Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have ISDN cant get DSL ??? Pls help get the ISDN working

• 26-08-2004 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi Guys I wonder if you could pls help. My parents live in Gorey, Wexford and for the past year have used Eircoms ISDN service. DSL is available in they town but according to the Eircom web site both they phone lines “fail” the test. They have called Eircom but get the standard answer that “DSL will be available in six months”. I’m thinking that the reason that they fail the test is that the website is testing a digital line and if they can get ISDN distance from the CO should not be a problem and they should be able to get DSL. The trouble is that I live in the US and it’s hard to get anything done from here. If anyone could please give me any suggestions I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hi there,
    Your parents' phone line will have to be downgraded to a plain line before DSL can work. I think there's a charge for this but I'm not certain if it is still applied. Oh, by the way, AFAIK I can get ISDN but I'm too far away to get ADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

The eircom line test can test ISDN lines, it is only at install that a downgrade is required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jisystems

Thanks for the replies, if you don’t mind maybe you guys can help me get the ISDN working correctly I would be happy with the IDSN if it worked but there definitely is a problem but Eicrom won’t acknowledge it. When then connect to Eircom XP says connected at 64k but with every speed test we try we get results as if we had 14,400 modem. Its driving me crazy Eircom has “tested” the line from there end (without sending a tech out to the house) and they say the line is fine. I was under the impression that if you could connect with ISDN you should be getting a constant speed…(and not that of a 14.4 modem :-) ) . They have a brand new PC (3 days old) and are still getting the same speeds; I really think it’s a line problem I would be SO gratefull of any help or trouble shooting ideas

Thanks

Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Im in the same position as your parents (Isdn and want BB). I've rang up eircom and esat countless times for line tests, all the times they said that they'd get back to me but they never do. I rang eircom today and yet again I was told my line failed. I asked her to do a line test again but she said she had just done one. I asked her if she meant that she just checked the results from previous tests in the database, but she was adamant that she JUST did another line test. Bah I dunno what the hell I should do, it's so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Re the ISDN problem, sounds pretty strange. Are you using an Eircom supplied modem by any chance? If so, you shouldn't give up as they have no excuses then.

Re broadband, you may want to check with IrishWAN (http://www.irishwan.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=33) about coverage in Gorey. I don't know the locality very well but I thought there was talk of a node in that area in the near future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement