Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim Cards

Options
  • 27-08-2004 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to know is it possible to have two sims for the same number for a reason such as
    example:

Im in kerry and my brother is in Derry.
    I expect calls in the morning to 086999999 so i plug my sim into my phone. At lunch time i take it out.
    My brother expects calls in the afternoon to 086999999 so he plugs in his sim into his phone.

Is this possible? or can there only be one sim for any one number on a network??

Tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

Hi I work for Vodafone so I should be able to help a little bit.

This is not possible unfortunatly, you see the phone number that you have is assigned to a SIM CARD number and no two sim card numbers are the same. Your caught between a rock and a hard place i'd reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭okonski

If you work for Vodafone, you'll know the company trialled (then adopted) a service called 'Multi-SIM' that allowed up to 4 SIM identities to share the same mobile number. Users had to nominate which would be the default handset, but the real downside was the each SIM still carried a fee as outgoing calls could be made on all of them if required!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

Quite Correct, However Vodafone have CEASED "Multi-Sim" connections as if two phones at the one time were activated neither could get a call. They believed this was not a viable option to have on the offer and so disabled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭okonski

Two phones could never be active at the one time, (only the 'nominated' handset, by SMS), so only one handset was ever 'live' for inbound calls. Of course, both could make outbound calls at the same time without difficulty. I'm not aware of the service being 'disabled' just not marketed and as the facility is on the network if you want it you can still get it. (But, services like GPRS and 3G which were not planned when MultiSim launched kinda left it behind!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I am fairly sure the trials failed and it was never offered. It certainly is not possible on the VF network at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 90s

Does anyone know what type of card the operators use here i.e COMP128v1 or COMP128v2?? or how you can tell as im thinking of buying one of these multi sim cards
    Thanks

Advertisement