Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers out of Champions League

• 26-08-2004 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

They could draw Shelbourne in the Eufa cup.

Would we welcome that?

Pros:
    1) Beatable
    2) Incredible atmosphere guaranteed

Cons
    1) Rangers fans (aka UVF, UFF, UDA, Johnny Adair's C-Company and all other manner of knuckle draggers) have an excuse to visit town.

On second thoughts, let's hope for someone like Lazio.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I wonder would Rangers have signed the likes of Boumsong and Prso if they knew they weren't going to be playing champions league football. Also, would the players have signed for Rangers in the same case. :p

The last time Shels played Rangers, Shels had to play their home leg in England in case of trouble so lets hope they don't draw them this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:
    The last time Shels played Rangers, Shels had to play their home leg in England in case of trouble so lets hope they don't draw them this time.

Which must have been very annoying for Shels as they're fans were not the ones who would cause trouble .

Its like a reward to Rangers for having fans who are linked with paramilitary groups .

Although there could be trouble at Ibrox as Rangers fans wouldnt be happy with being beaten 5-0 by Shelbourne :p .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

another season and no champions league for rangers.they were really building for it as well this season with prso,boumsong,novo etc.
    they say mcleish is under pressure now and with celtic at the weekend you never know, his days could be numbered.
    boumsong came out and said he would leave if mcleish was sacked and that he was the only reason he came to rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

1) Rangers fans (aka UVF, UFF, UDA, Johnny Adair's C-Company and all other manner of knuckle draggers) have an excuse to visit town.

nice sectarian attitude that, i happen to know a rangers fan and hes none of the above, i presume by your thinking hes the only one in existance?

nice sectarian attitude that, i happen to know a rangers fan and hes none of the above, i presume by your thinking hes the only one in existance?

we all know not all , and probably the majority are not linked to these groups , the same way only a small amount of Celtic fans are linked to groups like the IRA .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

who really cares about Rangers.... i couldnt give a rats ass whether Shels meet them and beat them or not. I think the likelyhood of them getting into the group stages is more intresting:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

rangers are a shambles and will struggle to hold onto 2nd place in the league.

selling ferguson and amorosu cost them dear, 2 spine players that held the side together. no big pay day either which will continue to cripple them financially :D

the spl is in danger of becoming a 1 horse league, in fact it is at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

lets be realistic, who would come close to beating rangers for second?
    i can't see it

anyway since shels have depors seeding would that not prevent both teams from meeting? assuming rangers have a decent seeding, which they should compared to some of the other teams that will be in the first round

eyerer wrote:
    lets be realistic, who would come close to beating rangers for second?
    i can't see it

anyway since shels have depors seeding would that not prevent both teams from meeting? assuming rangers have a decent seeding, which they should compared to some of the other teams that will be in the first round

Hearts who are currently behind Rangers on goal difference and Shels do not have Depor's seeding .

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Are you going to deny that Rangers fans have links to loyalist paramilitaries? Not all of them of course, but alot of them do. You're a fool if you think that they have absolutely no links.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Yes Rangers supporters groups are linked with loyalist paramilitary groups, but only a minority of their fans are bigoted. I know a few Rangers fans in Scotland, and up north,Decent people who aren`t secterian, they are in it just for the football.Chelsea and Milwall supporters groups also have links to National front and loyalist movements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

On second thoughts, let's hope for someone like Lazio.

Lazio supporters groups are are just as facist and notorius.

Big Ears wrote:
    Hearts who are currently behind Rangers on goal difference and Shels do not have Depor's seeding .

like i said, i can't see it happening
    and being behind on goal difference doesn't mean **** after what 2 games?
    still if anyone wants to believe it because they hate rangers, you're welcome to it
    when was the last time any team other than celtic and rangers occuppied the top 2? anyone since aberdeen in the 80s?

in some other thread someone said depor's seeding went to shels in the uefa cup...

3 games and for the majority of last season Hearts were closer to Rangers than Rangers were to Celtic , with a few games left there was only 12 points between the sides , admittedly Rangers had a game in hand .

That information was incorrect as was proven later on in one of those threads that mentioned Shels getting Depor's seeding .

All im saying is if Rangers have to change manager , they could have a very bad season with infighting (from the likes of Boumsong) and Hearts could have a real go to take second , unlikely....yes , impossable....no .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Big Ears wrote:
    3 games and for the majority of last season Hearts were closer to Rangers than Rangers were to Celtic , with a few games left there was only 12 points between the sides , admittedly Rangers had a game in hand .

With a few games left Hearts were ONLY 12 points behind, and ended up 13 points behind, ah they were challenging hard so. Couple that with the fact that Rangers took their foot off the gas when Celtic won the league as they had nothing to play for. They only won 4 of their last 10 games or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

eyerer wrote:
    when was the last time any team other than celtic and rangers occuppied the top 2? anyone since aberdeen in the 80s?

stats, eh? allow me:

Scottish League History

Aberdeen won the league in 84 and 85,
    since then it's gone to Glasgow...gers 13, celtic 6 and counting ;)

As you'll see in the link Celtic actually finished outside the top 2 from 89-95
    while rangers kept winning, on their way to 9 in a row.
    So last team to split the old firm?
    Motherwell 1995.

7 years before Celtic won the European Cup they came 9th , and 8th just 2 years before they won the European Cup :eek: .

Look at seasons 88/89 to 94/95 :eek:

12 points is 4 games , and in a 36 game league that isnt a huge margin .
    Especially late on when each of the top 6 face each other twice .

Scotland is very predictable now , but I never knew it could be so open as the side that finnished 8th one year won it 8 times in a row the following years .

i always thought celtic won it 9 times in a row, so rangers hold the record?
    what about all that 9 in a row one to go? i thought 10 would've beaten celtic's record

its funny about mcleish, i thought when he took over o'neill's days of dominance were numbered, looks a bit bleak now for him

appently Rangers had planned finniacially to make the group stages , and know could have big problems .

If I were a Premiership club id make a bid for Lovenkrands right now .
    and if I were a Newcastle fan(which I am) I would want us to make a bid for Boumsong right now .

id say : Lovenkrands , Boumsong , Prso, Novo and possably Klos are on over £30,000 a week .

Some as high as £50 or £60 grand a week I would think .
    I Rangers sell any of the players listed above I think they could be in serious trouble in terms of winning the SPL , as in things could be mostly done by Christmas .

do I not like scottish football. A two horse race dogged by racism, hatred and poor football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

eyerer wrote:
    i always thought celtic won it 9 times in a row, so rangers hold the record?
    what about all that 9 in a row one to go? i thought 10 would've beaten celtic's record

Both Rangers and Celtic have won 9 in a row, where did you see a post stating otherwise ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

poor football.
    If you have Setanta watch the next non-Old Firm match and you'll see its far from poor football. I would always watch an English division 1 match if I'm in at the time and Scottish football is certainly a higher standard. Also you'd do well to see any form of racism on TV these days. Hatred? There's plenty of derby's in England.

do I not like scottish football. A two horse race dogged by racism, hatred and poor football.

That statement means you are calling Irish football terrable , unless you actually think LOI standard is better than SPL .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the SPL is crap, but not as crap as either of the two irish leagues...

por wrote:
    Both Rangers and Celtic have won 9 in a row, where did you see a post stating otherwise ?

it was on that stat site, but i re checked and theres at least 2 years where theres no league info, one of which they must have finished in first place

well I can remember all those celtic supporters arriving at Ireland matches, all they could do was boo a player who played for rangers. Its the Catholic Protestant thing that I dont like... Do we really need that over here?

dont watch a lot of the Scottish league to be honest but saw a celtic rangers match last year, technically it was terrible and boring as well.

I have more time for the E.L than watching scottish football.

the SPL is crap, but not as crap as either of the two irish leagues...

ya well so is the premiership and Primera Liga ..........and Italy and germany and France , maybe I should just go on calling all the leagues in thw World Crap .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Eamo quit with the trolling or I will ban you again ok mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

SPL is better than the EL but that said any of the top four in the EL would beat any of teams 5-12 in the SPL.

• Advertisement

I don't think Drogheda would beat Hibs , but other than that you're fairly right .

Advertisement