring your proof of purchase, i.e. your receipt from the shop where you bought it."

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Akula

Guys,

Checked with a guy at work here. if anything is faulty within 28 days of purchase you are entitled to a REPLACEMENT, not repair or the like.

Derek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭FT77

My G/F got a mobile phones there in Dixons three weeks ago-vodafone, pay as you go/Nokia 3200.

Problem is its faulty, we thought no problem as they claim to have a 28 day exchange policy. we went in and they wont do anything with it, refund\excange or repair. They wanted a fiver to post it to vodafone so they could repair it.

needless to say we were irate, argues with the store manager for about 40 minutes. they say 14 days for phones and its up to vodafone to replace the phone. poined out 28 day rule, asked for a free phone as goodwill and a refund and a exchange, pretty much everything i asked they wouldnt entertain and they washed their hands on the matter. i asked where they got 14 days from and he got me a fax from vodafone saying phones only have a 14 days exchange on them. and repair after that. seems odd to me.

We have complained in writing to vodafone and thinking of Dixons as well. and have rang Consumer affairs(who just said they can offer any of the three, in this case repair)

This is crazy, no?
    tom

Hi Tom,

personality i wouldn't buy any electrical items from any shop...i buy from the internet to be honest.....i save money.....and i've never had many problems in the last 2/3 years......

i've bought scanners,printers,mobile phone etc and saved a fortune !

anyway i'm going a bit off the topic - but - i'm getting annoy'd for ya :mad:

i hate when shops to this to people......

the nokia 3200 you bought has a 1 year warranty with nokia, ring them (01) 6319213 and just tell them its faulty and what are they going to do about it !!!

by the way 1/10 times nokia blame " liquid damage " on some problems, that they can't fix ! - BUT I COULD BE WRONG - ;)

and if they do, send the phone to me and i'll fix it !!!

best of luck with it !

Advertisement