Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to USA for good- advice.

• 26-08-2004 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone have experience of the exact process in order to move to America forever. I know about the jobs etc, and having to have one lined up. But, I want to set up a business over there with my dad, so my whole family will be moving, ie, 3 sisters aged 20, 23, and 30, and 1 brother aged 17. Cos of their age, do they need separate visas, or do we go as one family unit. Anyone know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

I think you need separate visas but you can apply for them all on the one form. You'll each need your own social security number etc. so that's the only way to go about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

go to www.nvacireland.com to get a visa. if your married and you get a visa, then your all able to go!

www.state.gov is another site, your looking for info on the derivitive visa program.

you could always get your dad to apply for a visa for you though, but thats tougher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I don't think it is as easy as just signing up for a visa. If it was, I think there would be a lot more Irish in the US than there are now. They don't just hand them out to anyone who wants one. I have one, but only because I am working for a US company and they sponsored me (housing, pay, car, i.e. I would not be a burnden to the US Social Services).

Your only real option is to apply for the green card lottery - but it is just that, a lottery. Some may get it, some may not. If your parents get one, it will only cover dependents under 21 (or is it 18?). Those over 21/18 will have to apply for their own.

VinnyL: Be careful with companies like this. They are applying, for a fee, on your behalf for the green card lottery. You may as well use the fee to buy a lotto ticket. If you apply directly on the US State Department's website, it is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alfie_Moon

i am in a similar position - i have a job lined up with a large firm who will sort out my visa but i also have a fiancee.does she have to apply for a visa through the green card lottery.

will me having a full job help her cause ?- she also already has a Social Security Number - will this help her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

You are doing a good thing getting out of this country.

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Kersh wrote:
    Hi,
    Does anyone have experience of the exact process in order to move to America forever. I know about the jobs etc, and having to have one lined up. But, I want to set up a business over there with my dad, so my whole family will be moving, ie, 3 sisters aged 20, 23, and 30, and 1 brother aged 17. Cos of their age, do they need separate visas, or do we go as one family unit. Anyone know.

All the info you need is here.

Assuming that your father isn't already a US citizen (if that's the case, you're entitled to citizenship and a visa) then you've got to either have an employer sponsor you (the catch is, they have to pay for the visa and show that you're providing a skill that can't be provided in the US freely). You could try to Green Card lottery as already mentioned. As the name implies, it's a lottery and you're unlikely to get citizenship.

Your best bet is to have your father (if he is in a company or has contacts with one) to have them sponsor you and your siblings for a visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Fibonacci

When setting up a business in the US, you can obtain a Visa for a minimum investment of €1,000,000 (€500,000 in certain areas that have been designated employment blackspots).

You should contact an Immigration Attorney in the states, to get specific instructions re: your siblings. But my initial take is they will not be eligible because of their age (non-dependants).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Alfie_Moon wrote:
    i am in a similar position - i have a job lined up with a large firm who will sort out my visa but i also have a fiancee.does she have to apply for a visa through the green card lottery.

will me having a full job help her cause ?- she also already has a Social Security Number - will this help her?
    It really depends on your company. My wife had no trouble getting a visa, only because my company was sponsoring me - she got an L2 which is designated a spouse of a visa holder, or something like that. I am not too sure on what the deal is if you are not married. Ask your company, they should have a legal affairs/visa type person. Failing that, ring the embassy in Dublin, they really are a decent bunch of people.

BTW - you can't just "apply" for the Green Card lottery. It is just that - a lottery, as I said in my previous post, you would probably have more luck buying a Lotto ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

surely there is enough good - advice around here without moving the whole way to the USA for it?

never mind me, carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be aware that the males in the family aged 18-25 are required to register (not necessarily serve) for military service.

http://www.sss.gov/

• Advertisement
Advertisement