Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

people power

Options
  • 26-08-2004 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

And it appears from this report that the crowds are not distingushing much between the so called Moderate Al Sistani and the so called radical Sadr.

Extracts:

"The gates of Najaf's Imam Ali shrine were forced open on Thursday by a sea of weeping and chanting Shiite Muslims, ending a siege which had lasted for weeks of fighting with United States forces."

"Further up the stream of at least 20 000 demonstrators, in the Al-Jadida neighbourhood outside the Old City, a surreal scene unfolded as bewildered American soldiers trapped in their tanks watched as posters of Sistani and Moqtada posters were waved in their faces.

The presence of the US troops in the neighbourhood underlined that the battle was not over and that a tense "armed truce" could follow the jubilation.

US forces were still deployed all along the edge of the sprawling Valley of Peace cemetery, one of the largest in the world, as well as in several neighbourhoods outside the Old City. "

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/Iraq/0,,2-10-1460_1579361,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There seems to be some sort of peace breaking out there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i was amazed how every night you heard that it was their last night and still for 3 weeks they resisted... reports on tv today are the us showing how yerman damage the shrine and a cellar with executed and mutilated iraqi police in them... i dunno

i consider the us as ahostile occupation force but at the same time, i wadn't sure whether it was "fair" for yerman to use a holy shrine as a base...

i read a good article where someone said you shoudln't be just worried about the guys tortured or killed in ahru garib but those killed by mortar attacks by irai insurgents also

collateral damge on both sides it seems?

Advertisement