Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monopoly money.

• 27-08-2004 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

To my embarrassment, I've just been caught trying to pass counterfeit currency (without my knowledge) at my local Gala store, a very well done 20, and I suspect the 10 in my wallet is also a dud, though I'm not sure as the shop assistant didn't check it and I don't have another to check it against. The 20 feels very close to the original, and has had some work done on it to make it look convincingly worn, the only giveaway, and something I noticed as I handed it over, was that the hologram foil stripe is flaking off. Otherwise, the watermark is there, though it seems to be slightly crude on close inspection (I don't have another 20 to compare it to at the moment), as is the security stripe, visible when held up to the light. The iridescent stripe on the back is not convincing, but well good enough to stand up to a cursory inspection.

I'm pretty sure I got both notes in my change from Tescos, but cannot be sure about this, but am not best pleased that I've been done out of 30 quid. Shop assistants have the benefits of ultra-violet checking, etc., how does Joe Customer check that he isn't getting dud notes back in his change, without minutely examining each note? This would have to be done at the moment of receipt, as if you walked away only to return, there would surely be accusations made of switching the dud notes for the real ones received.

I'm strongly considering making a few attempts at getting rid of these two at some backwoods petrol station or something.

Be aware that there are very good replicas out there people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

My dad had two 20's as well which he managed to get rid of. You really should try and get rid of them otherwise you will be down the money and there's nobody going to do anything about it even if you report it.

The only way of guarding against them is to inspect every note when you get it. It the shops do it when you give them notes then it's only reasonable the other way round too. You can also buy a little ultraviolet light thingee if you really want to as well. Me I wouldn't bother so much checking them as it's always possible to offload them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i think at least they used to... that a bank will replace a forged note for you with a real one. But they will only do it for a small ammount and only once, incase you are printing your own money.

i know i returned a few dud 10pound notes years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hey if you went into say Burger King where they have uv lights in the loos could you check it there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

If you want to check your notes when you are getting your change ... rub the note on the receipt and you should see a bit of ink rub off (The ink they use never dries aparantly) and I don't think this is the case if it is fake (although I could be wrong!)

~L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can buy a special type of pen which you write on the note - it shows up a colour if the note is fake.

Don't try and pass it off to someone else, you're only propagating the fraud, and are liable for some serious ****, particularly now that you know it's fake. It's not a lot of money. Absorb the cost, curse the scum and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

They dont have uv lights in my local Burger Kings toilets :( . I feel left out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

seamus wrote:
    You can buy a special type of pen which you write on the note - it shows up a colour if the note is fake.

Don't try and pass it off to someone else, you're only propagating the fraud, and are liable for some serious ****, particularly now that you know it's fake. It's not a lot of money. Absorb the cost, curse the scum and move on.
    That's all very well if this is a once off, but a lot of people are getting these fake notes. Imo if shops/bars/whetever (think about where you get notes from) continue to put them back in circulation then why should an ordinary Joe have to absorb the cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Imposter wrote:
    That's all very well if this is a once off, but a lot of people are getting these fake notes. Imo if shops/bars/whetever (think about where you get notes from) continue to put them back in circulation then why should an ordinary Joe have to absorb the cost?
    If ordinary Joes keep these in circulation, why should a shop/bar/whatever have to absorb the cost?

Most shops if they detect a fake note, will not accept it as tender. If one party is aware the note is fake, it's their duty to dispose of it, not pass it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 VenusDiablo

Sorry to say you cant trust the banks either. I went to the ATM one night before i went into the pub. i requested 100 euro and it gave it to me mainly in 5 euro notes. it was the first and only time i ever got 5 euro notes from one of thos bank machines btw.
    when i was buying the first round i took out a 3 of the 5 euro notes and two of the notes turned out to be fake. i couldnt understand it cause i had just got them fresh from the ATM. i dont know how this happened, i was under the assumption that the bank had some thing in place to protect against this.

so be warned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think strictly speaking if a cashier in a shop notices a fake note they are supposed to retain it and give it to the gardaí - but this tends to piss off the (innocent) customers who just want their 20 quids worth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

seamus wrote:

Buy drugs with it, that way you're eh, clearing the street of some of that filth and not giving any profit to the dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

seamus wrote:
    They're rubbish.
    I spent a long bored night shift in a petrol station testing all kinds of paper with one of those pens, post-its, newspapers, envelopes etc. About 50% don't show a mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Buy drugs with it, that way you're eh, clearing the street of some of that filth and not giving any profit to the dealers.
    Pass off forgeries on drug dealers... yeah, smart advice that is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

As time goes on and more five euro notes go through the wash, I'm finding that more often the teller will refuse to take a tattered note from me. So now I always refuse to take a tattered note in my change, which annoys the teller to no end. But I think I am well with in my rights to refuse change if I think it's dodgy and may not be accepted elsewhere.

The other night at about 4am this happened, the girl tried to give me a tattered fiver, so I refused it and she refused to give me anything else. It took 10 minutes to find the supervisor and another argument with her to persuade her to give me another note. Not good enough, as there is no way Tesco would have taken the note from me if I had tried to pay with it. Especially in those new auto-tills they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i have got a few dodgt tenners most from taxi drivers as change when i was pissed, if you drive in dublin the best thing to do is to "exchange" them at the toll bridge :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I got a near perfect €10 note last weekend. Hologram, metal strip, reflective strip, water mark, UV. The two sided printing wasn't perfect (but checking since, not all of them are). Paper was slightly transparent and greasy. It wasn't until I was about to give it to someone that I noticed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

think hes talking bout that UV light in BK grafton street.. god damn it.. Forgeries to dealers.. liking it.

Advertisement