Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney hands in transfer request.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I was listening to talkspot earlier and Bill Kenwright was on the radio - an un-named third bid has come in for Wayne Rooney, I reckon its a foreign club as Mourinho doesn't want him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

it couldnt be the pool?.....could it?.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Raul, Ronaldo, Morientes, Owen

Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Crespo, Tomasson.

are the best strike forces in the world

Del Piero, Di Vaio, Trezeguet, Miccoli

I don't think are as good as either Man Utd's or Arsenals.
    I think Man Utd might have a better strike force than Arsenal when both at full strength.

Van Nist - Rooney/Saha/Smith
    Giggs - Scholes - Ronaldo

vs.

Henry - Berkjamp/Reyes/Van Persie
    Lnunberg - Viera - Pires

I think United's is slightly better, but I'd like all of them please :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I was listening to talkspot earlier and Bill Kenwright was on the radio - an un-named third bid has come in for Wayne Rooney
    Funny, I had that feeling listening to Fergie's Prem+ post match interview today. He was talking about the options open to Rooney and said something like: "I hope he comes to Manchester United and does not go... elsewhere". I thought it strange at the time that he didn't mention Newcastle by name.
    t couldnt be the pool?.....could it?.........
    I really don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

maybe, but di Vaoi is at valencia ( i think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm could be Real buying Michael Owen a pet or something :D

Seriously Rooney is great now but I can see him flying off the rails by his early twenties. The nearest comparison to him would be Michael Owen who came onto the international scene at 17 as well but he was a far more mature young man than Rooney. I think that paying £20mill Stg for him is a serious gamble for any club. Again he is not what either United or Newcastle need at this moment.

Possibly Real with a swap deal?

Real with a swap deal?
    What striker from Real would go to Everton?

I would guess at the obvious guess of?
    Chelsea :D
    they can offer more money and its the best case scenario for Everton.
    Either he goes to Chelsea for about 30-40-50 million
    Or he says I won't go to chelsea, and he stays at everton :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote:
    Van Nist - Rooney/Saha/Smith
    Giggs - Scholes - Ronaldo

vs.

Henry - Berkjamp/Reyes/Van Persie
    Lnunberg - Viera - Pires

I think United's is slightly better, but I'd like all of them please :D

Sorry but the second one is more proven and just better full stop.. Henry is better than Ruud, i.e. scores the same and provides more assists. Bergkamp is a legend, Reyes is better than Rooney IMO. The midfield are also better with the United midfield being one of the weakest between the top 5/6 clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

maybe, but di Vaoi is at valencia ( i think)

correct .
    A good striker but I don't think he will ever live up to his talent .

hahaha, thats great.
    United midfield being the weakest betewen the top 5/6 clubs?
    The only reason its weak atm is because of injury problems, once everyone is back its Giggs - Keane - Scholes - Ronaldo
    I would say that Arsenal have a better midfield, maybe an arguement for Chelsea, but the other top 4? Silly

Bergkamp is indeed a legend.
    I will always think Van Nist is a better striker than Henry, just because I will always count on Van Nist to score and he preforms no matter what defence he is againist, which I think Henry doesn't do.
    Reyes better than Rooney, hmm maybe he will be, but he isn't anywhere near his best yet.
    I definally don't think hes better than Saha

I just think the top two of Van Nist and Saha vs. Henry and Berkjamp United come out ahead, but obviously it won;t be settled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

PHB how can anyone think that Van Nistelrooy is better than Henry?

If you look at any of the Arsenal games Henry is central to just about everything that happens in the top half of the pitch. He creates his chances and creates chances for everyone else around him.

Van Nistelrooy stands around waiting for someone to feed him.

Now granted, he doesn't need much to score a goal and can slide home goals from outrageous places and gets himself into great positions, but he sure as hell can't do it by himself. Very talented goal scorer but not half the team player, and hence addition to the team that Henry is.

And Reyes is looking better and better of late. Sorry but the Arsenal mid and attack are head and shoulders above Man Utd. I mean every time I see them play now I can't see how any team can beat them. They look even better than last year.

Just hope Mourinho can get our Chelsea side up to scratch before 12th Dec. :D

This is Arsenals form so far this season:

Norwich (0)1 - 4(3) Arsenal
    Jose Antonio Reyes
    Thierry Henry
    Robert Pires
    Dennis Bergkamp

Arsenal (0)3 - 0(0) Blackburn
    Thierry Henry
    Francesc Fabregas
    Jose Antonio Reyes

Arsenal (1)5 - 3(1) Middlesbrough
    Thierry Henry
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Jose Antonio Reyes
    Robert Pires
    Thierry Henry

Everton (0)1 - 4(2) Arsenal
    Dennis Bergkamp
    Jose Antonio Reyes
    Fredrik Ljungberg
    Robert Pires

Arsenal (0)3 - 1(0) Man Utd
    Gilberto Silva
    Jose Antonio Reyes
    Mikael Silvestre og

So in 5 games this seasons, Arsenal have scored 19 goals:

Reyes - 5
    Henry - 4
    Bergkamp - 3
    Pires - 3
    Ljunberg - 1
    Fabregas - 1
    Gilberto - 1

That is with Arsenal missing the best central midfielder in the country and the best or second best central defender in the country.. The assists are not even included here..

Reyes is looking like the real deal.. It took him some time to settle but has been amazing in every game.. Henry looks like he is not even trying and has been incredibly unselfish in setting up alot of goals for other team members.. Bergkamp is having one of his best seasons ever so far..

Smith for United is looking the business though. Saha is decent enough player but has only had one real good season. Ruud is a goal scorer and one of the best.. Without Smith the United attack would depend on the midfield to provide them with goal scoring chances. This is not good as Uniteds midfield is very poor compared to previous championship winning seasons.. Back in the day Giggs, Schole, Keane and Beckham were by far the best in the PL, there was very little who could stand up to them.. Now the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea have quality players of which United could only wish to have.. They also have incredibly tight defences.

I do agree that with Rooney, United would have an incredible forward line but it would be by far their strongest area on the pitch... Chelsea and Arsenal have the same level of quality throughout every position, United to do not anymore and Rooney will not address this.

Just look at Arsenal's results, when have you seen any team in England string results like this. Lets not forget the records they hold also.. United just do not touch them anymore..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Actually there is no point in comparing Henry and Van Horseface (sorry can't spell his real surname :p). Henry is the perfect forward but has a weakness with headers (ok so he scored today) and tap-ins. Van Divesalot is the perfect poacher and normally scores from the 6 yard box and is the best in the Premiership at that.

PHB I would count Giggs and Keane as weaklinks at the moment. Last season I thought Giggs was blowing hot and cold too much and Keane looks like he is picking up injuries at an ever increasing rate. If Djemba Djemba keeps improving things could be ok but you are seriously lacking cover there at the moment. As I said before you do not lack cover up front imho with 3 international class strikers.

• Advertisement

In regards to Nistelrooy , I don't beleive he has scored a single goal from outside the box(in Competitive games anyway) , now that has to be a weakness .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I will always think Van Nist is a better striker than Henry, just because I will always count on Van Nist to score and he preforms no matter what defence he is againist, which I think Henry doesn't do.

Think what you want but that is wrong. Henry scores just as much but better goals, creates far more, and in general can win games on his own. RVN needs things put in front of him (but yes rarely misses). Great player but not nearly in the same class as Henry.

Thierry Henry

League - 115 goals in 176 games
    FA Cup - 6 in 20
    League Cup - 1 in 2
    Europe - 32 in 61

Ruud

League - 68 goals in 98 games
    FA Cup - 12 in 9
    League Cup - 1 in 4
    Europe - 29 in 34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This really is a silly argument, on paper RVN is the better stiker but Henry is the more talented player. I prefer RVN anyway because he doesnt put on this stupid serious face when he scores and gets all his players to hug him whilst hes screaming into the sky, ala Cantona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I believe Rooney will be a United player before tommorrow evening. But for his broken foot he would have been one already and I think Everton and United have had a verbal agreement for quite a few months now. Thats just my gut felling from reading various articles on the state of play in the Rooney tranfer saga maybe I'm wrong but we'll know pretty soon one way or teh other.

Btw I don't think united are weaker in defence than the other teams around them. They have been weakened through suspension and injury, those players will be back soon and when united fields its strongest defence it will be as good as any other. Where they do fall down is when the first choice defenders are missing they do not have the quality in squad to adequetly replace them in players like Fortune and Phil Neville .

Midfield is a problem and the arrival of Rooney may help in this postion in that Rooney plays well in the hole behind teh striker where Scholes plays at the moment. With Rooney in the team Scholes can move back to the centre of midfield where he plays best.

United played well yeaterday and looked more like the United of old.They created lots of chances and but for an inspired Brad Freidel they would have easily won the game .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Rooney 'disappointed' by Everton
    29/08/2004 - 10:08:29

Want-away Everton striker Wayne Rooney has criticised the club’s handling of his transfer request.

Manchester United and Newcastle want to sign 18-year-old England star Rooney before Tuesday's transfer deadline.

United made a second bid for Rooney last night. Details were not released but according to Everton it bettered Newcastle’s second bid, which is believed to have been £23.5m (€35m).

Rooney handed in a transfer request on Friday, and Everton fans turned against him after the 2-1 win over West Brom at Goodison Park yesterday.

Abusive chants against Rooney boomed out around the stadium.

“I am absolutely gutted at what is happening here,” said Rooney. “It is clear that it’s time for me to leave Everton.

“I am disappointed at some of the things that have been said by Everton, especially considering that I know the truth.

“All clubs sell players, even Manchester United and Arsenal.”

Everton manager David Moyes made it clear on Friday that Rooney would not leave before the transfer deadline unless the club receive an offer that meets his valuation of the player.

“He feels he will be better to move on, but if we do not get the fee we want then we will stop him leaving before the deadline,” said Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Henry scores just as much but better goals

yeah his and arsenals ability to score only 'better goals' costs them dearly particularly in europe where they try and walk the ball through watertight defences.

plus 1 goal is no better than another, you dont get extra points for a 40yard screamer.

smemon wrote:
    yeah his and arsenals ability to score only 'better goals' costs them dearly particularly in europe where they try and walk the ball through watertight defences.

plus 1 goal is no better than another, you dont get extra points for a 40yard screamer.

No some goals are better than others, but I never said the got you more points for them. The fact that he scores just as frequently but can score left foot, right foot, 3 yards or 30 yards shows he is a better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

smemon wrote:

Yeah, the ability to be able to score long-range goals is useless. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Tellox wrote:
    Yeah, the ability to be able to score long-range goals is useless. :rolleyes:

it is if you have no trophies to show for it.

RasTa wrote:
    This really is a silly argument, on paper RVN is the better stiker but Henry is the more talented player. I prefer RVN anyway because he doesnt put on this stupid serious face when he scores and gets all his players to hug him whilst hes screaming into the sky, ala Cantona

RVN is a better goalscorer on paper , but a worse player overall .
    Henry makes much more assists , and strts more attacks than Nistelrooy .
    Having said that Ruud , is a top class striker and very few , if any teams have 2 strikers better than him.......basically he could get into any team .

smemon wrote:

Goal of the month/goal of the season , is that a good enough trophy for ya ;) .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

smemon wrote:
    it remains to be seen if RVN's ability to score tap-ins will get him many trophies also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The latest bid by Man U has been rejected.

For crying out loud why won't someone buy Paulo Cannavaro to sort out they're defencive problems .
    Now joining Juve, Big Ears.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Shamrok wrote:
    Now joining Juve, Big Ears.
    no, thats fabio cannavaro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Why does every thread concerning Utd and Arsenal go into a RvN V Henry contest! this has been discussed about 30 times in differnet thread!! both strikers have there strong points and there weaknesses! end of story!

Anyway on Rooney he has to go now after the Everton fans on Sat!! usually chat!! "Stand up if you hate Rooney!" everyone stand up! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Why does every thread concerning Utd and Arsenal go into a RvN V Henry contest! this has been discussed about 30 times in differnet thread!! both strikers have there strong points and there weaknesses! end of story!
    :

Yeah I though we had seen the last of that Off Topic nonsense here but obviously not.

I wouldn't expect any announcement on Roonys future(if any is to be made) until after the Everton United game which kicks off at lunchtime today.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

smemon wrote:
    and in the same game he blocked drogba 1 on 1 which people forget. shessh, nobodys perfect, i think we'll allow him the odd mistake. he's no fabien barthez or massimo taibi.

even the great dane himself was prone to the odd error.
    Very true. But 3 goal conceding errors in 3 games this season is not good enough imho

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

No some goals are better than others, but I never said the got you more points for them. The fact that he scores just as frequently but can score left foot, right foot, 3 yards or 30 yards shows he is a better player.
    But he can't score with his head and Ruud can - does that show that Ruud is better? To be honest I think this argument is pretty pointless. You can make arguments for both. Ruud scores an incredible amount of goals, from all angles. He doesn't score from outside the box but I (and I don't think any other Utd fan) would swap him for any other striker in the world. Just as gooners wouldn't swap Henry for any other. And I'm guessing most Utd fans, just like me, would love to see Henry (much as I hate the pouting git) in Utds team. Why? Because he's top class. Henry and Ruud up front for any team would be the complete pairing imho. Henry moves out to the wings, and scores crackers from anywhere - both screamers and those where he runs through defences. Ruud pounces on anything in teh box, and is adept at holding the ball up. The two of them together would frighten the bejesus out of any defence!

But he can't score with his head and Ruud can - does that show that Ruud is better?

Yes Im trying to think of the last time he scored with his head...........

I think it is safe to say at this stage that there wont be any news on the Rooney transfer until after the game today. It wouldnt exactly be a good move by Everton to sell him to United just before they play them.

Advertisement