Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ff Xi

Options
  • 26-08-2004 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Having pre ordered the game, am now awaiting its delivery with bated breath.

Anyone know if there are any Irish clans/guilds or whatever they're called in this game?. And on which server?.

The anticipation is killing me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

ffxi is another pve fest. Hack endless monsters to get exp, to hack more monsters to get more exp and get items in order to hack more monsters.... no thx.

I'm a big fan of the FF series, but i've really had enough of just hacking monsters. This game really shoulnd't be called final fantasy because its a huge departure from the actual series. They are just milking the brand name to sell this one im affraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Memnoch wrote:
    ffxi is another pve fest. Hack endless monsters to get exp, to hack more monsters to get more exp and get items in order to hack more monsters.... no thx.

I'm a big fan of the FF series, but i've really had enough of just hacking monsters. This game really shoulnd't be called final fantasy because its a huge departure from the actual series. They are just milking the brand name to sell this one im affraid.

U-huh. And in response to my actual question???? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

ArthurG wrote:
    U-huh. And in response to my actual question???? :confused:

don't waste ur time and money on this game :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

gah, trolling...

I have yet to decide whether I will try out this game, leaving cert year and all that.. Have heard similar comment from others. When I do get it (ahh eventually I will), then it could be a bit of fun to get a few irish lads together and thrash them all, show em how its done :)

Any more interested people?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Memnoch wrote:
    don't waste ur time and money on this game :P

Bull****.

• Advertisement

ArthurG wrote:
    Having pre ordered the game, am now awaiting its delivery with bated breath.

Anyone know if there are any Irish clans/guilds or whatever they're called in this game?. And on which server?.

The anticipation is killing me!

It's a great game, despite Memnoch's reservations (below). I dunno if there's any Irish Linkshells, I doubt it, because it's just been released here.

If you drop me a PM when you get it I'll get you a worldpass for the Bahamut server, which I've been playing on since March :)

Yup, the game isn't based on PvP, and levelling up is a PvE experience. However, FFXI differs from other MMORPGs in that you have to team up with other people in order to do so.

Initially I was dissapointed, having been a huge fan of the FF series, but looking at it now I don't see how they could have made it any more FF, while adapting it to play in a MMORPG type way. In fact, the FF staples are all there... spells and potions act as they should, chocobos are available for running about on, moogles look after your house, and yes, there's a character named Cid. The storyline is very very well tied in with your adventuring in Vanadiel, which makes you want to do missions not because they're there but because you want to find out what happens, plot-wise :)

The game is constantly being improved, and new features added. There's a wealth of things to do in it bar going killing monsters for experience points, and even at level 58 (level cap is/was 75) I still have so much to do the whole time that I'm rarely ever bored. Plus, at this stage you're buying into a solid community where the little niggling bugs that you'd expect in new MMORPG games have all been ironed out, server uptime is excellent, and there's an established player base to help you out if you get into difficulties.

Best game I've ever played, including FFVII.

Finally! Grown up responses :D

Moridin, I'll PM you when I'm set up. As far as I know, Worldpasses can only be used for new chars - if you're already set up, you can't transfer??

Still waiting for the damn thing to arrive from play.com - while the 15 euro more expensive box sits on the shelf in GAME mocking me.....

By the way, doing my research,and am leaning towards a Tarutaru BLM/WHM....

ArthurG wrote:
    Finally! Grown up responses :D

Moridin, I'll PM you when I'm set up. As far as I know, Worldpasses can only be used for new chars - if you're already set up, you can't transfer??

Still waiting for the damn thing to arrive from play.com - while the 15 euro more expensive box sits on the shelf in GAME mocking me.....

By the way, doing my research,and am leaning towards a Tarutaru BLM/WHM....

Yea, that's right... your character is tied to the world you create it on, so you can't move an existing character to another world :)

My copy from play arrived today, so you should get it soon. I'm just worried now that my US reg code won't work on the EU version and I'll have to import the expansion pack.

If you're going to play a BLM/WHM/Summoner (SMN) as your main job then definately go for a Taru character. Humes or Mithra are good too, but Taru are definately the best race for those jobs.

Bah!. Postman been and gone.... and no package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Don't you have to pay a subscribtion to play the game online, or is that just for the use of a particular server? And how much is the subscribtion.

• Advertisement

Kain wrote:
    Don't you have to pay a subscribtion to play the game online, or is that just for the use of a particular server? And how much is the subscribtion?

Yup, you do... like most MMORPG's.

The first month is free, the second month is $9.99, and subsequent months are $12.99 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

moridin wrote:
    Yea, that's right... your character is tied to the world you create it on, so you can't move an existing character to another world :)
    That is normally true but server migration is being offered to ease the load of existing servers due to lots of new signups. That doesn't mean you can move to whatever world you want though and will most likely end up in the 3 new worlds they are trying to create.

CodeMonkey wrote:
    That is normally true but server migration is being offered to ease the load of existing servers due to lots of new signups. That doesn't mean you can move to whatever world you want though and will most likely end up in the 3 new worlds they are trying to create.

Yup, they started doing this a couple of days ago... I dunno if you can specify where you want to move to, I'd prob only move if I thought a load of other Euro players were gonna be on the same server.

I'm well in with my linkshell, and have plenty of friends on the server, so it'd be weird to move off it.

It's nice to know that the "we can't move you to another server" excuse is just an excuse though ;)

Wherebouts you playing code?

moridin wrote:
    It's nice to know that the "we can't move you to another server" excuse is just an excuse though ;)

Wherebouts you playing code?
    Well I can understand why they don't want let people move just because they want to. I am a lvl67 taru blm on the fairy server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Anyone happen to know when it's out on the PS2 over here?

It's not, they're not releasing the PS2 Hard Drive in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

hmm...suppose that's good for my bank account then.
    Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 shahakran

So the game has been out a week or so now, and I'm presuming there's a few who've started playing, so what does everyone think?
    Currently I'm playing on Kujata server but I've applied to emigrate -- too many powergamers trying to tell noobs what to do :(

So hopefully a new world and a fresh start It's cool as well that players from the same world will get moved
    to the same new world so there's a few of us after applying now

But first impressions are that if you're a fan of the FF series you will like this.
    I've stood at the drawbridge in Bastok watching airships come and go, stopped and turned anytime a chocobo ran past.
    But the ability to change your job to anything you want is strange -- sure it'll save you money but I just find it weird.
    (btw this is my first mmorpg experience, i don't think nwn counts, so i'm not sure if this is standard practice :) )
    But it looks great, the fights aren't too difficult, there's so much to do, there's chocobos and airships and Cid :D
    and if you're in a party of like minded ppl (be you power gamer *shakes fist* or just there to have fun) you will enjoy it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I played a few hours worth and can't figure out much... got up to level 5 and wanted some better eq but couldn't find any (should I buy it or whats the story?) Where can I get a fishing rod?

You need to buy all your equipment yeah... sometimes you can get drops of equipment from enemies but you won't get a full set.

You can probably buy a fishing rod from the fishing guild in Windy, or at the auction house.

• Advertisement

Illkillya:
    Always get the conquest signet on you. You can get it from a npc near the city gates or home points usually. By having the signet on means that you'll get crystals after killing something that gives you experience points. Sell the crystals and whatever drops off the creatures in auction house and you'll be able to afford new armour in early levels. Also having the signet lets you accumulate conquest points which are useful later. Getting money is a pain until you've figured out a way to get it.

shahakran:
    I can understand why more experienced players try to tell newbies what to do to make a exp party more efficient. You'll find sometimes you get into groups later, even at high levels, with people without a clue and you'll spend a few frustrated hours getting no experience points. Exp parties are no fun after a while, it's the missions and bcnm and other parts of the game that's fun so people leveling sub-jobs tends to get impatient.

CodeMonkey wrote:
    shahakran:
    I can understand why more experienced players try to tell newbies what to do to make a exp party more efficient. You'll find sometimes you get into groups later, even at high levels, with people without a clue and you'll spend a few frustrated hours getting no experience points. Exp parties are no fun after a while, it's the missions and bcnm and other parts of the game that's fun so people leveling sub-jobs tends to get impatient.

Last week I spent a frustrating 3 days trying to levelling up my White Mage subjob from lvl 25 to level 27. Why? Because most of the people in parties at that time were either thick (a player called Galaxia, who had lots of money, but no cop-on), or because they insisted on staying right in one spot trying to get XP. The problem being that there were about 8 other parties there at all times, so it was incredibly slow.

Finally made a good party myself last friday. Went from lvl 27 to 29 in just over an hour, switched to my black mage then and went from lvl 30 to 33 in just under 2 hours.

Generally, my advice would be to listen to higher rank players on how to be more effective, but if they say something that seems stupid to you question them on it. I would have thought my saying "this place is crowded, can we move a little further into the zone so there's less screwing up by other parties and more enemies to fight" was a good idea, but I wasn't listened to because there's a percieved higher risk of death when you get further from a town.

CodeMonkey wrote:
    Illkillya:
    Always get the conquest signet on you. You can get it from a npc near the city gates or home points usually. By having the signet on means that you'll get crystals after killing something that gives you experience points. Sell the crystals and whatever drops off the creatures in auction house and you'll be able to afford new armour in early levels. Also having the signet lets you accumulate conquest points which are useful later. Getting money is a pain until you've figured out a way to get it.

shahakran:

I've been getting signet... and am OK with money. Just finding stuff is difficult. Like I get a fishing rod from Windy fishing guild... I live in the elven city, do I have to walk to Windy or what kind of transportation is there? Or can I get a fishing rod in the elven city?

Also, I have been getting signet cast on me all the time, but I read in the manual that I must give crystals to the guy in the gatehouse in order to gain rank points, but I cannot see how to do this... there is nobody who asks for crystals... I tried trading and it didn't work.

Also, I tried distributing fliers to NPC from the magic shop and no luck there either, I tried doing through trading... am I doing something wrong?

Don't bother with trading crystal in for rank points at the moment. Just sell them in the auction house for money. But for your information, you use the trade command to give crystals to the guy that casts signet on you but he doesn't accept them all the time.

Windurst is miles away from Sandoria. Your only option is to walk until you can ride chocobos or take airships. Just read up on fishing leveling guides on the internet for what and where to fish to level it up. You only need to go to windy to get advance fishing support if you want it. Other than that, you can get all the fishing rods in auction house. Auction house is where you should look for armour if you can't see any your level in the armour shops in Sandoria, that is unless you can go to other cities.

Nice one, thanks. Let me know if you have any more tips :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just after buying this game and enjoying it so far but im finding it hard to earn money, is there any quick way to earn money apart from fighting the enemies at the start of the game that dont seem to drop much if any gil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ffxilad

"If you drop me a PM when you get it I'll get you a worldpass for the Bahamut server, which I've been playing on since March"

HOLY ****!!!!!!! Another Irish person on Bahamut!! I'm on Bahamut. Had the game since december. Erza 17RNG/7NIN Knights LS. My mate Ger from Tonglee road is also on Bahamut, His name is Zentar, what's yours??

ffxilad wrote:
    "If you drop me a PM when you get it I'll get you a worldpass for the Bahamut server, which I've been playing on since March"

HOLY ****!!!!!!! Another Irish person on Bahamut!! I'm on Bahamut. Had the game since december. Erza 17RNG/7NIN Knights LS. My mate Ger from Tonglee road is also on Bahamut, His name is Zentar, what's yours??
    17/7? go level your subjob up ;)

My character's Anomander, 59RDM/29BLM, from TeamTuesdays, drop me a /tell when you're online next if I'm about.

as Code says, make sure you get Signet from the Gate Guards, and then you can sell the crystals you make from killing enemies. Stacks of 12 crystals go for anything from 300 Gil (for earth crystals) to 7000 Gil (for light crystals) on my server, I'm sure it fluctuates on other worlds but it's a fast way of getting money :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ffxilad

Also try farming silk off Crawlers in W. Saratabarta

"17/7? go level your subjob up"

>.> Whoops XD My NIN's 30.. typo..

Advertisement