Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help with an error msg.

Options
  • 26-08-2004 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bit confused by this:
    Left the laptop (XP Home) running last night to try and defrag the fairly stuffed HD. I had done by best to clear out enough space for it but I could only get 11 of the 15% it asks for to successfully defrag...Anyway it lets you start it so I did so...

In the morning it's still on but at the login screen. Major error window pops up and gives this:

The system has recovered from a serious error:

BCCode : 7a BCP1 : C03E7868 BCP2 : C000000E BCP3 : F9E1A806
    BCP4 : 017D7860 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 768_1

File involved:
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini082504-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

Anyone explain what and why?

P.S. If that SP thingy refers to upgrading I'm planning to do all that when I get my good connection in a week or two - so don't go hard on me :D

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

As far as I am aware BCCode is related to the graphics/video card.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

Cause

This issue may occur if the driver for the video adapter is the incorrect version.

Resolution

To resolve this issue, install build 6.13.3276 of the Windows XP display driver for the ATI RADEON 64 MB DDR video adapter. To do this, visit the following ATI Technologies, Inc., Web site:

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/powered.html

If either this link or build is no longer current, visit the following ATI Web site to inquire about the availability of an updated driver for the ATI RADEON 64 MB DDR video adapter:

http://support.ati.com

To download and install the driver, start the computer in Safe mode and use the Networking option. To do this, follow these steps:

1) Restart the computer.

2) When you receive the following message, press F8:

Please select the operating system to start

3) On the Windows Advanced Option Menu screen, use the ARROW keys to select Safe mode with Networking, and then press ENTER.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

That should work, tell me how you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

That looks like an application error to me.

Have you checked out your event viewer (start-> run-> eventvwr.exe) under the system and application nodes for errors relating to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I am very sure that it is what I stated above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks guys.

Sorry to say it but the error logs show this:
    Application: No errors in the last week except Word crashing twice...
    System: Error Log corrupt! No items to show in this view...

Argh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

The reason you didn't get an error log was because it was a hard disk Controller error in the BIOS Setting that Xp Configures.

When XP starts up for the Very first time it records a full log of all the hard ware configurations in your PC. Well actually every operating system does this. But Xp however decides to Boot from the record in the BIOS chip rather than from a stored set of Config and registry settings. This is why XP is generally faster to boot up than the other versions of Windows.

Anyway what I think happened to your PC was the fact you only had 11% free space rather than 15%. XP can (Technically) still do a Defrag but it has to make a lot of quick changes on the hard drive (File moving, RPM's and so on and so forth). The thing is though as XP is continually monitoring the hardware configurations of your PC using the BIOS chip as a blueprint if the changes on the Hard Drive are a bit much the Chip will send XP an error stating the the Configs have changed and will cause the machine to crash at the Hardware level, so XP doesn't get the chance to record an Error in the Logs.

There you go, thats my explaination. Give that a bash. Your going to need to clear the full 15% MINIMUM for the Defrag to be uneventful

PS: BCCODE is referring to the Memory module in the BIOS CHIP that found the Error. Just for future reference.
    Cheers
    Eldarin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've ordered a new HD so that should help! :)

Advertisement