Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best places for going on the First Date !!

• 25-08-2004 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

So, you've asked the girl of your dreams out and then after the initial Yahoo affect of her accepting, you suddenly realize you haven’t got a clue where to bring her

Well, I was thinking during the winter they have the ice skating rings in the IFSC in Dublin which would be good for breaking the ice so to speak, but its summer now... well kinda so no ice... so I was wondering what kind of places or locations you people would suggest for going on the first date???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭CareBear

Bring girls somewhere fun so you give a good impression :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Radsl wrote:
    I was wondering what kind of places or locations you people would suggest for going on the first date???
    The back seat of a cameo. Cut to the chase Radsl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

CareBear wrote:
    Bring girls somewhere fun so you give a good impression :D
    Thats what he's asking us!!
    Radsl the ice skating thing is a really cool idea - i'd be impressed if a guy picked there but as you said it's summer/autumn so thats out...I can't really think of anything "fun" to do in Dublin thou....What about something touristy like those viking splash tours - what you want is something fun and then you can go for a drink or something to eat and do some more ice breaking by chatting about what you did - then the conversation will carry on to other stuff....awwww :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Distract her with an RTE guide and shlide the log in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I would usually ask her out somewhere public, like a fairground or a party, somewhere non threatening, she doesn't feel like you're trying to move too fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It depends on the girl. Ask her opinion. Some like to be included in the decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Some suggestions:

Skydiving!
    Stand-up comedy show
    Pub in nice setting like Johnny Fox's
    Ghost Bus

My personal favourite would be skydiving if ya can find someone brave enough and you're up for it yourself! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Coffee. Cheap, you can talk and it can be quick enough that you can leave the engine running for a quick getaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Christ I hope to fcuk this has nothing to do with: Your Mother: Well she sounds like an awfully nice girl. Invite her around for afternoon tea so we can get to know each other :)

Definitely the very last choice :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Tusky wrote:
    Damn, that's funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

robbie1876 wrote:
    Damn, that's funny!
    what, the RTE Guide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

tba wrote:
    what, the RTE Guide?
    Ahahahah you said it again..... :D

robbie1876 wrote:
    Ahahahah you said it again..... :D
    Yup! Got it this time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

this thread should give you some good ideas

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=182910

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Yup! Got it this time...
    i still don't get it ..... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Tusky wrote:

This was hilarious the first time i saw it.
    THIS time it warranted a chuckle.
    Be careful, you're not gonna get much more milage out of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Victor wrote:
    Coffee. Cheap, you can talk and it can be quick enough that you can leave the engine running for a quick getaway.

This has got to be the best (apart from that RTE thing which I don't get - someone will have to explain it to me).
    For a drink first date there is no better place than upstairs in Neary's, off Grafton Street. It's quite and has comfy seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The Zoo. It's fun, will remind here of her childhood, should get her to drop her guard, you get a good chance to talk to her and I can guarantee, no-one's ever brought her there for a date before. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Sleepy wrote:
    The Zoo. It's fun, will remind here of her childhood, should get her to drop her guard, you get a good chance to talk to her and I can guarantee, no-one's ever brought her there for a date before. ;)

id second this suggestion. plenty of quiet corners and garden paths for you to lead her down if you know what i mean. also if you have a body odour problem you can blame it on the animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

plenty of feeces (sp) flinging monkeys and bad smelling animal houses. Kinda like my local

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

As Giles said, go skydiving!!! At least she'll think you're interesting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

The national gallery. It might be a good idea if you do a bit of homework on some of the artists. Nice coffee shop in there too. Then to the Chatham Lounge as someone said for a rake of pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Having a car is handy, I brought a nice gal up to Powerscourt Waterfalls. It's cool up there. Near Eniskerry where you can get a bite to eat etc. It's all woodland and waterfalls and rivers. Very romantic. A few days after she asked me to go on a Dublin Tour Bus with her. I was impressed. Not the typical Cinema or pub suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cormie wrote:
    Having a car is handy, I brought a nice gal up to Powerscourt Waterfalls. It's cool up there. Near Eniskerry where you can get a bite to eat etc. It's all woodland and waterfalls and rivers. Very romantic. A few days after she asked me to go on a Dublin Tour Bus with her. I was impressed. Not the typical Cinema or pub suggestion.
    see thats why i suggested the spash tours!!! The bus drives into the water and you sail around - great fun!! :p YAaaay now I want to go!! :p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

oh yeah that one! that cud be a tad more interesting then the normal coastal tour one, do ya'll have to wear viking hats? Sexy or what! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

How about the theatre. It's a bit on the posh side but it's it's something diffrent. then simply ruin the magical evening slipin' 'em the mickey! ;) GiggadyGiggadyGiggady!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Igy wrote:
    This was hilarious the first time i saw it.
    THIS time it warranted a chuckle.
    Be careful, you're not gonna get much more milage out of it ;)

Oh aint I ? I try and whip it out at every social occasion and the odd thread , the comment not the RTE guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Depends on the woman, as has already been suggested, but basically you want to avoid anything that allows people to freeze with shyness/go into show-off overdrive out of terror. So the suggestions about the zoo and skydiving and Powerscourt and so on are good.

You want to show the gal a good time; you want her to see you as My Hero; you want to get to know her (is she a crazed psycho?); you want conversation to be easy.

So if she's an oh-lawd-i've-broken-a-nail sort, forget the skydiving, but maybe go for a walk along Dun Laoghaire Pier (if it's balmy) followed by a snack in Mao. If she's a feisty, go-for-it type, skydiving will be good. If she's the future mother of your six children, it has to be Powerscourt (make sure to talk Irish, though - bionn a lán stáitséirbhísigh ag siúilslébhte agus iad ag labhairt Gaeilge go flúirseach agus go líofacht).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Personally I prefer to go to a nice quite pub and have a drink and chat. Maybe go to pub where there is a pool table. I had my first official date with one of ex's in a quiet pub and there was a pool table there so we had a few games of pool. This really broke the ice. I wasn't great at playing and we had fun with him trying to teach me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

good stand up show, then drinks afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

alienhead wrote:

Solid suggestion. You can assess her sense of humour (absolutely crucial IMHO) and then go from there. Plus laughing induces endorphins which can only be a good thing.

Comedy is definitely good. A few months back a mate of mine asked me if I wanted to go to Ed Byrne. His gf couldn't make it at the last minute. So we met for a couple of pints and went to the show.

The guy was absolutely hilarious - not strictly clean humour, though. There was a couple in from of us who started a whispering conversation and walked out.

We reckoned it was embarassment 'cos neither of them had sex before (with each other or probably anybody). Could see it being a problem too if gf was a virgin and being early twenties.

That's the only reservation I'd have with stand-up. Generally an excellent choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

alienhead wrote:
    Ah! For a moment I thought you meant a knee-trembler down the laneway. ;)

Advertisement