Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 Euro and 27 what?

• 25-06-2001 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

Ok, here's my beef.
    I'm sure you've all seen the ad's for the Euro conversion on tv. Why do they keep saying 1 Euro and 27 Cent. Correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't it be Cents? I know i'm being pedantic, but they make such a point of emphasizing the cent part. The only one who actually says cents is that guy from westlife. I don't know why i let it annoy me, but it does. Does it annoy anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

not really.

-Ciaran
    smak2thefuture.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Err no...

-Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No, you muppet, Its supposed to be cent. smile.gif

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I agree with killian, 27 cents would sound a lot better smile.gif

*cough*
    daves l33t site 0wns j00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

cents is so american:P
    although cent isn't all that original

http://clans.quake.ie/osiris
    Fragnet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well I think we should try and humanise it a little more, to aid fast adoption by the masses.
    A child is often called Little'n, so why don't we call it the Eur'n?... smile.gif

Har har etc. I know, no need to point at the bad joke as it runs away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

..and the term "Spending a penny" will be replaced by "Euronation".

Sorry.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, 78 per cents of all polls are made up

One Of your Imps Does A Good Impersonation Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

And 93 percents of statistics are inaccurate...

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Killian m8y- it's abbreviated to cent. for centime(s) a french term- seeing how French is the most common national language in Europe, that's fair enough I suppose. Being the back-patting org. it is though- France made the concession for Deutschebank to have a huge say in the interest rates, money supply and base MRC of the euro(oh God, I'm engaged to an accountant, and it shows biggrin.gif)

Oh and Killian- get your butt in #var occasionally- all the lads miss you! frown.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    =Carpe Diem=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i thought it was an abbreviation of something latin.
    as in hello centurian etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

French and English are derived from latin so in a sense it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by K!LL!@N:
    Ok, here's my beef.
    I'm sure you've all seen the ad's for the Euro conversion on tv. Why do they keep saying 1 Euro and 27 Cent. Correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't it be Cents?
    </font>

Well what about if you go to Germany and a price is 50 Centen or Italy where it is 50 Centi or whatever. The idea, if I am right is that there is a minimum of 'tailoring' the currency, although I suspect the 1-cent coin will in common English language usage become known as a penny. Ultimately it is about being ONE currency.

Well a least we won't have Farthings (0.25d = 0.104167p), ha'pennies (0.5d = 0.208333p), pennies (1d = 0.416667p), thrupences (3d = 1.25p), sixpences (6d = 2.5p), shillings (12d = 5p), florins (24d = 10p), half-crowns (oddly enough there was no crown - literally or monetarily), 10-shilling notes (120d = 50p), pounds (240d = 100p) and guineas (one pound and a shilling - 252d = 105p)

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

20 per cents of you are idiots! tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Why bother caring what its called. I don't care what it's called as long as I can buy drink with it. wink.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    I suspect the 1-cent coin will in common English language usage become known as a penny.
    </font>

In the states (afaik) the 1 cent coin is known as a penny. If that right Hobbes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus:
    French is the most common national language in Europe.
    </font>

No you're wrong. German is, and English is the language in which the greatest number of EU citizens are competent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Trev

I agree with the clever people.

Advertisement