Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sir Mark Thatcher in deep doo doo

Options
  • 27-08-2004 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

What is the punishment for trying to overthrow a sovereign, if unpleasant, government, by force of arms and the hire of a gang of ruthless mercenaries?

I can remember a former Prime Minister of the UK who was particularly strident on the subject of 'terrorists' who refused to follow 'the rule of law' and had no qualms about dealing with them in the strongest possible terms.

Mind you the same former prime minister was also closely identified with the hated Poll Tax, which her daughter 'forgot' to pay and for which infraction she was hauled before the beak, much to the delight of Fleet Street.

I blame the parents myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I blame the parents myself.

I would'nt blame even Maggie and Den for the idiot that is thier son.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

In an ideal world, you'd hope that the current government of Equidorial Guinea take the same line on 'Anti Government activity' as Gen Pinochet did.

Wonder how the old harridan would feel about that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

That's all over the news here in South Africa at the moment.
    Evidentally the flight originated in America. Does anyone have any links about possible American involvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

They called him "Thickie Mork" at Harrow. AFAIK he was called by a number of less-generous nicknames in the place as well.

I wouldn't blame Mag and Den too much but a quick look here might indicate that they're not totally blameless for their son's ineptitude (as a bonus there's a comparison with Dubya's parents)

Is it true he was arrested in his pajamas?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

What is the punishment for trying to overthrow a sovereign, if unpleasant, government, by force of arms and the hire of a gang of ruthless mercenaries?

None in the case of the US in Iraq

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

jeffry archer might have bank rolled it too... it so strange the who was supposed to be couped upon (is that a verb?) couped his own uncle who was a despot and now he is a despot (still)...

he had sold his house and enlisted his children in an american school...

whats that filming the fying geese or something with roger moore, twas on rte a while back very good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

jeffry archer might have bank rolled it too...

GAH - don't mention him on a friday, and put me in bad form for the weekend...jesus, i hate him. When i left London, among my prized belongings was the Evening Standard with the front page story of him pulling out of the London Mayor race...
    whats that filming the fying geese or something with roger moore, twas on rte a while back very good film.

Wild Geese. Where Rog forces that bloke to ingest bags'n'bags of coke...

aye, and he STILL did that feckin eyebrow wiggle thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

chewy wrote:

The Wild Geese.

Some history http://politics.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,9174,1290430,00.html

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,9174,1290430,00.html

http://www.channel4.com/news/2004/08/week_4/25_thatcher1.html

His only problem is that he was'nt born in the late 18th/early 19th century!
    He'd have fitted right in with the spirit of those times ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Wild Geese. Where Rog forces that bloke to ingest bags'n'bags of coke...

aye, and he STILL did that feckin eyebrow wiggle thing...

Some great quotes in that movie. Most from the drill sergeant:

like before a training session:

'Most of you know me. Those that don't are in for one **** of a surprise'

'That was pathetic sir. You are jumping from an airplane, not a whorehouse window'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Funniest story in ages. Shoes nicked and all. Come on BBC, get the mammy on telly and give us a laugh.
    It is almost as offensive as referring to this country as "The Republic of Ireland". It is Ireland and bears no other name bar the name in Irish.
    You are wrong.

• Advertisement

chewy wrote:
    he had sold his house and enlisted his children in an american school...

In me hometown no less (well actually I'm from Fort Worth)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

Does anyone have any links about possible American involvement?
    Why always go after America ah well
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-1237744,00.html

Because I have a healthy distrust of my government and I'm interested in the possible involvement in yet another aggressive coup in another country.
    Being that the mercenaries started off in America...it's possible there is American involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

doesn't the whole thing seem far to amateurish for (a) any american involvement (b) anyone with a functioning brain ?

fly a plane to Zimbabwe, not exactly the country that's likely to welcome armed white chaps from the SAS wandering around given Mugabe's paranoia, without any guns, hoping to pick them up there. Instead everyone gets nicked at the airport, Executive Outcomes don't usually operate like this , I suspect the whole thing was a set up.

No matter how dumb Sir Jr. BattleB1tch is , I doubt he'd rent a helicopter for a coup in his own name or in any way that could be traced back to him, for one no one involved would allow such a lapse in security.

The whole thing smells rotten , there must be more here than the media know.
    (conspiratorial whispers etc.)

Advertisement