Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about SP2

• 26-08-2004 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

It is only being rolled out today? Is that correct?

I am curious why then, a number of XP machines I have want to install SP2 since last week. :/

Not installing it as it breaks a good few things I have on the machines for the moment, but just curious if this was normal.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

There was another thread about this service pack a couple of weeks ago. Are they claiming that it fixes any vulnerabilities?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not sure. Supposed to be a more secure firewall, also limits the number of connections a machine can make (citing to stop worms). I do know the firewall can be switched off by any application. So it can't be that great.

Just seemed a bit odd that my machines should get the patches early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The firewall only blocks incoming traffic and can be disabled by other applications, so its a wee bit useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

The firewall only blocks incoming traffic and can be disabled by other applications, so its a wee bit useless.
    Although I don't entirely disagree with you, it's not completely useless and is better than no firewall.

However, if Joe User is stupid enough to connect directly to the Internet with no firewall he's probably unlikely to keep up with Security Updates so won't get the benefit of SP2's firewall. This is the user that that would benefit most from the firewall and is the user that is most unlikely to ever get it. Ironic, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

• Advertisement

liamo wrote:
    Although I don't entirely disagree with you, it's not completely useless and is better than no firewall.

However, if Joe User is stupid enough to connect directly to the Internet with no firewall he's probably unlikely to keep up with Security Updates so won't get the benefit of SP2's firewall. This is the user that that would benefit most from the firewall and is the user that is most unlikely to ever get it. Ironic, no?

I'd almost agree, but you still need to switch on the firewall, and Joe User in nearly every case won't have even heard of a firewall, never mind know were to go to switch it on, or where to get a 3rd party one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I upgraded to SP2, and had no problems at all. I also use AVG for anti-virus, and ZoneAlarm for firewall. No issues there.

I did have to patch some programs (nero) but that's fine.

Overally, the upgrade went well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 1stmonkeyonline

liamo wrote:
    However, if Joe User is stupid enough to connect directly to the Internet with no firewall he's probably unlikely to keep up with Security Updates so won't get the benefit of SP2's firewall.

Yeah but SP2 has the firewall set as default and also automatic updates set as default. Hopefully those two things alone will reduce the number of viruses propagating - we just need people to update their windows or change OS.
    But nothing is ever foolproof, so I would predict a SP3 next year or so to fix the flaws in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Got upgraded by accident over the weekend (the missus clicked it). Everything ran fine, but it took 15 minutes to log in. After the third time trying it, I uninstalled it and its nice and fast again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

my motto with pc's - don't fix whats not broken!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Superman wrote:
    my motto with pc's - don't fix whats not broken!

Words fail me - there are three broken things here
    a ) Windows XP WITHOUT SP2 is fairly holy.

b ) Applications that don't work with Windows SP2's new firewall.

c ) and not unexpectedly IE 5/5.5/6 with or without SP2
    http://secunia.com/advisories/12321/
    vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Explorer,
    The vulnerability is caused due to insufficient validation of drag and drop events issued from the "Internet" zone to local resources. This can be exploited by a malicious website to e.g. plant an arbitrary executable file in a user's startup folder, which will get executed the next time Windows starts up.
    NOTE: Even though the PoC depends on the user performing a drag and drop event, it may potentially be rewritten to use a single click as user interaction instead.
    The vulnerability has been confirmed on a fully patched system with Internet Explorer 6.0 and Microsoft Windows XP SP1/SP2.

Ok, has anyone heard anything good from anyone using SP2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

The Pavolvian dogs working in the tech media will get fed for the next three months, because of the SP!

That's a good thing.

Better to feed them with an XP SP, then to let them regurgitate some tripe about .NET saving the world or how removing WinFS from Longhorn *doesn't* make Microsoft look stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Crimson

It downloaded on my machine, and i have to say its the worst thing ever , its slowed down my machine big time , and theres nothing realy great about it , its just annoying , dosent realy do much like , only realy tells u to update your anti virus and crap :/
    took at lest 20 min to get ride of too :/
    i couldnt even get the inetnet working properly:/

so all in all its the worst thing ever :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Downloaded SP2 and can't say I've noticed any differences. Mind you, my fridge has started acting up and the car alarm went off in the middle of the night.... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Stugots wrote:
    Downloaded SP2 and can't say I've noticed any differences. Mind you, my fridge has started acting up and the car alarm went off in the middle of the night.... :eek:
    My Advice: Uninstall SP2 before the microwave blows up.

Advertisement