Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Talk - too good to be true?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

From http://u.tv/talk/tc.asp?loc=ie ...
    ""Minimum Term" means a minimum of twelve months from the start date"

Then further on down...
    "6.5 Save as provided for elsewhere in this Agreement, this Agreement is terminable by either party upon giving to the other at least fourteen days written notice."

So what is it, a 1 year contract or 14 days notice to cancel??? :rolleyes:
    "Save as provided for elsewhere in this Agreement" is the 12 month minimum. After that you can cancel after 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

I don't fancy getting tied down for 12 months. What if someone else comes out with a better deal two months down the line.

I don't think there will be too many offers as good as this coming online in the next 12 months. Unless you makes lots of peak national calls ... go for the UTV Talk offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Ripwave wrote:
    "Save as provided for elsewhere in this Agreement" is the 12 month minimum. After that you can cancel after 14 days.

Yeah, but they just define Minimum Term at the top in the definitations section. They don't mention anywhere else that you have to stay with them for the minimum term (as they do when signing up for broadband). That is what is confusing me. Is it an oversight on their part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

If a UTV TALK customer fails to pay the line rental. Do you not think that UTV will terminate the contract by giving 14 days notice of withdrawal/termination due to 'breach of contract'.

I am pretty sure that the customer can also get out of the contract, but why someone would want to get out of receiving a "Free offpeak telephone call service" is beyond my comprehension.

Personally, I am now totally free from those mad EirCon Basta*** for the first time in my life. I will no longer even have to pay them their bloody line rental charge.

I hope the whole damn Country switch's over to UTV TALK, ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Paddy20 wrote:
    If a UTV TALK customer fails to pay the line rental. Do you not think that UTV will terminate the contract by giving 14 days notice of withdrawal/termination due to 'breach of contract'.

It would be terminated, your credit rating would be damaged and they may run after you for the cash :)
    Paddy20 wrote:
    I hope the whole damn Country switch's over to UTV TALK, ASAP

Here here ... Anyone still with EirCON for calls needs their head scaned :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Does anyone know what will happen if you are with another DSL service (Netsource) and want to stay with them? Will it still work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Yeah, but they just define Minimum Term at the top in the definitations section. They don't mention anywhere else that you have to stay with them for the minimum term (as they do when signing up for broadband). That is what is confusing me. Is it an oversight on their part?

Yup. I chased this very fact up with them and they said that there is a 12 month minimum contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

bk wrote:
    Does anyone know what will happen if you are with another DSL service (Netsource) and want to stay with them? Will it still work?
    I would be careful of a pstn cease happening when you move to UTV talk. You could be without your dsl for up to 3 to 4 weeks if a pstn cease happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all,

Signed up for this on Monday (30th) online but I havent received the authorization form they were to send me yet..anyone else gotten one? Dont wanna be charged cause they say I never sent it back! :)

I signed up online on the same day as you. I have not received the authorisation form either.

However, when I spoke to 'Judy' at UTV TALK Customer support, after I received the e-mail from UTV TALK confirming my order. I was told that I should not worry about the form being received in time to be returned to them before the 1st of September. When according to the e-mail my Free call's would be activated.

As that date has passed and I have not heard anything. I am at a bit of a loss, as to whether I am now receiving the benefit's of UTV TALK.

I understand that for most applicant's, processing and activation takes 10 - 15 working day's, but for some U.TV customer's who were already using their U.TV telephony service, activation would be faster even without the hardcopy authorisation having been signed and processed, as they had already given their authorisation online ?..

So, as a long term customer of U.TV Clicksilver Broadband and telephone call's service, I am not particularly worried if I have to wait a bit longer, for the Free* calls service. :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Hey all,

Signed up for this on Monday (30th) online but I havent received the authorization form they were to send me yet..anyone else gotten one? Dont wanna be charged cause they say I never sent it back! :)

Signed up on Tuesday - got the form on Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm currently on UTVlite. Does anyone have a link to telephony charges on UTVLite to see how I would fair out on mobile charges if I moved over?

Paddy20 wrote:
    ... but why someone would want to get out of receiving a "Free offpeak telephone call service" is beyond my comprehension.

cos it is possible someone could come out with a better offer next month.

If all companies were to impose 12 month contracts then call prices would be higher as it is more difficult for people to switch from company to company.

parsi wrote:
    Signed up on Tuesday - got the form on Friday...

..and another one on Tuesday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

DaveG

www.utvip.com it`s all there.

Aersat.

parsi wrote:
    ..and another one on Tuesday..

and yet another today (Thursday)...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

TalkTalk in the UK is totally different, it is a carphone warehouse product and has nothing to do with BT. All you need is an eircom line and then you pay your line rental to UTV instead of eircom.

The off peak times remain the same 6pm to 8am, weekends and bank holidays

If you have a fault on your line you ring UTV and if the fault is not with them, THEY will contact eircom so you dont have to be ringing between the two to find out who is responsible. (according to UTV)

If you have broadband with another company that will remain the same but you might loose service for a day or two when the line is being changed over (according to eircom)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Does anyone know for sure, please, if calls via Telestunt are permitted under the new UTV scheme?

It says clearly in the T&Cs that it's not possible to change carrier using a code, however Telestunt calls are via a 1890 locall number so I'd expect they should be ok.

Lissavane wrote:
    Does anyone know for sure, please, if calls via Telestunt are permitted under the new UTV scheme?

It says clearly in the T&Cs that it's not possible to change carrier using a code, however Telestunt calls are via a 1890 locall number so I'd expect they should be ok.

It should be fine, with telestunt you are calling a LoCall number, you are not changing carrier using a code.

Only 13*** calls are barred - that also includes eircoms carier code... 1890, 1891, 1850, 15** are all charged at their normal rates...be it 1890 for AIB Phonelink or 1890 for Telestunt makes no diff....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

A 3rd form arrived today. So long as I don't get billed 3 times :rolleyes:

Valentia,

I also received a third authorisation form yesterday Friday. I called UTV TALK customer support and they confirmed that they had already received my completed authorisation form.

It seems the forms are sent out from a department that is not made aware that you have already returned one. I spoke to them as well, and the lady there confirmed that she had no means of knowing that I had already returned my completed authorisation form,[ A bit strange that for a business involved in telecommunications ] :confused:

Anyway, on a lighter note. I am pleased to see that U.TV at least have the foresight to stick a stamp on the return envelope, that's something I never received from EirCoN, the damned idiot's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Valentia wrote:
    A 3rd form arrived today. So long as I don't get billed 3 times :rolleyes:

Ditto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sonarflick

Not sure if this is relevant. But, if you are using UTV free free free or Euphony... the number you can call to get FREE internet dial up can be found at http://www.elivefree.net/ Yes, it's a 01 number to dial to be connected. So yes, you do get free internet access considering the fact that making 01 calls is free. Just remember to hang up after 59 minutes and redial again.

From the above e-live website. "Calls will be charged at local call rates" There is no "subscription" charge for dial up Internet."

So, whats new about this, or what has it got to do with UTV TALK ?... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Paddy20 wrote:
    Yes, I spoke this evening to U.TV TALK, and they asked me to send an e-mail raising my plight with: support@utv.com

I was assured that within a few days this "Oversight" which is not answered in their FAQ's section would be resolved in favour of people in my position.

Sadly, I think "people in [your] position" are considered unattractive customers by the telco industry and for the last few years eircom have been lobbying to remove their universal obligations so they can refuse "people in [your] position" business. Count yourself lucky that you still have a service - it might not always be like this in neo-liberal market driven Ireland.

As for the service Euphony have been offering the same thing for the last 2 months - again their other rates (apart from mobiles) aren't so attractive. The only difference in the Euphony package is that they haven't yet started single billing. I think the eircom call bundling packages is going to force many of the other CPS providers to start offering more attractive national/local deals such as this. No doubt BT will follow suit before the end of the year.

What will be interesting is eircom's reaction to this. No doubt they will cut prices somewhere - at whose expense will it be this time?

Paddy20 wrote:
    From the above e-live website. "Calls will be charged at local call rates" There is no "subscription" charge for dial up Internet."

So, whats new about this, or what has it got to do with UTV TALK ?... :confused:

They give you a 01 number to dial up with and if you are subscribed to U.TV talk, it's free to call 01 numbers. Most other ISP's give you a 1891 or 1892 number to call for dial-up which is not included in the free calls with the U.TV talk package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

govinda wrote:
    http://u.tv/talk/pricing.asp?loc=ie

All calls to Non Geographic,Internet, Premium Rate, International Mobiles: Same as eircom

All CPS providers charge the same for these calls, not just eircom.

This is a bit similar to what Euphony are offering for 10 per month but Euphony there is no minimum contract, it includes daytime calls to national landlines and local landlines and their other rates are bit cheaper than UTV. The daytime is particularly nice if you've anybody in the house doing shift work or at home during the day, otherwise the UTV deal is cheapest.

No doubt other providers are likely to follow suit over the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

They give you a 01 number to dial up with and if you are subscribed to U.TV talk, it's free to call 01 numbers. Most other ISP's give you a 1891 or 1892 number to call for dial-up which is not included in the free calls with the U.TV talk package.
    As UTV Talk includes free landline calls to the UK too, are there any "local" dialup numbers from the UK available (or have they all switched over to non-geographic numbers too?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Hi all,

Could someone please give a brief summary of this service. Also do I have to change my ISP from eircom? Also where do we go if we want to make the change from eircom phone to UTV?

Thanks all

Advertisement