Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Diver

Options
  • 27-08-2004 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

My son, 10, keeps asking me when I am going to bring him diving. Is he too young? Has anybody's kids learned to dive and at what age?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

PADI Junior Open water minimum requirements are 10years old.

Minimum requirements are here .

I am sure some centres around ireland provide the course so take a look at the stickies for web pages etc and check it out. One thing i would say is that some kids might not be ready to take on cold water diving at 10 years old. Lots of equipment and low vis etc etc... i've seen a junior open water panick and end of screaming for help at the surface. Something like that could turn a child of the sport for life. Probably warm water might be a good way to get them introduced.

This ofcourse varies on the individual.... your local padi instructor should be able to give you a better spiel than i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

Thanks Peace, I am bringing him up to Glenalbyn on Weds night, Oceandivers discover scuba night. I hope he likes it. Good point about the cold water, something to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Why not bring him for a few snorkels, see how he takes to the open water, good way to see how he'll react.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

bigfeller wrote:
    Why not bring him for a few snorkels, see how he takes to the open water, good way to see how he'll react.

My son does the same to me. He is 5 :eek:

When in Florida this year I took him to Disneys discovery cove where he snorkeled with a variety of Rays and tropical fish in custom made pools. There was also a man made river which you could snorkel around (runs around the whole complex). Since that he is hooked. He has a snorkel and mask which he uses every bath time and whenever we go to the swimming pool. Tis great to get them into the water at a young age.

Advertisement