Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Cup Draw

• 26-08-2004 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

The Uefa Cup draw is being held at 11.30 friday morning and the format has been changed from last year.
    Two qualifying rounds and the first round proper will open the competition, at which point 40 clubs will advance to the group stage. This part of the competition comprises eight groups of five teams with two matches at home and two matches away for each team in each group. The winners, runners-up and third-placed team advance to the knock-out phase, at which point they are joined by the eight clubs which finish in third place in each of the groups in the UEFA Champions League group phase. From this point, the 32 clubs embark on a knock-out competition, playing two matches against each other on a home and away basis. The club scoring the greater aggregate of goals qualifying for the next round. In the event of both teams scoring the same number of goals, the team which scores more goals away qualifies.

Its going to be a lot longer for most clubs this time.

To tell the truth, I cant wait. Im a Middlesbrough fan and its going to be our first ever time in competitive european competition. I only hope we dont draw Shelbourne!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

here's hoping that Shels get a easy team and make it through to the group stages :):) fingers crossed !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

While the group stages wont be worth as much as the CL group stages, it will still be a pretty penny. Just wondering why they came up with 8 groups of 5 teams though? Just seems a little wierd to have 5 teams in a group with the top 3 qualifying.

If Shels get a nice draw, they could make a packet for themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The draw has been narrowed down for some reason that I can't really fathom out. Shelbourne can only draw one of these five teams:

S.S. Lazio (ITA)
    Besiktas JK (TUR)
    Lille OSC (FRA)
    Grazer AK (AUT)
    Heart of Midlothian (SCO)

Lazio would be a disaster, however probably another day out to Lansdowne.

I wouldn't fancy Shels chances in Turkey either.

I'd love to see them draw Hearts, especially after Grazer beat Liverpool in Anfield the other night.

oh, only another hour,

maybe they got those teams because of the seeding??

I want to see shels playing the worst side there. Is that lazio in Seria A , dont recongise the initals before the name. Is there a ranking available of the sides listed??

I dont think Shels should be intimidated where they go. they played well against the semi finalist of the champions league and those teams are no Deportivo as far as I can see (bar lazio)

Is that lazio in Seria A

The very same.

• Advertisement

oh dear:O, if they get them it might not be very pretty!!

But on the bright side, playing sides from iceland and other teams in europe will seem like childs lays:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Hearts would be ideal. A big name (17 letters!) in that everyone's heard of them, and they might just be beatable.

Lazio wouldnt be bad at all because they are Lazio. Bigger than Deportivo, but maybe less good. Wouldnt give Shels much chance, but it would be an unbelievable occassion.

Beskitas would be a disaster. Probably get well beaten, and wouldnt be lucrative at all.

Lille only qualified for the UEFA Cup thru the InterToto, so they're not great. They're mid table in France after three games W1 D1 L1. Althouh I suppose they have to be playing reasonably OK to make it thru the InterToto.

Graz won the Austrian double and gave Liverpool trouble. That probably makes them a decent side.

Bring on the Jambos! please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

People also seem to forget that deportivo hadn't been playing competitively before the Shels matches. Lazio will be by then as will all the others. Hearts would probably be the best draw from that bunch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody know if the draw is on TV or Raido....?

Dub13 wrote:
    Anybody know if the draw is on TV or Raido....?

Well you seem to have an internet connection :D so you could look at www.uefa.com , they had a nice little flash thing for the CL draw yesterday, but may be a bit dodgy if your on dial-up.

Otherwise, you can probably follow the draw on www.bbc.co.uk/sport

Or if you can wait for about three to four weeks RTE might get round to updating Aertel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

hearts would be perfect.

Big names enter UEFA Cup fray
    Friday, 27 August 2004

Eighty teams enter today's UEFA Cup first round draw at 12.30CET in Monaco knowing they are just one tie from the competition's inaugural group stage.

Different routes

All 32 winners from the second qualifying round will go into the hat along with the 29 teams who received a bye to the first round, the three UEFA Intertoto Cup winners and the 16 teams defeated in the UEFA Champions League third qualifying round. The teams are split into eight groups of ten teams, with five seeds in each pool to be drawn against any of the five unseeded clubs.

Group stage
    The sides that emerge victorious from the two-legged ties, scheduled for 16 and 30 September, will then be split into eight pools of five, with the first of five group stage matchdays on 21 October.

Former winners
    Among the teams in the hat are former UEFA Cup winners Feyenoord and Parma FC, plus Newcastle United FC, who lifted the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1968/69, UEFA Cup Winners' Cup victors S.S. Lazio, Sporting Clube de Portugal, FC Dinamo Tbilisi, Rangers FC and Real Zaragoza, and former European champions SL Benfica, FK Crvena Zvezda and FC Steaua Bucuresti.

European debutants
    Joining them in the draw are three European debutants from the second-flights of France, Germany and England - TSV Alemannia Aachen, LB Châteauroux and Millwall FC - who all lost their respective national cup finals to Champions League entrants. Another English team making their bow are League Cup holders Middlesbrough FC. Greece's Egaleo FC are also on the list of competition newcomers, while FC Schalke 04 and Villarreal CF cross over from the Intertoto Cup for the second year running along with fellow winners Lille OSC.

Valencia absent
    Holders Valencia CF are not in the running, however, as they will compete in the Champions League group stage. Yet they could still defend their trophy, as the eight third-placed teams in that round will join the top three in each of the UEFA Cup groups in February's Round of 32.

UEFA Cup first round draw (ties 16/30 Sepember)

Group 1
    Seeded:
    Unseeded:
    S.S. Lazio (ITA)
    SC Braga (POR)
    Besiktas JK (TUR)
    PFC Litex Lovech (BUL)
    Lille OSC (FRA)
    FC Metalurh Donetsk (UKR)
    Grazer AK (AUT)
    FK Bodø/Glimt (NOR)
    Shelbourne FC (IRL)

Looks like Shels arent seeded after all. Its seeded against unseeded I belive so the following were correct.
    S.S. Lazio (ITA)
    Besiktas JK (TUR)
    Lille OSC (FRA)
    Grazer AK (AUT)

UEFA CUP DRAW
    First round

Shelbourne v Lille

Grazer AK v Litex Lovech
    Lazio v Metalurh Donetsk
    FK Bodo/Glimt v Besiktas

HEARTS v SC Braga
    xxxxxxxx v xxxxxxxx

at least were not playing lazio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Lille

How good\bad are they ?.

At least they avoided LAzio and a trip to Turkey

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Draw in full.

UEFA CUP DRAW
    First round
    AK Graz v Litex Lovech
    Lazio v Metalurg Donetsk
    Bodo/Glimt v Besiktas
    Shelbourne v Lille
    HEARTS v SC Braga
    Austria Vienna v Legia Warsaw
    Banska Bystrica v Benfica
    Partizan Belgrade v Dinamo Bucharest
    Parma v Maribor
    Real Zaragoza v Sigma Olomouc
    Sporting Lisbon v Rapid Vienna
    NEWCASTLE v Hapoel Bnei Sakhnin
    Steaua Bucharest v CSKA Sofia
    Wisla Krakow v Dinamo Tbilisi
    Utrecht v Djurgarden

UEFA CUP DRAW
    First round
    MILLWALL v Ferencvaros
    Schalke 04 v Liepajas Metalurgs
    Maccabi Haifa v Dnipro D'trovsk
    Terek Grozny v FC Basel
    Odd Grenland v Feyenoord
    Aab Aalborg v Auxerre
    Sevilla v Nacional Madeira
    Nova Gorica v AEK Athens
    Standard Liege v VfL Bochum
    Crvena Zvezda v Zenit St Petersburg
    Trabzonspor v Athletic Bilbao
    Ujpest v VfB Stuttgart
    Maccabi P-Tikva v Heerenveen
    Panionios v Udinese
    Levski Sofia v Beveren

UEFA CUP DRAW
    First round
    Dinamo Zagreb v Elfsborg
    Hafnarfjordur v Alemannia Aachen
    MIDDLESBROUGH v Banik Ostrava
    Club Brugge v Chateauroux
    PAOK Salonika v AZ Alkmaar
    Ventspils v Amica Wronki
    FC Sochaux v Stabaek
    Egaleo v Genclerbirligi
    RANGERS v Maritimo
    Villarreal v Hammarby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

ferenc have a lot of thugs as fans so i can imagine some sparks flying before, during and after that tie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Newcastle should be happy with Hapoel Bnei Sakhnin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Shelbourne v Lille
    After Deportivo & Hadjuk this one is easier.
    If they advance its lots more European football for the Dublin club which benefits the whole Eircom league.

• Advertisement

MIDDLESBROUGH vs Banik Ostrave

Czech team i believe - anyone know anything about them? Should be a reasonably easy draw for Boro.

MILLWALL vs Ferencvaros - very tough tie for Millwall.
    NEWCASTLE vs Hapoel Bnei Sakhnin - unknown really - trip to Israel though could undo them
    RANGERS vs Maritimo - can see rangers losing this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A very good draw , in the sense that to most of Europe they are a known team and if Shelbourne beat them the league might get some recognition from here and abroad , yet not an incredable task either as Lazio and Besiktas may have been .

I think Shels will go through on away goals .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I definitely think Shels not only can but will beat Lille. At first I would have preferred the away leg first but since Moore misses the first leg it can only be a good thing that he'll be available for the away leg.

Lille came 9th in the French league last year, losing more games than they won. They were 6 points below Nantes who Cork gave a run for their money last month. Their top scorer last season, Manchev with 13 goals (a third of Lille's total scored), has been sold to Levante for 2m. Eric Abidal ("The new Thuram") who was capped by France last week has left for Lyon for 5m.

Lille's best player is supposedly Acimovic, thats not saying much given his disastrous time at Spurs. They also signed Tavlaridis on loan from Arsenal a few months ago. Bruno Cheyrou's brother also plays for them. :D

Since this is the first round proper Ireland will get 0.667 coefficiant points for a Shels win so one win would move us above Macedonia and Belarus and possibly Iceland and Liechtenstein.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2005.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Say Eire , if we somehow got to 35th ahead of Lithuania , how many teams would we have in competition(I think its the same number , but im not sure) and at what stage would they start ?

Its a good draw lille, it may be more like hijack split that Deportivo and Shels may well do it. if will probably need a scoring draw in france and get 1 or 2 nill here in dublin, fingers crossed !!

0.667 coefficiant points for a win/....
    whats a draw? and is any of those teams 39 to 30 playing more matches ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Big Ears wrote:
    Say Eire , if we somehow got to 35th ahead of Lithuania , how many teams would we have in competition(I think its the same number , but im not sure) and at what stage would they start ?
    I've just noticed that table I linked hasn't been updated since 13th August.

The last column (nt05) is the amount of clubs that country has in Europe. Ireland says 1/3 which means 1 club is left out of 3. Since it hasn't been updated its slightly wrong.

Liechtenstein have no clubs in Europe, Vaduz got knocked out last night, they stay on 4.000. Belarus and Macedonia have no clubs left. Iceland have one club left (Hafnarfjardar) and since they won last night they're now on 4.498. Lithuania are now on 5.332 with no clubs in Europe.

So, there's no chance of us catching Lithuania (edit: actually there is if Shels get to the group stage) but if we win 1 match and Iceland don't get any more points we'll be in joint 36th spot. We'd have to get up to about 20th spot to get an extra European sopt which is highly unlikely in the near future. The seedings will be boosted with a higher place obviously.

BTW, that Icelandic side, Hafnarfjordur, got Alemannia Aachen in the first round so they have a good chance of progressing further.

if we get up to 36th spot i think it would be a lot achieved in one season!! But i think Shels have a serious good chance of getting into the group stage.

Boro wrote:
    Czech team i believe - anyone know anything about them? Should be a reasonably easy draw for Boro.

Actually was doing some reading - Banik Ostrava won the Czech league last season and were runners up in their Cup competition. The lost 5-0 away from home to Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League qualifiers, but beat a severely weakened Leverkusen 2-1 back home.

Tougher than I thought, but hopefully we can beat them.

Shells v Lille should be a very interesting game, we will see how much progress Shells have been making there as they should have a good chance against them, going on performances so far this season.

Shels draw Lille in UEFA Cup

Shelbourne have drawn French side Lille in the first round proper of the UEFA Cup after Friday’s draw in Nyon, giving them a fighting chance of progressing to the group stages of the tournament.

Shels will have home advantage in the first leg on September 16 before travelling to France on September 30 hoping to progress to the money-spinning UEFA Cup group stages.

While Shelbourne are ranked lower than Lille in UEFA’s coefficient table, they have very little European experience with only three seasons experience of European competition, once in the Champions League, once in the European Cup Winners Cup and once in the UEFA Cup.

This season, they have started Le Championat slowly picking up just four points from their opening three games of the season while they have also lost Bulgaria international striker Vladimir Manchev who has moved to Spain this summer.

Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon was guarded in his reaction to the draw. “I haven’t really thought about it so far to be honest because I’ve been busy concentrating on Saturday’s Cup game, but if we do our homework right, it does give us a good chance to progress.

“We’ve learnt a lot from the games in Europe and will bring that into the matches. But first we’ve got to concentrate on the League and Cup.”

From the FAIreland

• Advertisement
Advertisement