Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest and Best Satellite broadband

Options
  • 25-08-2004 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me Cheapest and Best Satellite broadband option. Both 1 way and 2 way.
    I'm moving to the sticks and the house is 10 miles from an exchange. I checked numbers from around the area with Eircom and no joy. So its Satellite for me. But what is the cheapest reliable option :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

http://www.irishwan.org/

Wireless is better , VSAT is for the truly truly desperate

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Eircom resell Mediasats "B DSL " package.
    Digiweb also offer Sat net access.

By the way, one way sat is not broadband. Not according to the definiton from the OECD and the ITU and the information society anyway. I'm of the same belief for two way.

I believe Ronan|Raven is currently compiling a list of Sat Net Access providers in Ireland and their pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Digiweb also offer Sat net access

The cost of install and equipment costs make it prohibtitly too expensive, circa. €1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

Its cheaper than you think.

All you have to do is run a cable from your SKY satellite dish if you have a SKY+ or a quad LNB.
    I think the modem then is €200 - €300 these days

Then there are various options depending on what cap you want etc.

Read this link

http://groups.google.ie/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=f313d646.0405251410.724c8b4c%40posting.google.com&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dcost%2Bof%2Bisdn%2Bin%2Bireland%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3Df313d646.0405251410.724c8b4c%2540posting.google.com%26rnum%3D3

You wont notice the latencey for regular surfing and downloads.
    Only for games and video conferencing and the like.

The SKY dish option is 1 way only and requires a phone line for the outbound leg. Silvermead and CPSat have transponders on sats that can be picked up on a SKY dish but most other VSats are pointing the 'wrong way' and will therefore require a dedicated dish.

Having said that it is a cheap and cheerful add on to an existing sat dish. Modem and New LNB cost about €200 max between them. Skystar is the standard modem.

The one way technology IS Ok for browsing/downloads and mail .

It is useless for IM . VoiP , VPN access , ISDN is better for those . You should have ISDN for the outbound leg anyway to compensate somewhat for the inbound lag.

M

• Advertisement

Oh for countrywide DSL :)

Mediasats prices are actually much much lower in reality than the prices they have advertised on their website.

If you call them you'll get the latest prices. Their website is completely out of date, so dont attemp to go through Eircom to buy Mediasats product. Eircom will charge you full price and pocket the change.

pollyantic wrote:
    Mediasats prices are actually much much lower in reality than the prices they have advertised on their website.

They don't appear to answer their email either. I wanted to get their prices as IrelandOffline are creating a pricing comparison chart for all the various flavours of net access options out there.

When a company that provides net access doesn't answer it's emails or keep it's site up to date should you trust their abilities in other areas of technology ?

damien.m wrote:
    They don't appear to answer their email either. I wanted to get their prices as IrelandOffline are creating a pricing comparison chart for all the various flavours of net access options out there.

When a company that provides net access doesn't answer it's emails or keep it's site up to date should you trust their abilities in other areas of technology ?

You have a point there.
    They seemed a bit amateurish to me when i was talking to them. but i suppose once its installed you're ok.
    Give them a call and discuss the prices. they arent fixed in stone either.
    Also dont ask them to email them to you. You'll never get it. i dont think they know how to use email at all. :)

Would they know what a Ladder does ?

M

Muck wrote:
    Would they know what a Ladder does ?

Wrecks a fine ****ing pair of tights that you just purchased in Brown Thomas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

damien.m wrote:
    Wrecks a fine ****ing pair of tights that you just purchased in Brown Thomas ?

And you thought of that why?????????????? :D

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Busdriver

Hi, why not try http://www.cpbb.co.uk/cpsat/index.html 256 @ £18.50
    0r 512 @ £28.50 they cover all of Ireland and replied to my emails quickly, haven't had it installed yet though... Hope it works :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Do I need a dialup connection to use this service ?
    Yes you do. You can use your existing ISP dial up connection or we can arrange an 0845 connection, which is charged at normal local rate.

So its a one way service, you still need a dial up connection :(

john

Advertisement