Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinXP logo...

Options
  • 27-08-2004 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    It doesn't really bother me at all, but I've noticed for both Home and Professional Editions the startup screen just says "Windows XP" now. Doesn't tell me what version it is. (The blue/green colour bar is still there)

Anyone else notice it? That meant to happen? Any reason that Microsoft did this?

Thanks
    ambrose :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Yup - that's the way it's supposed to be.
    It's a marketing/branding thing...i've no idea why the SKU name isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Does that mean Microsoft are heading towards merging a Home/Business version, for longhorn?

ambrose :cool:

Although the Windows codaneme "Longhorn" plans are still being worked on, there will still be the equilivent to Home & Professional versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ahhh

Thanks Colm :)

I suppose, the best way to think about these things is that a casual/home/novice user's requirements versus a developer/power user/Corporate IT infrastructure's requirements are very different.

The core functionality is the same, but when it comes to interchangable components, the 2 groups differ a lot.

That's why there are 2 different client versions - aimed at these 2 very different markets. The move from Win 9x to the Windows 2000 codebase for Windows XP Home edition was a huge technical strp forward, and it makes it much easier to develop tools & drivers that will work on both the high end users' desktops and the more humble home users' desktops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement