Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless network kinda?!

• 26-08-2004 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

lo,
    i have 2 computers at home, one down stairs and is connected to the internet (dialup) and one up stairs no net access! if i had one of these in each comp would i be able to wake the downstairs comp and connect to the internet from upstairs??
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Your post requires a few answers.

1) If you install a wireless card in each PC then, assuming they can communicate (not always a given in, for example, houses with foil-backed plasterboard) then you will be able to connect from one computer to another.

2) Re Waking Up the downstairs PC: I'm not aware of any wireless card that supports Wake On Lan. If I'm mistaken, I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will correct me.

3) You won't automatically be able to connect to the Internet from the upstairs PC. You'll need to set up an Internet Sharing service on the downstairs PC and configure the upstairs PC to use the downstairs PC as the gateway.

So, apart from the Wake On Lan, you should be able to get most of what you want.

Regards,

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You can get wireless access points with 56k modems in them so you wouldn't have to wake up the downstairs PC. The early Apple AirPort Base stations can be used, even on the PC. The later ones lack the modem. Some DSL access points also have modems in them too. But they tend to be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Palmerstown04

you need a wirelss router - go for dual band b and g as some systems dont recognise one or the other. Lynxsys is cool brand. Remeber to use hex authentication and make it the same 26 a-h -1-8 code for each node on your network. Security is paramount on wireless systems so your **** neighbour cant **** you over y tapp tapp tappin onto your network.

now for the fun bit about wireless in this **** town of Dublin. So fair and foul a hag i had not seen. Cafe en seine and bewleys have wireless hotspots also the place there in rathmines. Went there with my spanked up lapo and got 2 network connections. One asked for a login code - i.e. had to be subscription based which means ytou can pay as you go or monthly job. Same as phone ****. tHE OTHER network was rapid. as they say in the Barn!!!

laters ****oes

Advertisement