Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memories, manky dutch gold coloured memories!

• 26-08-2004 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here remember going to the Disco in Old Wesley. Just passed by there on the bus. It brought back being 13 and locked on 3 cans. The place was a right of passage for loads of us in my area at the time, gaining an almost mythical status with the first years. Man it's been like 10 years! Is it still on? Do people still go? When is it on? I remember going, and it seemed late. Lol I'm beginning to feel so old!

Anyone have similar stories/places when they were younger.

*music fades out*
    Ross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

We had 'The Word'

A dirty smelly disco in Na Fianna's hall on Mobhi Road.

Every saturday was an orgy of drunken or boys and girls, the boys in ben sherman shirts and the girls in micromini skirts and Fúck Me boots!

They played Ultrasonic, Scooter and other cheesy dance classics!

It wasn't really my kinda place but I did go a few times....

nearly 10 years ago.....!

Fixxxed you've made me feel old now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Oh god yeah, I had a Ben Sherman shirt, a tub of brilcream and a ton of lynx! I thought I was dead slick too. (Not really) Sorry Kone, this age thing is becoming an issue! We're so far past it!

Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I used to go to discos in the local community centre. I'm not feeling old, just ashamed, as it was only about 4 years ago for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I went to my local knacker, I mean, community disco, once. Even at 13/14 I knew how terrible it was. Thankfully..... I didnt go out to a disco ever again. Thankfully from the age of 14 upwards my best mates very irresponsible mother used to leave us in the house on our own for weekends at a time. Yeah, we had deadly parties then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Old Wesley is still going. It is unbelievable some of the "children", for that is what they are, that you see there if you are passing on a Friday night! It gets worse all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

old wesley is saturday.

its amazes me how the place is still going, their most be some amount of brown envelopes passing hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I never went to discoes... does that mean i never had a childhood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

you missed nothing.they were crap with horrible music and lanky boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I too missed the Wesley days. Although most of my class still go to places like redbox *shudder*. Not for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

only 8 years have passed since i started going to school discos :(
    thank **** i discovered house partys and raves :D

• Advertisement

House parties are king with me too. The option of falling over in a heap and just sleeping at any time is a definite plus for me! I don't think anyone missed anything important at these things. My cousin went a few years back when she visited from Amsterdam. "What the hell does 'will ye meet me mate' mean?" Lol she said it's a bad sign if Irish men act like that when they're older!
    Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

The grove man, the grove, one remembers moshing to black sabbath, those were the days (god, i feel old now :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

anyone ever go to Doon disco in limerick...some laugh...they used to get dusty rhodes and other 2fm dj's down to play crappy music for the nite...and everyone was langered from drinking some fcuked up mixture of spirits outside before hand....and there was always loads of scraps...each town/village had their spot in the hall and every now and then they used to 'bop' over for a quick tussle with the neighbouring crowd

My strongest memory is putting about 10 different drinks into a coke bottle and thinking "Dolly Mixtures are deadly". Cherry, melon, vodka, whiskey, port, gin combo. Blurrgh. Bein locked, or at least thinkin you were locked. *wipes a tear away*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

My cousin who lives with me goes as often as possible, despite my best to put a stop to it. Think she said it closed down about a month ago. Mayhaps I'm wrong.

I personally never went to it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

SteveD wrote:
    I never went to discoes... does that mean i never had a childhood?
    No it means you're the same as me: great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

heh i was at the knacker disco last nite. its called the arena, supposed to have id but nobody gets turned away. as always there are about 5 drunken brawls outside the place and plenty of drunken tools driving their corsa's round the car park tryin to do hand brake turns etc. still though, i was out to celibrate my gcse results (jc equivilent) and i had a good night, any fightin is done by drunken yahoo's and if you want to keep out of the trouble you can :D shame the venue is gettin torn down in about 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ERR!

aww man wesly..back in d days of baby wezz i use to go loads like i went in second year few years ago bout 3 now god the photos i have of that place...the clothes me n my friends wore *cringe*drinking up the lane be4 going in...aww iv such memories

ten old wesly not so long ago i use to go ah man twsa a great lauf to go during 4th year it was ova 18s but u culd get in on a usit like its grand man the memories of that place n the bar was always full of old pervy men tee hee aww great stories..old wezz is sat night n baby wezz is fri nite :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

God yeah the Wesley aaaaaaaargh!! Just cringing at the memories, and the clothes!! Can't believe that was 10 years ago now, eek. Getting old. Lived near the Word but for some reason we used to trek over to Donnybrook, getting pissed on the number 10 first haha. Naggin of vodka and a bottle of Coke, sorted!!! "Yeah mam, X's mam is picking us up after and we're staying at her house....."

Probably snogged the face off half the blokes there. Ah yes, those were the days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Crikey, what's the world coming to when lads and lassies in their early twenties start feeling old!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ERR!

its actualy so embarrasing when you think bout the things you did..well it is for me like omg scarlet :o:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Bunnyefey

I never got into the Wesley type disco scene. I remember friends telling me they had to que outside for hours to get in and that was just not appealing to me at all. Besides, I don't think I would have enjoyed the "smelly rocker" insults for the whole night. No siree bob.

I just did the whole house party thing. They were the most amazing nights. Gate-crashing some poor unfortunates party, drinking all their drink, making beer can forts in their garden and then wandering home again, hoping that you didn't fall asleep on the pavement "meomories, like the corner of my mind"

Advertisement