Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP tablet edition apps open in notepad

Options
  • 27-08-2004 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

My friend was using my tablet pc and she managed to do something to it.
    When I try to open an app it opens in notepad. I askde her what she did and she said that she right clicked on an app and selected properties. Then selected the read-only box in attributes and clicked Apply. Now my apps open in notepad full of numbers and letters. Although the app will run if I right click on the app and select run-as and then when the window pops up just click OK. I have tried the .exe fix reg file but that has not fixed the problem.
    Please Help!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Can you launch the .exe directly with success (don't use a shortcut)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

No I can't it still pops up as a notepad. Also when I start the pc it launches notepads with these titles
    TabTip,rundll32,srmclean,cpqset,QIcon,CPQMCSRV,qttask,ctfmon,regsvr32,dumprep,
    msmsgs,YPager,pttrun,AGRSMMSG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Have you checked for a virus? Sounds extremely 'virus-like' to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Try locating a File Association for "exe" files:

Open My Computer -> Click Tools Menu -> Folder Options. Click the File Types tab. Click "New" and type EXE in the box. Click Advanced and change the Associated File Type to "Application". Click OK and then close the Folder Options box. This should work, but it won't do any harm. Of course have a good virus/trojan/adware scan as soon as it's fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

THANK YOU very much this thing has been pissing me off for the last couple of weeks.
    I don't think it was any sort of virus because I had tried all my antivirus software.

• Advertisement
Advertisement