Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nominate a President

Options
  • 27-08-2004 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

so while waiting for omnicorp to be banned :)

i thought they said they were going to have elections in november for this is that still on

so afaik mcaleese and dana? are the only two up for it at the mo

i woudn't mind higgins , hes a bit of an eejit but as politicians go he stands afaik he stands up for what he believes in (as politicians go i must repeat myself)

what did mcaleese do again before being president? a lawyer?

i felt she jsut got in cos everyone knew another woman would definitly win... ps what do presidents do again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Mary McAleese again. Dana is not right for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Mc Aleese was a professor at QUB but i think dick spring should join in the race for president

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Sonia O' Sullivan! sure wouldnt she run away with the polls? (sry ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Michael D Higgins would be an excellent President of Ireland. I would love to see him have a crack at the election, I would be surprised if he won but if he did I think he would represent this country with honour and intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

David Norris. We need a Joycean for president.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Michael D. Higgins is a man of high principal, i am particularily impressed by his involvment in civil and human rights issues, he would get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭omnicorp

Jeremy Dixon!
    The President of Ireland doesn't do anything anyway, would it make a difference?
    He's funny, he's got charisma, he can handle the media and people like Adrian Kennedy.
    He's tough on rule-breakers and speaks his mind, could there be a better president?

for more on Jeremy Dixon for president, go to www.freewebs.com/omnicorp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

chewy wrote:
    so while waiting for omnicorp to be banned :)
    what do presidents do again?

they pass laws , and are general ambassador's to other countries .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

earwicker wrote:
    David Norris. We need a Joycean for president.
    I would agree with this but not just for his Joycean input. He did a lot of other stuff - (please just don't query this or I'll start on rant about the certain type of gardai that were around way back).
    (Christ I have to admit this is sad that I feel the need to say this but I'm not gay :o - only confident (deservedly so) no-one can work out what I'm about hell I just got here - as has helpfully been pointed out already)

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    they pass laws , and are general ambassador's to other countries .

The Law passing's a ceremony.

If you want them to be an ambassador, get an ambassador.

I don't think we can make light of the office. Yes, the President does not have much official power, but they do represent this country at home and abroad. Mary Robinson and Mary McAleese have used the Presidency very well, rather than just sitting back for 7 years in the Áras, doing their occasional diplomatic and legal responsibilities. They have both gone out and created a pro-active Presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

earwicker wrote:
    David Norris.
    Hell yes. Gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

When he was mentioned as a posible contender last time out I did think that he could be a good candidate. I would not be so sure now, given the job Mary McAleese has done and the way that she and her predecessor have changed the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

omnicorp wrote:
    The Law passing's a ceremony.

If you want them to be an ambassador, get an ambassador.

I was just stating what they do , and they are like a general ambassador .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

Mary McAleese. I am doubtful that Michael D.Higgins would be able to resist the temptation to use the Presidency as a platform for criticising the US. While I may agree with some of those criticisms, sometimes it is better to keep the bheal shut, having regard to vital economic-interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

sometimes it is better to keep the bheal shut
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Though admittedly, I'd not have been saying it to Michael D. Higgins...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Michael D. Higgins.........not really.

Mary McAleese will easily win. She has done a fine job.

But I think Albert Reynolds would be the best alternative.

He would not get a massive vote amonsgst those who were shocked at the use of the CRAP! word but if you are to person a guy of achievement - he would be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Oh my God - I'm going to have to agree with arcade-game! :eek:

I'm a labour member, but don't think Michael D would make a good president. Fabulous thinker and idealist, but too esoteric and too fond of straying off into areas that presidents can't go.

Even though I didn't vote for her I think MacAleese is doing a pretty good job and should stay on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Dick Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

But I think Albert Reynolds would be the best alternative.

You can't be serious?

Why would we want that guy, I'd almost prefer bloody Dana!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

chewy wrote:
    ps what do presidents do again?
    The president is there to make sure all the laws are constitutional. Thus having a lawyer in the Áras isn't a bad idea. That and the ambassador stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

BuffyBot wrote:
    You can't be serious?

Why would we want that guy, I'd almost prefer bloody Dana!
    Mmm, who the fu... oh it's Cork.

I wouldn't send Albert to the shop for milk myself. Might vote for him over Dana if there was no-one else in the race though as he's only a gombeen man whereas she's a professional plonker. I couldn't care less if we could save a few quid by having her sing the national anthem at State occasions.

Well, how about instead of wasting our time electing a powerless figurehead,
    We give power to the county councils who just can't run or fund their counties.
    It would work better than decentralisation.

Advertisement