Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp duty clawback

Options
  • 27-08-2004 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭

anyone who has bought a house from new and subsequently sold it may be able to answer my question

if you sell a new house less than 5 years after moving in, do you have to pay back some of the stamp duty you were exempted from when you bought the place? I've been in my house for 2 years now and am thinking of moving - I had assumed I would have to pay back 60% of the exempted stamp duty (for the 3 out of 5 years I won't be there) but having looked at myhome.ie and oasis.gov.ie they suggest this only applies if you rent the house out during the first 5 years

anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

loyatemu wrote:
    if you sell a new house less than 5 years after moving in, do you have to pay back some of the stamp duty you were exempted from when you bought the place? anyone know?

Are you trading up?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm lost here. What is the basis of the exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

no. you got exemption when you bought the first house on the basis of being a first time buyer (I presume). If you sell it on, you don't pay backdated stamp duty on the original purchase.

You would have to pay stamp duty if you *rent out* the house within 5 years of purchase.

Advertisement