Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Effing Bandon Gardaí

Options
  • 25-08-2004 8:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently the person that owned the beamer before me has received a speeding ticket for 48 in a 30 down Bandon way. I'm pretty careful down that way because I know what fascist pr1cks the traffic cops are like there, but let's say it was me: What's the story with this kind of unattended ticket? Do they have to have a photograph? Do they require a printout from the speedgun? I've already got two points on my licence, I don't want any more.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

The ticket must have a date on it, and your change of ownership document likewise would have a later date...I can't see that there's any problem...or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dahamsta wrote:
    Apparently the person that owned the beamer before me has received a speeding ticket for 48 in a 30 down Bandon way. I'm pretty careful down that way because I know what fascist pr1cks the traffic cops are like there, but let's say it was me:
    Say "hi" to Sgt. Moore :D
    What's the story with this kind of unattended ticket?
    Just show them the paperwork to say you just bought the car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The guy seems pretty confident that it was issued after I bought the car, which is why I said "let's say it was me". :) Seriously though, I was down that direction, I'm just surprised I was speeding there, and I'm wondering if I can challenge it based on the recent court case. I'm also wondering why they wouldn't have pulled me. I'm not aware of any speed cams down that way, and I'd be surprised if one of the Transits was down there.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It might have been a manned checkpoint with laser + recording equipment. This setup can be seen in the ad on telly at the moment where the cops have a speed trap on a motorway bridge (the music that plays during the ad is "everybody's got to learn sometime" by The Corgis, bit of useless info for you)

The only way to sort this is to have a look at the speeding ticket. There will be info on it which will make things a lot clearer.

It's possible that the previous owner was stopped at a manned checkpoint, was given a ticket and is now trying to wriggle his way out of it by claiming that it's actually an "unmanned" ticket and claiming some mix up over the car ownership. Investiagte this further - something sounds amiss here.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

dahamsta wrote:
    The guy seems pretty confident that it was issued after I bought the car
    If they cannot provide the date and time and the fascist pr1ck that issued the ticket then something is amiss, phone them up and demand to speak to the individual to confirm the details.

• Advertisement

Haven't even got the ticket yet, but you can be sure I will when I know a bit more about it, thanks. Think I'll just let it sit now for a while, the ticket ain't made out to me so it's not my problem. Yet.

adam

Right, they obviously got it sorted out because I received a "Fixed Penalty Notice" in the post the other day, for 43 in the Link Road 30 in Bandon. Personally I think that's stretching things a bit and I'm inclined to challenge it, but I don't know what the judges are like down that way. Erratic is what I've heard tell.

I contacted the Garda station and enquired as to why I hadn't been stopped, and was told that it was a van parked at the side of the road, which takes a photo. I asked for a copy of the photo and I was told that they could send it out if I wanted, but it was very poor quality and that I was welcome to call in to view it if I wished. Which is bizarre in my view.

I asked for a copy anyway, and asked if the number plate was clearly visible if the photo was poor quality; she said it was. Then I asked if I could get a copy of a calibration certificate for the equipment in the van, and the person got a bit shaky on the details and referred me to the Sergeant of the Traffic Unit down there. I'll call him tomorrow.

So where do I stand with this guys? Will the calibration route work, or did they close that loophole after the recent challenge? Is it worth challenging it anyway? I have two points on my licence and I don't want any more, and this seems like a borderline case, but I'd be right ticked off if I got four instead. Opinions welcome.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I'm unfamiliar with the case you refer to, but the difference between 48 and 30 is a broken radar gun, not bad calibration.

Get the photo by all means, as far as i know the driver is visible in them and even if it is bad quality you should be able to recognise yourself. If it is you, I wouldn't bother on the challenge, it seems to me that there's a strong chance of you getting 4 points.

If you're sure, or become sure it isn't you, then I would do everything possible to avoid accepting someone elses points.

And in all fairness, booking someone for 48 in a 30 isn't really fascist behaviour, it's booking someone who was breaking the law. Even if the 30 limit was unjustified on that particular stretch, you/he were/was 60% over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

impr0v wrote:
    Get the photo by all means, as far as i know the driver is visible in them and even if it is bad quality you should be able to recognise yourself. If it is you, I wouldn't bother on the challenge, it seems to me that there's a strong chance of you getting 4 points.
    On that - do you think it's fair that you're points can be doubled for challenging it in court. Kind of negates our constitutional right to be heard in court doesn't it?

But as the law stands I agree. Don't challenge it unless it's not you in the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

No, I think the threat of the imposition of four points on a driver upon being unsuccessful in a challenge is a much better example of fascist behaviour, though I can see the reasoning behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The points for speeding are 4 not 2 but you're being given a reduced penalty if you accept it and pay up. If you go to court and loose you're given the original 4 points, you're not penalised an 'additional' 2 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Tom-ah-to, To-may-to. Either way you're being given an incentive to not exercise your right to a fair hearing. As Impr0v said, I understand the reasoning behind it - preventing flippant cases - but not sure whether I agree with the solution. I can see the legality of it being challenged by someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Macros42 wrote:
    Either way you're being given an incentive to not exercise your right to a fair hearing

Yes very unfair and in Adam's situation where you already have 2 points, you can't really afford to have 6 :(

It would be fair if you decide to go to court and loose, to have to pay all costs, NOT get additional points...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hey Adam,

can I ask the date you 'allegedly' got the ticket ??

I'm challenging a recent one from the Link Road right now (30mph on a bypass !! - should be a candidate for a Darwin Award)....I was supposedly clocked at 44 in the 30 zone.....

Anyhoo......I actually had a courtesy car that day & although I was driving the link road, I was playing with the cruise control & had it set to 30mph !!!

As the car was a 04 Alfa, I can't see the clock being that far out, so I've gone for the challenge route :eek: - albeit like you I do already have 2 points (I think - paid the fine but have never been notified).

I was also clocked by a van, but there's something VERY dodgy going on..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Andip wrote:
    30mph on a bypass !! - should be a candidate for a Darwin Award

You probably mean something like muppet of the week for whoever put that in place? Darwin award is something rather different ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dahamsta wrote:

I asked for a copy anyway, and asked if the number plate was clearly visible if the photo was poor quality; she said it was. Then I asked if I could get a copy of a calibration certificate for the equipment in the van, and the person got a bit shaky on the details and referred me to the Sergeant of the Traffic Unit down there. I'll call him tomorrow.

So where do I stand with this guys? Will the calibration route work, or did they close that loophole after the recent challenge? Is it worth challenging it anyway? I have two points on my licence and I don't want any more, and this seems like a borderline case, but I'd be right ticked off if I got four instead. Opinions welcome.

adam

I'd take the medicine and stop speeding! Seriously 43 in a 30 is not really
    something you can contest if thier equipment is working. 4 points better than 6.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

unkel wrote:
    You probably mean something like muppet of the week for whoever put that in place? Darwin award is something rather different ;)

Thats the one Unkel.....been a loooooong day :D

[EDIT: Ah, I see now. See my last post guys, it's 43, not 48.]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ya were caught speeding, 13 miles an hour makes a big difference ya know! Jus pay up, quit your whining, think of it as a lesson learned

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Andip wrote:
    (30mph on a bypass !!
    It's a terrible by-pass anyway. The designer should be given a special prize for being a special person. All of which is irrelevant to Adam's situation of course.

I'm too lazy to look up the relevant Act (I think Victor posted something relevant a good while back) but as far as I remember the equipment is presumed to be calibrated correctly and you don't get to question its accuracy. Which I very strongly don't agree with by the way - I'd be happy if it could be proved that the thing had been calibrated correctly in the past six months and a cert could be obtained of this.

Even at 43 rather than 48, the machine would still pretty much need to be broken to get your speed wrong by 45ish percent. Not that that's impossible mind.

• Advertisement

Don't mind the calibration thing, that's a side issue. This is the case I'm talking about -- it's not about calibration, it's about the receipt. Anyone got an opinion on how this applies to, eh, let's say "unattended" Fixed Charged Penalties?

WTF was the van doing in Bandon anyway? And why is the "bypass" a 30? I think a trip down there after I've gotten the photo might be a good idea. The Bandon Traffic cops are complete assh0les, it'd be just like them to park the van in front of the speed limit sign.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

dahamsta, if you feel that you may be innocent then fight it, dont roll over and let the cops tickle your belly, a friend of mine was stopped on paddys day with 17 pints in him, the cops made such a balls of the case he got off and their super was called in to account for their actions, not that i am defending his actions, but the cops can present very weak cases at times and a challenge in the courts normally knocks their case dead.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

dahamsta wrote:
    Don't mind the calibration thing, that's a side issue. This is the case I'm talking about -- it's not about calibration, it's about the receipt. Anyone got an opinion on how this applies to, eh, let's say "unattended" Fixed Charged Penalties?

WTF was the van doing in Bandon anyway? And why is the "bypass" a 30?
    adam

The van was on Skehard Road last week around a lunchtime which was surprising so maybe they are bringing it on tour.. also notice that the tripod camera is back again on the south ring near the Bloomfield Interchange - it was nowhere to be seen for months during the roadworks...

On that - do you think it's fair that you're points can be doubled for challenging it in court.
    No, they are halved if you plead guilty and don't tie up court time.

sceptre wrote:
    It's a terrible by-pass anyway. The designer should be given a special prize for being a special person. All of which is irrelevant to Adam's situation of course.

I'm too lazy to look up the relevant Act (I think Victor posted something relevant a good while back) but as far as I remember the equipment is presumed to be calibrated correctly and you don't get to question its accuracy. Which I very strongly don't agree with by the way - I'd be happy if it could be proved that the thing had been calibrated correctly in the past six months and a cert could be obtained of this.

I am not saying you are wrong about there being such a law but wouldn't that go against the more fundamental laws of criminal prosecutions?
    The burden is on the state to prove a case so wouldn't that mean that they would have to prove that the equipment was accurate?

John R wrote:
    The burden is on the state to prove a case so wouldn't that mean that they would have to prove that the equipment was accurate?
    Normally yes. However, the law was specificly worded to say the presumption is that the equipment is in order. Otherwise, every year you would have hundreds of thousands of people challeging the accuracy of a few dozen / hundred pieces of equipment. They would spend more time in court than on the street.

And of course you'd have the lawyers of people with money to burn asking that the equipment used to test the calibration of the speeding equipment be tested. And the equipment used to test that be tested. Which makes the presumption fair enough to a degree. However isn't the presumption dangerous? Shouldn't calibration certificates be required occasionally, say in $n random test cases per year? Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

adam

I understand they are tested every six months or so at manufacturer level.

Victor wrote:
    Normally yes. However, the law was specificly worded to say the presumption is that the equipment is in order. Otherwise, every year you would have hundreds of thousands of people challeging the accuracy of a few dozen / hundred pieces of equipment. They would spend more time in court than on the street.

That sound like a very shaky piece of legislation to me. The elimination of due process for the sake of expediency is also a very dangerous precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

The points for speeding are 4 not 2 but you're being given a reduced penalty if you accept it and pay up. If you go to court and loose you're given the original 4 points, you're not penalised an 'additional' 2 points.

Semantics really isn't it? The reason they do this is to discourage(deter) people to defend themselves. Thats pretty unconstitutional by any standards. Just because its handier for the govt is no excuse whatsoever.

I reckon if you were going to fight this the best guarantee would be to fight the bill itself - arguing that it is unconstitutional and that people are afraid to defend themselves as they get double the punishment. This would effectively wipe all points though.

Do these vans have a backup measurement system to ensure that the gun isn't getting a misreading? I read about a man in england(think he was a mayor or something) who was done for speeding by a fixed a camera and when he requested the footage he was able to work out by the lines on the road that he was well under the limit. Apparently these guns aren't foolproof and are alot more prone to mistakes than people realise - probably because people are afraid to defend themselves.

Advertisement