Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recover overwritten file

Options
  • 26-08-2004 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

I have an Excel spread sheet that I accidently saved over.
    Can this data be recovered? if so how is it done, anyone know of software that can get it back, I know you can get software to undelete files.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it was saved OVER then it's almost certainly gone forever.
    Yes the CIA can recover layers of magnetism but it is not always 100% and anyway they have a budget about the size of our GNP.

Microsoft don't care. If they did then Excel would make backup copies of files in the same way that the original spreadsheet programs did to 20 years ago. (BTW: Excel is still worse than Lotus or OpenOffice when it comes to trying to open a corrupt Excel file..)

for the future In Excel - File Save AS - general options - somewhere in there is an option to make bakup copies - its a per file setting - you have to turn it on individually for each and every file.

You could look in the temp folder for a file of the same size and date - usually only works if excel crashed, actually never works cos it's just a piece of a file, but can be handy for word.

rest2514 - nice little file recovery program

Advertisement