Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UTV Talk - too good to be true?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

finnpark wrote:
    Hi all,

Could someone please give a brief summary of this service.
    Pay your Line Rental (€24.18 per month) through UTV instead of direct to eircom and get free off-peak landline calls to Ireland and the UK. All other call charges are cheaper than eircom standard rates, though not necessarily the cheapest available.
    Also do I have to change my ISP from eircom?
    Not if you don't want to. Though why you'd want to use eircom for your ISP is beyond me (unless you're using pay-as-you-go, in which case it's much of a muchness).*
    Also where do we go if we want to make the change from eircom phone to UTV?
    http://www.u.tv/talk/index.asp?loc=ie

[edit]I think eircoms flat rate package is the only one that permits dual channel ISDN usage, so if you need dual channel support, that might be one reason for using eircom as your ISP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

They give you a 01 number to dial up with and if you are subscribed to U.TV talk, it's free to call 01 numbers. Most other ISP's give you a 1891 or 1892 number to call for dial-up which is not included in the free calls with the U.TV talk package.

Not ALL 01 numbers are geographic ie some 01 numbers are classes as non-geographic. I didnt know this until a few weeks ago when we needed to get new numbers for the offices as they were moving so we were given non-geographic 01 numbers that can be taken with us anywhere in Ireland. I never knew they existed so if UTV is clever enough they may have this "loop hole" covered. If not great, i hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Where do you get the form to change social welfare from eircom to utv. Do you have to ring utv and ask for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I never received a special form for this.

It seem's the standard authorisation form which UTV TALK send out for your signature/authorisation of line rental charges to be transferred to UTV Talk is all that is needed. The main info they need is simply your EirCon account number.

Although a phone call or e-mail to them would not do any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

[
    They give you a 01 number to dial up with and if you are subscribed to U.TV talk, it's free to call 01 numbers. Most other ISP's give you a 1891 or 1892 number to call for dial-up which is not included in the free calls with the U.TV talk package.
    The euphony deal for 10 euro is only for talk phone calls,it says all internet calls are charged at normal price.
    I'd imagine UTV Talk would be the same hence the term 'Talk'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Received a bill from Eircom todya for the next two months - apparently UTV are having trouble getting the lines from Eircom. However they are offering the free calls and are working on getting the lines from Eircom but for the moment Eircom get another two months rental.

Anyone else get the same story?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

dec2000 wrote:
    Received a bill from Eircom todya for the next two months - apparently UTV are having trouble getting the lines from Eircom. However they are offering the free calls and are working on getting the lines from Eircom but for the moment Eircom get another two months rental.

I was told the same, continue to pay Eircom util UTV say otherwise but I will get the free calls from 1st October

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

dec2000 wrote:

Where did you hear all that! I have recieved no letter from anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

never recevied anything in writiing but if you ring them thats the story there giving

Will the two months be refunded?

• Advertisement

Why should line rental be refunded. As long as you have only paid once ?...

Paddy20 wrote:
    Why should line rental be refunded. As long as you have only paid once ?...

If you pay the UTV Talk (which includes line rental) and the Eircom rental. You will have have paid for it twice no?

Afaik, that has not happened to anyone yet.

Paddy20 wrote:
    Afaik, that has not happened to anyone yet.

What are Eircom billing us for then if not the rental?

Calls?

What are Eircom billing us for then if not the rental?

Calls?

I think you are running ahead of yourself, and everyone else. Let's wait until someone post's that they have been charged twice for their line rental, Eh :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

does anyone know if it's possible to re-activate an eircom line and go straight to utv?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry if this has been asked, if the line goes 'tits up' who diagnoses/repairs it?

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

carrotcake wrote:
    does anyone know if it's possible to re-activate an eircom line and go straight to utv?
    thanks

Based only on a personal transfer of bb experience I doubt is - Eircom seem to insist on people opening an account (with themselves) before they will do anything in relation to moves. In certain cases UTV have been extraordinarily slow to get people transferred over to themselves in respect of line rental - they acknowledged this as a problem some time ago - a friend of mine is waiting on the transfer now for months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dub45 wrote:
    Based only on a personal transfer of bb experience I doubt is - Eircom seem to insist on people opening an account (with themselves) before they will do anything in relation to moves. In certain cases UTV have been extraordinarily slow to get people transferred over to themselves in respect of line rental - they acknowledged this as a problem some time ago - a friend of mine is waiting on the transfer now for months!
    I was waiting for 10 months for the transfer of my line to UTV. I simply got fed up and threatened UTV with comreg and in about a week I had a final account from Eircom.
    mike65 wrote:
    Sorry if this has been asked, if the line goes 'tits up' who diagnoses/repairs it?
    AFAIK once your line rental is gone to UTV eircom won't talk to you anymore and you must report the fault to UTV and they tell eircom to get out and fix it. Touch wood I have never had to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

If everyone still paying their line rental to Eircom or UTVip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

If everyone still paying their line rental to Eircom or UTVip?

I'm still paying line rental to Eircon - have been with UTV for 18 months now and still no sign of them transferring over the line rental ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

mobpd wrote:
    I'm still paying line rental to Eircon - have been with UTV for 18 months now and still no sign of them transferring over the line rental ......

Same here. But I'll be dropping both to go VOIP in the new year. Have NTL for broadband.

Advertisement