Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broaband Finally In My Area

• 26-08-2004 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭

hey I live in Bray and before you say adsl is in my area, that's not what I want since of the cap.

IBB has arrived in my area and I'm planning to get either the 512/512 package or the 1024/1024 package.

Now atm I have ISDN and I will get rid of it when I get the IBB.
    what will my line rental go down to with just one line with eircom.

Also currently I'm on Esat IOL Anytime 180hours package and I haven't been billed for the last year (service turned on 1st August). I want to cancel this too but will this mean they'll look for their money? Is it not their fault for not charging the credit card?

One other question which is for the people on IBB 512/512 package.
    I was on to IBB on the phone today and they said that you can't have the VL equipment with the 512/512 package and you can only have it with the 1024/1024 package.

I seem to remember that Mutant_Fruit from these boards is on the 512/512 package with the VL equipment. Were they just leading me up the proverbial garden path?

thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no one has any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

from €37 to €0 unless you downgrade to pots for €25 in which case it will be €24 a month
    thereafter.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Cr3m0 wrote:
    One other question which is for the people on IBB 512/512 package.
    I was on to IBB on the phone today and they said that you can't have the VL equipment with the 512/512 package and you can only have it with the 1024/1024 package.

I seem to remember that Mutant_Fruit from these boards is on the 512/512 package with the VL equipment. Were they just leading me up the proverbial garden path?
    I think the deal is they don't want to give the more expensive VL gear to people getting the cheap service. I believe i was one of a few special cases to get it with the 512/512 package, but since then i've "upgraded" to the 1mb/1mb (which i should have been getting from the second they changed the Breeze Home Plus package to 1024/1024!).

And here's the updated list of IBB's prices/packages. The website is so out of date you could nearly sue them for false advertising...

(as for the line rental, if you ditch a line, i tihnk you save 25euro a month (ish), and you'll get even more back when you ditch ISDN).

where's there up to date price list??

check the edited post... why couldn't you just wait like a patient person would :p

(stupid 100kb file limit, i had to edit the file)

• Advertisement

thanks,

does anyone know where i stand with esat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Their billing dept is so incompetent that God knows what will happen. Best case you get away with it, worst case you pay what's due. Not exactly a big deal is it?

yeh i suppose but is there no one i could turn to saying it's their fault for not billing me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

Same here, I contacted them yesterday and they told me that I can only have the Breeze Plus package. It doesn't sound like a bad deal (hoping it will work anyway!). I rang them twice because I wasn't sure about the price!
    I'll be connecting to their new antenna in Killester by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I called IBB and they are upgrading all customers on the €48 package over the coming few days to the 1MB service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Cr3m0 wrote:
    yeh i suppose but is there no one i could turn to saying it's their fault for not billing me?
    It's your fault for using the service - nobody forced you to.

The best you would be entitled to would be a payment plan, spreading the cost over a couple of months, but you're legally liable for the costs that you incurred, as far as I know.

ok well i have decided to order IBB mmmmmm 1mb up/down here i come (where's the drool emoticon ?? ) :confused:

how long does it take for them once they receive the contract forms and order form for them to come to the house to install

"two weeks"

grand so, i'm sending the forms in tomorrow

That "two weeks" reply was a bit sarcastic because that's what IBB always says to any query. I ordered two weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet, and I was told two weeks when I ordered.

right i just posted (bout an hour ago) the order form and contract and i simply can't wait til i can get this (i hope i'm in the LOS fingers crossed)

wow this has gone well off topic :D

just a post i'm a single user pc so will i need a router or anything or will it all be provided by IBB?

how does IBB connect to pc network card?

i have a Gbit lan on my abit ic7-g max 2 if that's any help.

sorry i'm totally clueless about broadband (espically wireless.)

first of all DSL is not counted by how much do you download but how much bandwidth do you use - speed, not data!
    Well, not technically true at all. They only have so much bandwidth (speed) available at any one second. The more people who download (transfer data) the less bandwidth (speed) there is for everyone else.

Back on topic...
    how does IBB connect to pc network card?
    They stick a littleass antenne on your roof, and run a cable down the side of your wall. They then drill a tiny hole (the width of a CAT5 cable) through your wall, and pass the cable in through that. If there is already an opening, they could use that.

Once the cable is through, it runs along whereever you want them to put it, and enters a "magic box" they supply you with. This box ain't a router or firewall, its just a "magic box". Then, an ethernet cable comes from the "maggic box" and enters your computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Cap crap split off to this thread.

i like the sound of that magic box

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Cr3m0 wrote:
    wow this has gone well off topic :D

just a post i'm a single user pc so will i need a router or anything or will it all be provided by IBB?
    They'll provide a "raw" Ethernet connection - it'll plug straight into an ethernet port on your PC if you want to be hacked to death in 25 minutes, or you can purchase a "broadband router" for €40 that will at least provide you with NAT functionality to prevent direct attacks on your PC. (IBB don't sell these as far as I know, you organise that yourself). At the very least, make sure you have a software firewall installed on the machine before you plug the IBB connection in.

They did call me the other day to arrange installation, so the two weeks weren't far off the mark.

Anyone know what dBi their aerials are at?

what router/firewall would you recommend?

i'll definlately have a software firewall any ways

Advertisement