Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP? pro/home

Options
  • 27-08-2004 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Could someone please tell me the differences between windows xp pro and windows xp home since there is a considerable price difference there must be some differences in the product. Any info will be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Richy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, XP pro has more features to do with networking and more services.

I think they're the same under the bonnet (secure logins/data, NTFS capability), but home is aimed more at the consumer market, obviously.

Having never seen, let alone used XP home, I can't give much more than that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Pro has these extra features that home doesn't:

SMP support (> 1 physical CPU)
    WMI
    Inbound Remote Desktop
    MMC
    Group Policy
    Domain capabilities
    More granular management tools
    EFS
    More granular file system security capabilities

and probably more that I forget now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

home has MMC doesn't it?

hmm i remember using that on a home ver. when i used windows before!

Yeah - suppose you're right ;) but it doen't have all the connectors or providers for MMC that Pro does...

To be honest I find MMC in Home pretty useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Get XP Pro if you ever intend using IIS as you can't use IIS on Home (as I found out recently :o )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Colm - is it possible to change NTFS permissions on a home system? I have Pro on my PC and that's fine, but I have home on my laptop and that has no "security" tab in properties for folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Thanks for the info so far, any chance of not using abreviations as I'm not too familiar with these, been usin win 98 me whole life, is it possible to set us a two computer network using win xp home?

-oRnein9- wrote:
    Thanks for the info so far, any chance of not using abreviations as I'm not too familiar with these, been usin win 98 me whole life, is it possible to set us a two computer network using win xp home?
    Shouldn't be an issue.
    If you just want it for sharing files and internet connection, then it'll do just fine.

XP Home has a wizard to help you setup your home network, so it's very easy to use it.

Glossary:

SMP = Symmetrical MultiProcessing
    WMI = Windows Managament Instrumentation
    MMC = MIcrosoft Management Console
    EFS = Encrypted File System

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I think I'll go with home and save myself a few quid.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Richy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

home edition will be fine for the average home user (say, someone upgrading from 98/me)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

if it helps the cheapest i have found is Marx-conputers 120 euro incl vat (Home)
    www.marx-computers.com

Colm - is it possible to change NTFS permissions on a home system? I have Pro on my PC and that's fine, but I have home on my laptop and that has no "security" tab in properties for folders.

Stephen, use cacls.exe from the command prompt. Even though the UI isn't there in home, the underlying functionality is.

hmm... I wonder if there's some third party apps i can download to give me a nice ui :)

Go on - give the command line a go - it's often more powerful than the UI anyway, and it is scriptable! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

just in case you are still looking for info, i came across this summary before when i was looking into the difference:

With Windows XP, the two Windows OS lines merge, so we'll no longer have Windows 2000/Windows NT and Windows Me/Windows 98—just Windows XP. However, we still have two different types of users: the office user and the basic home user with one machine. Hence the two versions of Windows XP: Windows XP Professional Edition, for those accustomed to Win2K Professional/NT Workstation, and Windows XP Home Edition, for those accustomed to Windows Me/Win98.

Although the XP Pro and Home Editions share the same common core code, they don't have the same features. The right version for you depends on the functionality you need. Think of XP Pro as a superset of XP Home. Below is a short list of supported features:

* Backup—XP Pro has the standard Win2K backup program; XP Home has no backup program.
    * Dynamic Disks—XP Pro supports dynamic disks; XP Home doesn't.
    * IIS—XP Pro includes IIS; XP Home doesn't.
    * Encrypted File System (EFS)—EFS debuted in Win2K and lets you encrypt files on an NTFS partition, a very useful feature for mobile machines. XP Pro includes EFS; XP Home doesn't.
    * Multiple Monitors—XP Pro supports up to nine monitors; XP Home supports only one monitor (Windows Me/Win98 supported multiple monitors).
    * Multiprocessor—XP Pro supports up to two processors; XP Home supports only one (as did Windows Me/Win98).
    * Remote Assistance—Both editions support Remote Assistance, which lets someone from a Help desk connect to the client desktop to troubleshoot problems.
    * Remote Desktop—XP Pro adds to Remote Assistance by letting any machine running a Terminal Services client run one Terminal Services session against an XP Pro machine.
    * Domain Membership—XP Pro systems can be domain members; XP Home systems can't, but they can access domain resources.
    * Group Policy—XP Pro supports group policies; XP Home doesn't.
    * IntelliMirror—XP Pro supports IntelliMirror, which includes Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS), software deployment, and user setting management; XP Home doesn't support IntelliMirror.
    * Upgrade from Windows Me/Win98—Both XP Pro and XP Home support this upgrade.
    * Upgrade from Win2K/NT—Only XP Pro supports this upgrade.
    * 64-bit Support—Only XP Pro will have a 64-bit version that supports the Itanium systems.
    * Network Support—XP Pro includes support for Network Monitor, SNMP, IP Security (IPSec), and the Client Services for NetWare (CSNW); XP Home doesn't.

For the best list of supported features, see the Feature Guide document (featguid.doc) on the root of the XP CD-ROM.

Backup—XP Pro has the standard Win2K backup program; XP Home has no backup program.

Home does have a backup utility - it's in the ValueAdd folder on the XP Home CD.
    Multiple Monitors—XP Pro supports up to nine monitors; XP Home supports only one monitor (Windows Me/Win98 supported multiple monitors).

As for multimon, all versions of XP support this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

In a nutshell, XP Pro is windows 2000 all coloured in (ie. NT4 with USB support), XP home is Win 98 all coloured in (ie. 95 with USB support).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Stephen wrote:
    hmm... I wonder if there's some third party apps i can download to give me a nice ui :)
    Safe mode has the UI for NTFS permissions IIRC

It makes no sense to me why they'd leave the functionality in but remove the UI. Surely the smart thing to do for home edition would have been to switch it off but leave an option for users who need it to turn it on.

meh.

• Advertisement

In a nutshell, XP Pro is windows 2000 all coloured in (ie. NT4 with USB support), XP home is Win 98 all coloured in (ie. 95 with USB support).

While I see what you're trying to say here, it's a gross oversimplification.
    I'd say somethign like this:

"In a nutshell, XP Pro is Windows 2000 with better hardware support and a nice coloured UI, XP Home is a version of Windows XP Pro targeted at a novice PC/home user, and provides infinately more stability than Windows 9x"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Stephen wrote:
    It makes no sense to me why they'd leave the functionality in but remove the UI. Surely the smart thing to do for home edition would have been to switch it off but leave an option for users who need it to turn it on.

Its so the average user can't just open up these tools and destroy his pc, but the tools are left there so anyone with more knowdlege can access them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

XP Pro is designed with extra networking capabilities. It is better set up therefore for broadband users than dial up.

From a broadband point of view, XP Home and XP Professional are identical in their capabilities.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Its so the average user can't just open up these tools and destroy his pc, but the tools are left there so anyone with more knowdlege can access them.
    C: -> Deny All -> Everyone

So, so easy to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Has anyone noticed that since the SP2 upgrade, "home" has disappeared from the XP boot up screen.

And the yellow progress bar has changed to blue, which is the same as XP Pro.

Have I just upgraded to XP Pro? :D

Advertisement