Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between two presidents.

Options
  • 25-08-2004 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching on Sky News, Clinton book signing in Easons with lots of public around him wanting to get a book signed as he happily chats to them.

Compare that to Bush turning up at dromoland surrounded by tons of police, army, secret service and a large buffer zone.

I wonder when Bush leaves office will he ever get a warm welcome outside of the US like Clinton does?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I hope the Gardai were warning any young women wearing blue dresses to go home and change before they got too close to Slick at the signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

He may get a warm welcome alright. They'll try to burn him at the stake.

He won't be signing any books. He'd hardly be able to spell his name - the 3 lettered version - let alone write a book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

Poll cast on tv3 tonight, "was Clinton a good president?"
    result:
    83% say yes
    17% say no

Why do we like him so much?

because he plays the saxomophome, can down a pint of guiness in under 60 seconds and is acomplished in the art of cunnilingus...oh and there was that peace in Ireland thing-have to love Bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

He did great work for the peace process when he was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You only have to look at what we have now to see why we like Clinton. There was the peace process, but there was a lot more to him than that. He was a positive friendly face for America. A clever man, very charismatic with good political skills and qualities. A good diplomat. An all-round good politician. He had his faults, as we all know, and some policies of American administrations are always a problem, but if America could have done, they'd have given him a third term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

TomF wrote:
    I hope the Gardai were warning any young women wearing blue dresses to go home and change before they got too close to Slick at the signing.

A better comedian would of make a joke about cigars and no smoking ban in Ireland. Try harder next time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

keu wrote:
    Why do we like him so much?
    1. Charisma Charisma Charisma
    2. Northern Ireland

Clinton did make some awful decisions too, but his actions weren't as scrutinised as Bush's are. That, and he wasn't considered as gigantic a risk to international security, and he managed to make semi-coherent speeches without saying something stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

There was his great charisma and personality.
    He has a high level of intelligence.
    He worked hard for peace in Northern Ireland and the Middle East by holding meetings and talking with both sides, which was great considering the presidents before and after him (Bush Snr. and Jnr.) are more likely to work for peace by starting wars against all non-Republicans.

Was it Clinton who had America in the Kyoto Agreement? I think it was, and that is a major thing for an American president to do in my opinion.

Overall, he was a very good President, and a great diplomat. And he was often compared to JFK, so of course we would love him in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Was it Clinton who had America in the Kyoto Agreement? I think it was, and that is a major thing for an American president to do in my opinion.

Clinton joined Kyoto very shortly before he left office. he knew he couldn't get it passed so joined it merely to delay having to reject it. Thats exactly what happened, he dodged the flak and Bush is now widely considered to have decided to reject it. If Clinton had had a third term one of his first actions would have been to reject the Kyoto protocol.

Its also slightly unfair to judge the two atm. One (Bill) is being judged on his overall presidency. Bush is being judged on day to day stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

vorbis wrote:
    Clinton joined Kyoto very shortly before he left office. he knew he couldn't get it passed so joined it merely to delay having to reject it. Thats exactly what happened, he dodged the flak and Bush is now widely considered to have decided to reject it. If Clinton had had a third term one of his first actions would have been to reject the Kyoto protocol.

Indeed, and I wish people would drop the Kyoto as an argument, as it is kind of unfair to the US when a lot of other countries also dropped it. It also was a bit flawed (for example China would be allowed pollute more).
    Its also slightly unfair to judge the two atm. One (Bill) is being judged on his overall presidency. Bush is being judged on day to day stuff.

Because Clintons is over. I don't think it matters for Bush day to day or overall (its both a mess). But there is another thread for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Bill Clinton for president!!!

Lets give him Irish Citizenship for his work up North and make him run against MacAleese in November... That would really heat things up and to be honest it would get him more involved in the Peace process again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Hobbes wrote:
    A better comedian would of make a joke about cigars and no smoking ban in Ireland. Try harder next time. :rolleyes:

but sure he never inhaled anyway.

Advertisement