Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meeting members of the oposite sex in Limerick

• 26-08-2004 2:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Have never started a thread like this so forgive me if I become misunderstood

What I want to know is where in Limerick City would you go if you wanted to meet someone/pull/make "friends" with members of the opposite sex.

anyone out there from limerick that knows

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

/me resists making limerick jokes.....

having being in limrick only once, i cant really comment,
    but i'd suggest pub's, clubs, cáfe's, even a local park,
    women are everywhere tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

/me resists making limerick jokes.....

having being in limrick only once, i cant really comment,
    but i'd suggest pub's, clubs, cáfe's, even a local park,
    women are everywhere tbh

Yeah but there are some dodgy places out there and most of the places that I go nowadays are full of couples, or seem to be full of couples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

even a local park,

dunno aobut that, unless you want to look like a pedo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

a local park ?

Hes looking to pick up women not children.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

just a suggestion,

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote:
    a local park ?

Hes looking to pick up women not children.

Well not all mothers are atatched, although here in limerick not all of them are women yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jamesobrady

Billy,
    When i was livin in limerick for a few years the best women meeters i found were the 80's nightclub on a friday in that hotel on oconnell street.....and the pub under it...The shibeen its called!
    I never liked the nightclubs up the other end of town....waaahhhyyy too much drink spiking going on there. not to mention psycho steroid taking kickboxing bouncers looking for someone to give them a reason to "defend themselves" !

If your into movies the film theatre beside the NONAME clothes shop has a good crowd going to it and they all go for a drink after ....i think they hang out in The Bank...and are all quite arty. Which if you're into that then sorted!

One of my friends ther met his gf in easons....just started talking to her.
    Women from limerick city i found to be difficult to relate to....they're all in the "what car do you drive and what do you work at" buzz. Any people i met from out side the city were extremely approachable and friendly...even about showing disinterest.

Avoid hoopy earrings.
    And blonde girls originally from Ballinanty.

Its maybe obvious and cliched...but truthfully, find an evening class to go to...a gym..martial arts(limerick has the best clubs per square mile then anywhere i've been) you know? When you get to bump into someone you know to see and like pick up conversation with them....if it happens it happens.

If you just want a no-strings kind of thing then go into one of the adult shops and get a contact magazine.....

...basically....my advice would be decide on what it is you want and find something to put you in a position to meet somebody in a situation that could present opportunities.
    Nobody i know has met their gf's in loud places. All of them made the first move. The line they used was always along the lines of "Hi my name is....i had to come over and say hello".....sounds lame...but its true. All of them were sober when they met....they all think that was the big factor.

Oh..wow..how did i forget......Dolans Warehouse/pub on the docks....go to as many live gigs as you find interest to.Women all over the place. The actual pub is excellent too. I lived 10secs away from the place and only went once. I missed The Frames in their pre-famous stage. Only caught up with tehm in Marley Park...what a gig.

The thing about going to a live gig or the 80's night is you can go alone and feel unpressured. Irish society revolves around groups of people and drink-doing something alone is difficult and pressured i find. But at the end of the day....none of your friends are going to talk a girl into being with you...and if they did....would you have such low self-esteem that you'd respond?

Wear clean clothes, cost unimportant,brand unimportant, clean your shoes, be hygenic, don't talk about sex even if funny innuendo(situation dependant),be polite, introduce yourself and remember her name after she tells you it, don't get drunk, if they're not interested so what-their loss...you're obviously a self conscious and honest enough guy if you have the balls to start this forum. I applaud you.

Hope this is some help.....limerick is a great place if your willing to start conversations....i never did as much as i should have and i regret it. I now live in Sligo where conversation apparantly isn't good enough. You have to have hair and good looks and sheet like that!
    By the way, in all honesty i think the idea of internet dating is a good one....you get to correspond with someone without the tension of walking over to a crowd and becoming possible entertainment for self-obsessed barbie dolls. You get to swap photos, and if you don't like each other there's no insults...no offense....just another try.

Im single and not always ok with that.....but anyone i've ever met its never been intentional..always some sort of quirky unexpected situation where we got talking and asked if she'd like to meet again. Oh...bonus point....asking a girl if she would like to see you again first seems to be more acceptable then asking for a number. Swapping of numbers is an unspoken necessity if the answer is yes.

Best of luck........aim really high........then even a compromise is still pretty good.

My apologies for my delay in replying, Boards.ie was having its 3:30 am hissy fit as I was about to post.
    When i was livin in limerick for a few years the best women meeters i found were the 80's nightclub on a friday in that hotel on oconnell street.....and the pub under it...The shibeen its called!

I used to frequent the Sibin, but alas the Royal George Hotel where it is situated has since closed down and is about to be demolished. I have yet to try the Sibin Nua. I think it is located in Nestors old spot on O'Connell Street now.
    Avoid hoopy earrings.
    And blonde girls originally from Ballinanty.

lol I learned that one the hard way and you can add southill to that too there are a few of them where i work.
    Oh..wow..how did i forget......Dolans Warehouse/pub on the docks....go to as many live gigs as you find interest to.Women all over the place. The actual pub is excellent too. I lived 10secs away from the place and only went once. I missed The Frames in their pre-famous stage. Only caught up with tehm in Marley Park...what a gig.

Now there is an idea. and even if you dont find someone there you get to hear great music and if a few friends went along, a laugh too.

Thanks for the reply jamesobrady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Meeting members of the oposite sex in Limerick
    I hear that they have sheep of both sexes on many a hill in south / west Limerick. :D

Victor wrote:
    I hear that they have sheep of both sexes on many a hill in south / west Limerick. :D

whatever your into

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Wait 3 weeks till college starts.

The Icon on tuesday and wednesday nights.

Problem solved tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

An interesting fact about Limerick. There is over twice the amount of women than there is guys in this city.
    It isnt too hard to find women about, McDaids seems to have a nice enough selection, thats the pub near The Market night club.
    Trinity Rooms is also decent enough on some nights, but its always too packed, and i hate the place. But the bar just outside is nice (the red rooms), and its generally not too bad.
    Course, most of the women in this city tend to look mutaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

spoon wrote:
    An interesting fact about Limerick. There is over twice the amount of women than there is guys in this city.
    An idiot born every minute. Tell me where it says that in the Census. www.cso.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Victor wrote:
    An idiot born every minute. Tell me where it says that in the Census. www.cso.ie

Perhaps he is into the older age group, lots more women than men in the over 65 category. :eek:

The People's park isn't that absurd...watch out for the high knacker numbers around 4pm on school days though...be careful.

If you wait for college to come back then try and find some Mary Isle girls....they're thick as **** but anything in trousers gets their attention.
    Avoid hoopy earrings. And blonde girls originally from Ballinanty.
    lol I learned that one the hard way and you can add southill to that too there are a few of them where i work.

There's nothing quite as fear inducing and terrifiying as having a knacker female take a fancy to you. Generally they are clad all in cheap pink clothing..and require copious amounts of "fags"....to Southill add girls from Moyross, Ballinacurra Weston and Clarina Park.

Where do you work by the way? Dell?

By the way anyone have real horror stories of approaching/being approached by the opposite sex?

I was sitting at a bus stop once and a girl came along and remarked upon the weather...to which I replied. She then began to ask me question after question of where I lived, what I did, everything. She then told me she was pregnant, the father didn't want it, she was back home at her parents and that she was free for the day *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

This was all in a few sentences after me just saying the weather wasnt too bad today. She then began stalking me onto the bus but I dived into one of those single seats....thankfully she got the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

JAmes O Bradys points and well written speech seem to have gone unnoticed.
    Made for a very interesting read, would like to see more of your witty answers. Reminided me of the Sunscreen speech.... one baz luhrman made a song of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

By the way anyone have real horror stories of approaching/being approached by the opposite sex?

Was in Wicklow town a few weeks ago... scary place.

Decided to take a stroll up to the local night club at about 1 o'clock (half sober).

First, I got propositioned by a bloke which I think was the second time ever in my life (I know that is the same sex, not really horror story either but kinda freaked me out).

[At no stage in this exchange was I unpleasant.]
    Him: Do you play rugby?
    Me: No.
    Him: Oh.. I'm looking for a rugby player.
    Me: Oh, I think I saw one over there.
    [Me points left, exits stage right]

Second, this drunk sweaty bird tried to lob the gob on me. I'm quite tall so generally have to bend down (or something like that, do it subconciously so not quite sure how it works) to kiss girls.

It was so funny, I just stood up straight and she couldn't reach. Think she was too drunk to know what was going on. Eventually one of her mates figured out what was happening and pulled her away. I just said to the mate:
    "I'm sure she's a lovely girl but she's far too locked".

After experiencing that I will never try to pick up sober girls when I'm trolleyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Mear wrote:
    JAmes O Bradys points and well written speech seem to have gone unnoticed.
    Made for a very interesting read, would like to see more of your witty answers. Reminided me of the Sunscreen speech.... one baz luhrman made a song of.

I read it all. Makes sense.

Takes a lot of balls (or drink) to go up to a group of girls and chat to one of them.

I did it on thursday in Dakota with a lot of drink on me. Was chatting to a gorgeous girl from Templeogue but as per my previous post, no point trying to chat girls up when your locked. It's just not attractive.

I reckon if you do it sober once with positive effects then it would be easy after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

would you go if you wanted to meet someone/pull/make "friends" with members of the opposite sex.

anyone out there from limerick that knows

CORR!! BURDS!

Cheers for the compliments peoples.
    I lik riting i do.
    One thing.....It's MAry I birds...cos they go to Mary Immaculate college....which conveniently is near dolans....most of the students live around Oconnell Avenue....and the most beautiful goirl i have EVER been with was one of em. They all love Dolans...hence the suggestion.
    Add wit and charm and being mostly sober to a group of Mary I girls and you are in for a deadly night. And always remember.....you can sleep with one (maybe 2 if you're not me) girl at a time....but if you become friends with one girl, you can then strike off all her friends, cousins, friends friends, mothers...(if your into that MILF i think its called scene). So get friendly with unattractive girls...they always have attractive friends....if you get friendly with an attractive girl there's some unexplainable social phenomenonomin that happens and basically what it boils down to is the other attractive people won't touch you but the unattractive girls in the group will.

Thats not a generalisation....what i find attractive you may not and vv...but every group of people is made up of people you find more and less attractive then each other. See...in my head my theory is sound.

I don't consider myself a good looking guy....but i know people who do. Unfortunately i don't find them attractive....but lifes a total unrelenting socially strangular bitch like that!

My point remains the same....cos i have the same problems in Sligo...i don't know many people so everything involves wlking up and talking to strangers....which in our society either instantly marks you as A; Gay if you strike up a conversation with a fella, or B; a loser cos you're on your own.

I find meeting new people in pubs really impossible....its always an environment like a class or shared interests type fair or meet where you get to meet and make friends. Everybody is with friends in pobs and playing the whole impress each other game...God forbid people should leave the group and talk to the "Loser on his own" (done in Clueless type voice with prolonged "L" sound....you know...so you hear it like i do...lol)

Also....when somebody i do speak to asks me what car i drive and what i work at i usually start making excuses to leave.....just me....but, if i want to know about someone i don't give a **** what car they drive, what shoes they wear or what anyone else thinks of them. I suppose when someone asks material questions before "what interests you" questions for some reason i get defensive and wary. Unless she's kinda dumb but cute....then i try sleep with her. Usually fail.....but i do try.
    Actually...been a hell of a long time since i've fallen around the walls of a nightclub chattin up the barrell scrapings who are as drunk......might try that intentionally for a change and see what fun i have! One guy i used work with had an unbroken "get laid every night i go in" record in the Icon....by doing the above procedure....(heh...procedure!). He was actually proud of it and boasted till i couldn't take it anymore and listed off the various states of the HAGS he was with. People laughed uncontrollably...he shut up. Apparantly i hear he's going out with an absolute model now...so in a small way i hope my put down helped him.
    Getting laid is nice...getting laid and still respecting yourself is excellent. Greek girls are insensitive. Well the one i know is ...so in my experience all the gg's i've met are insensitive. ie....to me....all gg's are insensitive.
    Although..truthfully...she did really want it "greek"......all im sayin....i didn't as it turned out...but she wanted it.

Mostly i write the thing i know should be done, and yet i fail to work up the courage to do. Hypocrytic.....me?...neva!

• Advertisement

Sorry...horror stories..totally forgot!

1. trapped in a corner by 2 very gay guys in an Ennis nclub who decided i was gay no matter what i said or did. There was a lot of "come home with us" and ermmm...rubbing-they were rubbing me........above the waist thank christ.....I still couldn't bring myself to hit them...i just can't hit camp people....it'd be like hitting a small girl or something...just....unnecessary.
    Can't remember why but eventually they got the message and f offed.
    I shook to and fro and held a teddy bear for days after........

2. Large girl i used work with called my name in a pub and when i turned around she attached her mouth to my face and started sucking my tongue into her shoe. Worst thing was she was really strong and the suction was massive....and she still had some sort of chewing gum in her mouth.
    I actually robbed a guys pint to rinse with...i really felt sick...went home then.
    Everyone i worked with had seen it from afar and though i came on to her...which is what she said.....work became hell.

3. Numerous gay people coming on to me at various places in various counties. No offense to anyone who may be Gay...but what the fcuk?

....no ..thats it......

Best stories anyone?

1. Eighties night Limerick end of march 2003....Mary I girl.....fantastic night....total click....3 weeks later.....usual "Too far away to keep seeing each other..can we still be friends" crap

2. Shannon knights, late Nov 1998...or 99...not sure. Shannon girl.....4 years later.....maybe 5.....not sure..."Im not moving to Sligo"..."Good...i need some space anyway.."......etc......

.......Pretty much it actually......all my stories are failures.... but that doesn't mean i am! Heh heh heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭zimmermania

ballooba wrote: »
    Was in Wicklow town a few weeks ago... scary place.

Decided to take a stroll up to the local night club at about 1 o'clock (half sober).

First, I got propositioned by a bloke which I think was the second time ever in my life (I know that is the same sex, not really horror story either but kinda freaked me out).

[At no stage in this exchange was I unpleasant.]
    Him: Do you play rugby?
    Me: No.
    Him: Oh.. I'm looking for a rugby player.
    Me: Oh, I think I saw one over there.
    [Me points left, exits stage right]

Second, this drunk sweaty bird tried to lob the gob on me. I'm quite tall so generally have to bend down (or something like that, do it subconciously so not quite sure how it works) to kiss girls.

It was so funny, I just stood up straight and she couldn't reach. Think she was too drunk to know what was going on. Eventually one of her mates figured out what was happening and pulled her away. I just said to the mate:
    "I'm sure she's a lovely girl but she's far too locked".

After experiencing that I will never try to pick up sober girls when I'm trolleyed.
    You should have been on your toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

How do you even find a thread this old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Don't bump zombie threads please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement