Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win Xp question

Options
  • 26-08-2004 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Looking at a few us sites for win xp full version and there are a few sites that display certain copies of the os marked (oem) for a considerably cheaper price, I was just wondering what the oem means and is it different in any way to the versions that aren't marked oem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/OEM.html

Sorry I just did a quick google, these are customised versions are they different?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

no, they are pretty much the same - you don't get a box or big manual (probably a 20 page booklet), but the software side is the same as the retail.

some places only let you buy it with some hardware (like a HDD, or something - komplett told me they'd sell it with anything..."it can be really small, like a mouse")...

I got a HDD and WinXP pro from overclockers, XP was only £101 ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I think it's part of the agreement to resell OEM that the seller must only sell it with hardware.

Advertisement