Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Talk - too good to be true?

Options
  • 26-08-2004 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Dunno if you've seen this yet: http://u.tv/talk/talk.asp?loc=ie

Basically.... (quoting from the site):
    Simply call any local or national number throughout Ireland or UK during the evening or at the weekend and providing your call lasts no longer than one hour you will be charged absolutely nothing - FREE!.
    and they even list the workaround to being charged after the hour:
    Want to make a longer call? Simply hang up before the hour's up and call back!!!
    What I've also discovered:

- No setup fee
    - Existing UTV (ClickSilver) customers will be sent an email in the next few days offering a migration path.
    - 12 month contract - but this is seperate to your Clicksilver contract (ie: it won't be extended by availing of this offer).
    - No eircom line rental - you now pay UTV (is this full LLU??)

Mods, feel free to move if in the wrong place, but I thought I'd let people know and get some feedback - IS this too good to be true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

for the FAQ...
    Is there a minimum call charge?
    Yes, the minimum call change is 5.7c (inc VAT), a saving of 10% off the standard Eircom charge of 6.26c.

Still sounds good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

for the FAQ...
    Is there a minimum call charge?
    Yes, the minimum call change is 5.7c (inc VAT), a saving of 10% off the standard Eircom charge of 6.26c.

Still sounds good though.

yea thats what I was thinking... probably should have been clearer, I meant setup fee as in migration fee :)

Will know more when the email arrives tho I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Basically what it is then is for €24.18 per month you get your line rental and unlimited off peak calls as long as you redial after each hour of talking.

There is no minimum call setup charge for this. That only applies to peak rates according to the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Does this include internet numbers? i.e. not the 1890 ones but the local pop number?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Their other rates are fairly uncompetitive so that's where they're hoping to make money presumably. But if 1890 numbers are free as well you can combine this with Telestunt and get free calls to lots of destinations and if 0818 numbers are free you get free calls to Irish mobiles as well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Not very likely, looks like they charge the same as Eircom for "nongeographic" calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Blaster99 wrote:
    Their other rates are fairly uncompetitive so that's where they're hoping to make money presumably. But if 1890 numbers are free as well you can combine this with Telestunt and get free calls to lots of destinations and if 0818 numbers are free you get free calls to Irish mobiles as well...

http://u.tv/talk/pricing.asp?loc=ie

All calls to Non Geographic,Internet, Premium Rate, International Mobiles: Same as eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Does anyone know if the issue about Eircom removing the phone book entry of people who use LLU, been resolved ?

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Excuse me, but could anyone explain to the idiots i.e. me what LLU is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

This isn't LLU (Local Loop Unbundling), it's WLR (Wholesale Line Rental). The other telcos rent each phone line off eircom for a monthly fee. All traffic is still carried completely over eircom's network. WLR is, more or less, a marketing gimmick so that any telco can charge you line rental aswell as any calls you make instead of eircom. Eircom no longer send you any bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Oh, and moving this over to the nets/comms forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Excuse me, but could anyone explain to the idiots i.e. me what LLU is?

Don't listen to the voices in your head, you are not an idiot. :D

LLU is short for Local Loop Unbundling. The local loop, sometimes called the last mile, is the length of wire between your house and the telephone exchange. Unbundling in this case means that companies other than Eircon can in theory own the last mile and charge you line rental on it. In reality, Eircon own the wire and other companies just pass the cost along to you.

It is intended to stimulate competition in the telecoms marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Oh rite! I didnt make the connection between Local Loop unbundling and LLU :rolleyes:
    I'm familiar with Local Loop unbundling but I can't imagine it working as engineers from different companies will be maintaining the same equipment, e.g poles, large cables which would carry the lines of many companies.
    The "Irish" solution is of course to allow €ircom "manage" the lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As a disabled/housebound person my line rental is paid for by the state to EirCon.

UTV are now working on enabling the disabled EirCoN "Free line rental" individuals/customers in the Republic, to be able to sign up for this brilliant new telecoms innovation :D

So, it looks as though at last. I will be able to finally kick EirCoN's arse right out of my home ?.. HeeeHee, If I was allowed to drink I would get pissed out of my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Paddy20 wrote:
    UTV are now working on enabling the disabled EirCoN "Free line rental" individuals/customers in the Republic, to be able to sign up for this brilliant new telecoms innovation :D
    That's pretty important Paddy as you correctly identify (and not just for the people who are entitled to it - it's a large part of the market and if they're locked into Eircom, Eircom are assured of a few hundred thousand customers who wouldn't be able to move)

Let alone the fact that this contract hasn't been subject to a bid process but that's a big off-topic issue.

sceptre wrote:
    That's pretty important Paddy as you correctly identify (and not just for the people who are entitled to it - it's a large part of the market and if they're locked into Eircom, Eircom are assured of a few hundred thousand customers who wouldn't be able to move)

Let alone the fact that this contract hasn't been subject to a bid process but that's a big off-topic issue.

Yes, I spoke this evening to U.TV TALK, and they asked me to send an e-mail raising my plight with: support@utv.com

I was assured that within a few days this "Oversight" which is not answered in their FAQ's section would be resolved in favour of people in my position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

The one thing that makes me sightly wary of this is the issue of line faults. I wonder if there would be any problems getting an engineer out to us if we no longer had our line rental with Eircom.

Also it would seem from paragraph 4.10 of the terms and conditions that you can't use prefixes to route your calls through other providers once you sign up to this package. :(

Let me confirm if I have this correctly - you switch over to UTV, pay line rental and nothing else and you get free off peak calls up to one hour in duration?

In comparisong to the Esat deal where they are charging 25 Eurons for the pleasure, plus line rental on top of that?

Must get the finger out and switch to UTV.

+ All local & national Ireland & UK Weekend* calls are free, not just the off peak :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,336 ✭✭✭✭Esel

tom dunne wrote:
    Let me confirm if I have this correctly - you switch over to UTV, pay line rental and nothing else and you get free off peak calls up to one hour in duration?

In comparisong to the Esat deal where they are charging 25 Eurons for the pleasure, plus line rental on top of that?

Must get the finger out and switch to UTV.

I thought the Esat deal @ €25 was for all local and national calls (not 'mainland' UK?) not just off-peak/weekend?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

It isn't too clear on their website. Then again, they don't mention off-peak, so it must include peak.

Still, with both myself and my wife at work during the day, the UTV deal seems more enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hi all,

Just to clear a point up...

Accordin to their site the FREE calls are weekends and off-peak.. peak rate calls are charged for, but at a cheaper price than eircom - see the link in my first post or their tariff sheet here

Hope this helps.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

couple of Questions :

1) Is the line rental the same as Eircon ? - Why can't they reduce this ? - Isn't the wholesale price due today ?

2) What about the Eircon Voice Mail services - are these lost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

couple of Questions :

1) Is the line rental the same as Eircon ? - Why can't they reduce this ? - Isn't the wholesale price due today ?
    You just answered your own question. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

hi
    what are utvs time definitions for evening and weekend? are they the same as eircon?
    thanks
    mobpd

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

seamus wrote:
    You just answered your own question. :)

more info here ...

When will my line rental move to UTV Talk?
    The line rental portion of the UTV Talk service is still in testing. We will only move your line over to UTV Talk once we are assured that the quality of service, fault repair and the billing is of the highest quality. We will contact you before the change-over.

Still in testing then ?????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Also keep in mind that there's a 12 month contract and that if you're line ends up with UTV you won't be allowed to route calls over other people's networks (e.g. Telestunt). I'm going to sit tight and see if Eircom, Esat or someone else responds with something else before signing up to a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Actually now that I look closer, they just define the term "minimum term" but they don't use it anywhere in the terms and conditions. Must look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

If you are an existing dialup customer UTVipXL etc do get this aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If you are an existing dialup customer UTVipXL etc do get this aswell?

From the FAQ it appears that anyone can sign up - you don't have to be an existing customer of any sort
    Can anyone sign up for UTV Talk?
    Anyone with an active Eircom line can sign up for the service.

Advertisement