Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instrumental

Options
  • 26-08-2004 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Been listening to alot of instrumental songs lately
    which mainly include

In Flames - acoustic medley
    In Flames - Man made god
    Dream Theater - Stream of conciousness
    etc

just wondering if anyone could give any other recommendations.
    i listen to wide vareity of music so fire away with any type of instrumental song

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The Clash - The Cool Out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Metallica - Orion
    Cliff's bit in the middle always sends a shiver down my spine

Cynic - Textures
    Death - Cosmic Sea
    Judas Priest - The Hellion
    Black Sabbath - Fluff
    Rush - YYZ

anything by Ohm and Mahavishnu Orchestra too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

In Flames certainly do have some amasing instrumentals, Man Made God being a favourite of mine, others worth checking out:

In Flames - Wayfarer
    In Flames - Timeless
    In Flames - Dreamspace
    Morbid Angel - Desolate Ways
    Dimmu Borgir - Glittertind (odd worrying scream from Chigarth[sp?] now and then, but more or less an instrumental, a class one too)
    Dimmu Borgir - Det Nye Ricket (bit of talking in norwiegan[sp?], but yet again, more or less, and also class)
    Gran Tourismo 2 soundrack - Blueline Instrumental
    Gran Tourismo 2 soundtrack - Moon over the Castle
    Nightwish - Crimson Tide and the Deep Blue Sea
    Shadows Fall - Lead me Home (possably the best instrumental ever)
    Shadows Fall - Prelude to Disaster
    Sinergy - Pulsations
    Arcturus - Ad Astra

Well I think thats most of them that havent been mentioned :)

A great instrumentral band band worth checking out are Apocalyptica, just 4 Chelloists doing some great metal covers, their own stuff is superb too, check out 'hope' which was done by them, great stuff, as is 'Until it Sleeps', 2 instrumental songs no music collection should be without.

edit: almost forgot these:
    Blind Guardian - Gandalfs Rebirth
    Blind Guardian - Lucifers Heritage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Pugsley wrote:
    A great instrumentral band band worth checking out are Apocalyptica, just 4 Chelloists doing some great metal covers, their own stuff is superb too, check out 'hope' which was done by them, great stuff, as is 'Until it Sleeps', 2 instrumental songs no music collection should be without.

I was in Poland last year and I flicked on MTV to see Britney Spears, I left it on as background noise and the next video that came on was Apocalyptica. Can't remember what song it was, it was an old school Metallica one anyway (I think maybe Master...).

There's a good Irish instrumental band called the Jimmy Cake, try their Dublin Gone, Everybody Dead album. Also, in a similar vein, Godspeed You! Black Emperor are damn fine epic instrumentalists. Mogwai have their moments. Autechre are really good (not rock music, weird electronica, similar but different to Aphex Twin). For something nice and relaxing try any collaboration between Stehpane Grappelli and Oscar Peterson, makes you think you're sitting in a café in Paris and life couldn't be better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Don't forget most Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen songs. Especially Blackstar by Malmsteen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Some great ones been mentioned so far, but I think I have to add Sonata Arctica - Revontulet.
    Great song that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

For more from Dream Theater check out: Overture 1928, Ytse Jam, Hell's Kitchen, Erotomania.
    Someone mention Metallica's Orion, but Call of the Ktulu is also a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Satriani or Vai-Anything of theirs really.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Opeth - Ending Credits
    Opeth - Patterns in the Ivy
    At The Gates - The Flames of the End
    Morbid Angel - Desolate Ways (Pure class!)
    Any of the In Flames instrumentals
    Iced Earth - Transylvania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

How goes it,
    ,the lads here.. willl all start whinging at me.. ( sorry lads!),,but anyway I have to list some special instrumentals here...and by the way only *in my humble opinion* great bands do instrumentals,,their musicianship has to carry it live aswell as in the studio,,,but anyway here's a few:

Rush :
    La Villa Strangiato
    YYZ
    Leave That Thing Alone
    Wheres My Thing
    Limbo
    Overture 2112
    Xanadu..*most of that track is instrumental !*
    Hemisphere's - Prelude

Jethro Tull:
    The Whistler *special edition 25 years etc*
    Elegy
    Thick As A Brick.*many instrumental passages*
    Bouree live * A Little Light Music*
    Cheerio *special edition 25 years etc *

Horslips:
    Fantasia (My Lagan Love)
    Exiles
    King Of The Fairies *live*
    Furniture *live alomost an instrumental!*

well there ya go..some crackers I think,,maybe others won't like em but their all great musical pieces,,the louder the better!,,,

ciao' amigo'........Baggio................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Doctor J wrote:
    Metallica - Orion
    Cliff's bit in the middle always sends a shiver down my spine

Amen!!

Everytime I hear cliff's bass interlude at the tempo change in Orion, I am able to remove myself from time and return to a memory I have from when I was 16, and on tour with my orchestra around Germany & Italy.

We were on a double-decker tour bus, I was sitting upstairs on the left by a window, and woke up at about 5.30am (circa sunrise), pulled back the curtain and was met with my first view of the black forest in Germany, shrouded in mis in the morning sun-rise with the tree-tops sticking above the mist.....

all to the sound of Cliff's interlude.

You're all overlooking Hendrix' "Star Spangled Banner", possibly THE defining anthem of the 60's

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Mr. Bungle - Chemical Marriage

Unless these count as lyrics:

"To chi chi koa kohg
    To chi chi koa kohg

Mehnimm mehnimm
    Manna mayou
    Mehnimm Mehnimm
    Manau
    Manna mayou
    Manaaauugh...

OoooooOOOooooOOOoooooo...

Wayaye a aye aye AY aye Ay aye aye a a
    Wayaye a aye aye AY aye Eh ay a aye

Mehnimm mehnimm
    Manna mayou
    Mehnimm Mehnimm
    Manau
    Manna mayou
    Manaaauugh...

OoooooOOOooooOOOoooooo...

Wh wht wh wh wh
    Whi wh wht wh h
    Hh ho ha ha hooh

Tpatda toomph

mm.h.m.mao.h.u.m

To chi chi koa kohg
    To chi chi koa kohg"

That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I was shown in the direction of Godspeed You Black Emperor! through the wonders of the song 'Moya' by a friend on IRC one night and have been thankful since. To this day, it remains one of my GYBE tracks.
    Also I'd recommend the Jimi Hendrix version of House of the Rising Sun, Eleven Blue Egyptians by Jason Becker for that krezy shredding, Bron Y Aur by Zeppelin, and to finish off:

Wipeout - Surfaris
    Surf Rider - The Lively Ones
    Miserlou - Dick Dale

You might hate some, but give em a try anyway :D

Advertisement