Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booker Long List announced

Options
  • 27-08-2004 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Described by a Financial Times literary critic, during a review of Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections, as 'only the Commonwealth Games of Fiction', the booker longlist was released yesterday:

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Purple Hibiscus
    Nadeem Aslam Maps for Lost Lovers
    Nicola Barker Clear: A Transparent Novel
    John Bemrose The Island Walkers
    Ronan Bennett Havoc, in its Third Year
    Susanna Clarke Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
    Neil Cross Always the Sun
    Achmat Dangor Bitter Fruit
    Louise Dean Becoming Strangers
    Lewis Desoto A Blade of Grass
    Sarah Hall The Electric Michelangelo
    James Hamilton Paterson Cooking with Fernet Branca
    Justin Haythe The Honeymoon
    Shirley Hazzard The Great Fire
    Alan Hollinghurst The Line of Beauty
    Gail Jones Sixty Lights
    David Mitchell Cloud Atlas
    Sam North The Unnumbered
    Nicholas Shakespeare Snowleg
    Matt Thorne Cherry
    Colm Tóibín The Master
    Gerard Woodward I'll go to Bed at Noon

The only one I've read from the list is Cloud Atlas, which I found a huge disappointment compared to Ghostwritten and Number9dream, which made 2001's shortlist. While there were still flashes of brilliance, the novel seemed to be padding to flesh out an overly stylistic and unimpressive structure ('russian dolls pierced through the navel') and I found it on the whole boring and self-indulgent. Despite mixed reviews and the general concensus being that it is highly over-rated, William Hill have it as clear favorite with 3-1 odds, which dosen't inspire me to get the rest of listed works!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've never even heard of one of them let alone read one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

never heard of any of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

WTF?? Looks like a bunch of arty crap - seems like the list was made by ppl who think Ulysses is a great work :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

WTF?? Looks like a bunch of arty crap - seems like the list was made by ppl who think Ulysses is a great work :rolleyes:

Are you judging them just by their titles? If you haven't heard of them how can you tell if they're arty crap or not? Half of them may be bog-standard blockbusters in the DaVinci Code vein.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Half of them may be bog-standard blockbusters in the DaVinci Code vein.
    Then I would have heard of them First book in the list, quote from that review
    Janus, a gifted pianist whose temperament now makes it virtually impossible for him to hold down even the most menial of jobs
    "gifted pianist", sounds just like a Tom Clancy novel :rolleyes: Second book and a quote from that:
    The book is a fictionalized study, based on many biographical materials and family accounts, of the novelist's interior life from the moment in London in 1895 when James's hope to succeed in the theater rather than on the printed page was eclipsed by the towering success of his younger contemporary Oscar Wilde.
    Ummm no doubt a holywood blockbuster staring some hunk will be made of that riveting story. The third book.....is being published in Sept (why it's in the long list I can't tell maybe it's cause he's so cutting edge )
    Not so much a failure of memory, but rather a failure of utopianism
    YES low brow reading there no doubt! I'll leave the rest as an exercise to the interested reader, if there are any left.

• Advertisement

I don't hold the Booker in much regard, didn't that Vernon God Little book win last year? Vernon God Awful more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

John2 wrote:
    I don't hold the Booker in much regard, didn't that Vernon God Little book win last year? Vernon God Awful more like.

OBJECTION!

sustained.

I thought it was an interesting and humourous book. Granted, satirising Texan 'culture' isn't all that hard, but at least it was done in a suitably zany manner.

If Mitchell does indeed win as the bookies are predicting, that will be two years in succession that the booker winner has been a non-Irish writer resident in Ireland, 'DBC Pierre' (I forget his real name) lives in Leitrim somewhere as far as I remember and Mitchell now lives in Clonakilty.

I thought there was absolutely nothing special or interesting about VGL and I tried so hard to like it, it seemed like the sort of book I should love but there was nothing in it.

Advertisement