Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly installed line Failed then Passed then Failed dsl tests

• 27-08-2004 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I moved to a new house 2 months ago and got the phoneline reconnected with a new number. (Was a phone there previously, landlord got it disconnected I got it reconnected)

Afterwards I had to badger Eircom consistently to get the number added to the DSL database. Took about 7 weeks but eventually it was added, I tested the line ont he DSL test and it passed.

I proceeded to order EsatBT RDSL (it also passed the test on the BT site, possibly taken from the same Eircom DSL database)

2 weeks after I have ordered DSL I decided to test the line again for the laugh, lo and behold it's failing on Eircoms, Esats and UTV Quiksilvers tests.

I've rang eircom and they said "Uhhh yeah it happens sometimes, not much you can do, I doubt it'll ever pass"

Funny thing is I'm pretty sure some of the neighbours have dsl installed.

What's the best course of action? If I can't get DSL I'm gonna have to move so would rather get it tbh.

.logic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Maybe you got a split line. What speeds do you get on dial up? A split line will never pass for DSL :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Tbh, I think with Eircom its hit and miss.
    My line had to pass this "extra test". I was waiting about 2 months for the results. Eventually after waiting the time they told me it would take I rang them. They said another week. I rang a week later and asked to speak to Mark (the guy I had been dealing with), muppet who answered said there was no Mark working there. Ok, I said and explained my situation. He looked the test up on his computer and said "Ah yes the results came back this morning. And it says here you failed the test. I'm afraid you'll never be able to get broadband". Grr I said and hung up.

Then out of curiosity I rang again, got a different guy, asked to speak to Mark. He put me on to Mark. Asked Mark what was the craic (not telling him I had just been on to someone else). He said it'd be another day. I rang the next day. Lo and behold my line had passed the test and now I have DSL.

/me shrugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

eth0_ wrote:
    Maybe you got a split line. What speeds do you get on dial up? A split line will never pass for DSL :(

No I don't have a DACs box.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Ok so Esat automatically cancelled the order and never informed me, because apparently did do another line test on the day of your order and any lines that fail they cancel the orders.

Eircom say they can't request another engineers test on the line as they don't do that (shakes head) but the line will be automatically retested in 4 to 6 weeks.

But if I'm interested in flatrate or satelite services they'd be more than happy to help.

I feel so lucky.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Did you put any phones with an lcd display, or sky digiboxes or any other junk onto the line when you moved in? They can cause a big drop in the voltage crossing the line which can cause it to register as failing when it shouldn't really. For best results you should have a single generic phone (like eircom give you, the cheap and nasty ones) put into the master socket. Everything else should be unplugged, including the rest of the internal wiring if that's possible. You need to leave everything like that for possibly up to 6 weeks after, so that an updated line test is run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Would not having a free port at the exchange make a line fail a test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

No.

Advertisement