Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More problems with XP SP2

Options
  • 26-08-2004 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having problems since installing XP SP2

I am (XP Pro).

Since I have installed it,I can't run:

Windows firewall settings for a network connection
    Windows Update
    Defrag

they all crash out with the same error
    "The instruction at 0x1000e0bc referenced memory at 0x1000e0bc. The memory could not be 'written' "

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Silverside, what's the version of the defrag.exe file on your system?

I'm not having any problems with defrag on my XP SP2 systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

dfrgmtfs.exe (which is showing the problem) is version 5.1.2600.2180 dated 4.08.2004.

Defrag works ok until i press the 'Defragment now button'.

Since the same problem occurs when I go 'Start->Windows Update' I thought it might be something more fundamental.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled SP2 (which made regedit work correctly), and also run System File Checker using my OS CD.

I may have tracked it down to mpr.dll which seems to be missing a function used by defrag. calc.exe also uses this function,and also crashes.

Any idea how I could force mpr.dll to be repaired?

Can you send me your svcpack.log file please from c:\windows.

What version is mpr.dll?

• Advertisement

but if i run Dependency Walker on calc.exe or dfrgntfs.exe it shows a problem with it.

Well, you have the correct file versions. And this works fine for me, so it muct be something with your system.

You can extract these 2 files from the SP and decompress them & drop them into the %systemroot%\system32 folder just in case the setup process corrupted them for some reason.

Where did you get your copy of XP SP2?

I tried to attach svcpack.log but it is too big for boards (119KB when zipped).

Thanks for looking into this so far.

I downloaded it from Windows Update microsoft.com last night.

Maybe there is some clash with my firewall/antivirus. I am going to try disabling all services etc and see if that fixes it. I really don't want to reformat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yeah, u should disable everything before you run the SP2 install. Only problem ive had with it (so far) is that Style XP is basically ****ed now. Wont apply skins on start up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

i downloaded sp
    rebooted
    system crashed
    system restore did as it promised
    currently cannot access windows update or regedit

Sixtysix, what was the crash error code?

thanks for the reply, i was basically just sounding off, not being the most technically minded i certainly did not notice any error message after i rebooted following the sp2 upgrade-the system went into a continuous loop between the opening compaq and windows screens-and i was forced to run system restore which thankfully restored everything-i then tried the windows update screen again-tempting fate-and it began to scan for an update-but then vanished-now it just appears but does not scan.
    when i switch the computer it on now it says database error unable to continue but it does-continue.
    thanks again

It sounds like you are having a Blue Screen.

If you boot in Safe Mode(press F8 when you see the white progress bar move across the screen after you turn the PC on), log in as your Administrator user, and then click Start->Run->eventvwr, and look in the System folder for errors.

This will tell you what's causing your system to creash & reboot.

thanks for your time i will be away till tuesday so cannot work on it till then-ready to put my boot through it at this stage.

Advertisement