Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sp2 problem

• 27-08-2004 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

After installing sp2 my pc freezes ever 60 seconds or so for a few seconds it as you can imagine makes using sp2 impossible so i had to role back to sp1

Any idea what the problem is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

We need more info about what's happening...

When does the hang occur? What apps have you open when it happens? What are you doing at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

SP2 IS a problem ;)
    May I refer you to www.LinuxISO.org ...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Zonko wrote:
    SP2 IS a problem ;)

How helpful. If you're a linux fanatic, why not keep out of here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I have no interest in Linux as windows xp is a grand OS and general speaking Microsoft are very decent at supporting people that own there software

Anyway more info

The hanging occurs right away once windows boots to the desktop (give or take 60 seconds) i have no apps open however norton anti virus/firewall Msn messenger ati desktop Lexmark printer control and a few others all auto run once the pc starts up im doing noting with the pc at all when the freezing happens but it effects every thing from using notepad to playing Doom 3

PC
    2600 athlon xp
    512 Meg of ram
    Gigabyte motherboard *i can’t remember the fecking name*
    9800 pro 4,8 drivers
    80 gig hard drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

zonko = troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'm also having lockup problems. mine occur as soon as the wallpaper appears, before the taskbar and desktop icons have loaded.
    about 2-4 minutes of little to no disk activity (the hd activity led might flash every 20 seconds) and then windows proceeds to boot up perfectly.
    i've had no problems whatsoever with stability or any crashes whatsoever... it just takes a ****ing age to boot up :confused:

winxp pro with a slipstreamed sp2 (problem occured before i made the slipstream disc)
    athlon 2500+
    768mb ram (ran 3 different burnin tests on this yesterday. no errors)
    radeon 9600 with cat 4.7's
    160gb wd caviar drive
    abit nf7 v2.0

i tried running bootvis, but the damn thing just locked my computer up on the loading screen. i had to go back to a last known good config

/edit
    sorry about the thread hiijack :D

Can you try disabling the Norton AV service and reboot to see if the hang still occurs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Can you try disabling the Norton AV service and reboot to see if the hang still occurs?

Ahh, Norton, the root of all evil. Colm's suggestion is a good one. I had to un-phuck a co-worker's PC yesterday. On top of her being an insecure net user (217 items of spy/adware and 41 virii) she had Norton running. It hijacked her PC after she installed SP2. Norton was broken somehow by SP2 (Internet Securities 2004 package), wouldn't let me disable its components and wouldn't let me remove it. In the end I had to boot with my PE disc to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think Norton/Symantec have a patch out for proper SP2 support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Zonko wrote:
    SP2 IS a problem ;)

I think Stephen's signature says whats on my mind :D

• Advertisement

Any chance of a link to this patch i cant find it and their website flatly denies any problem between Norton and system pack 2.....As for disabling it that just wouldn’t be on i use the net far to much to have my pc un protected

btw i have internet securty/norton anti virus i got free from IOL sorry got them mixed up

From Google, first hit:

Clicky

So try updating through the auto-updater. If all else fails, just uninstall Norton and use something like AVG :D

Auto update doesnt find any patchs fecking norton

time to uninstall me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Fenster wrote:
    From Google, first hit:

Clicky

So try updating through the auto-updater. If all else fails, just uninstall Norton and use something like AVG :D

when u've paid for a decent product like Norton AV why would u want to go with something inferior such as AVG?

so r people still having probs? i was going to intall SP2 but i think i'll hold off now for a bit if there been lots of probs

suppafly wrote:
    when u've paid for a decent product like Norton AV why would u want to go with something inferior such as AVG?

Probably from installing Norton twice and having it fry my machine twice... If it works for you, all power to yeh, for myself, I'll stick with aps like AVG. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

I have just installed SP2 and am running AVG,Norton2004 and just to boot zone alarm and have noticed any problems. But I have constantly kept my Norton & AVG up to date and have no problems what so ever!

May I suggest that you update Norton.

Cheers
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

Sorry I meant that I have not encountered any problems !! (slight miss post)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Zonko wrote:
    SP2 IS a problem ;)

Thats lovely it really is, but not going to fix his problem at all
    If you don't have something productive to add don't post at all,

Many people here do like and use Linux, but Bizmarks question was nothing related to Linux, please read the Windows forum charter

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

bizmark wrote:
    After installing sp2 my pc freezes ever 60 seconds or so for a few seconds it as you can imagine makes using sp2 impossible so i had to role back to sp1

Any idea what the problem is?

I am afraid to load up sp2 I went into one computer shop in town and the guy told to keep away from it at the moment. I have the disc. My computer is working well at the moment and I run Ad-Aware and McAfee Stinger software every few days as well as Norton anti virus, so what should i do?
    Can you uninstall this SP 2 package? I am also afraid it will interfere with smoe necessary pop-up menus i use on some web site ie: Aer Lingus, Paddy Power and my internet banking - any comments Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

You can uninstall it.

I tried installing it twice but it didnt work so i got rid of it (see my other thread for details).

I have an anti virus and a firewall so i think i can afford to take a chance by avoiding SP2 for a month or two. They should have it sorted out by then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Had problems installing it but did the following and installed prefect.....went into Safe mode.....uninstalled Norton...booted in Normal mode...installed SP2......rebooted.....reinstalled Norton.,....no probs so far! all web site works fine.....running Firefox!!

I am also afraid it will interfere with smoe necessary pop-up menus i use on some web site ie: Aer Lingus, Paddy Power and my internet banking

It's very easy to configure exceptions for web istes that you want pop-ups from, so this won't affect your PaddyPower or internet backing.

In all fairness, people who work in most computer shops wouldn't know a PC if it hit them, let alone be able to comment on software issues. Have you been to PC World/Dixons/CompuStore recently and asked a relatively basic technical question!! hehe - Made me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

suppafly wrote:
    when u've paid for a decent product like Norton AV why would u want to go with something inferior such as AVG? ...

Have to disagree with you there. I've lot count of the machines I see with problems with Norton. Whereas AVG just does it job, no hassle at all. A lof of Norton systems I see have been infected with something or another. People think if they buy Norton its better than something that is free. But personally I think Norton is terrible.

I've installed SP2 on two machines. Both seem very slow since the install. I've tweaked it using TuneXP 1.5 and Tweak XP and that has helped a lot. Some people think it works best on a fresh install of XP. I haven't tried that route yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tzmndvl

Well I know for a fact that the lexmark z605 has problems with SP2 the install program for the printer will not run, I had to pull the drivers drirectly out of the drivers folder on the install disk.
    I dont think lexmark has clued into the fact that their software no longer works with this upgrade, their customer support has asked me to remove the software then got me to reinstall the newer version (which still doesnt work)
    If you upgraded to sp2 and still had the lexmark controller software on that might be the issue.

Try uninstalling the software, and add a printer through the add printer wizard.
    Use the drivers on the lexmark CD but dont use the setup, you will get their generic driver without the enhanced features of the controller program, but it will still work.
    Your printer just wont talk to you when it prints, and tell ya when yer ink is getting low.

I would also agree about the norton issue, I dont find it to be that good of an antivirus, it seems to miss alot of things.
    Ive been using avast antivirus and havent had any probs, if I use norton my computer comes down with a bug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

downloaded sp2 on dial up 56k modem and i thought that was bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but since sp2 install my task bar and program-start bars have disappered ,all the desktop icons are their but task bar , has diaappeared , i also have norton 2004 firewall and anti virus and am wondering are they sp2 compliant at all ..........

vasch_ro wrote:
    ....i also have norton 2004 firewall and anti virus and am wondering are they sp2 compliant at all ..........

People have been wondering that since Windows 3.x... ;)

just uninstalled sp2 and my task bar and start bars have re appeared
    installed sp2 on my jes .de machine from hell and all appears to be okay so far ..................

vasch_ro wrote:
    just uninstalled sp2 and my task bar and start bars have re appeared
    installed sp2 on my jes .de machine from hell and all appears to be okay so far ..................

Why machine from hell ?

not sure i understand the question
    its called the machine from hell because thats the silly name that
    www.jes-computer.de gave it !!!
    anyway as i do not have any norton products installed on it there does not seem to have been any problems with sp 2 YET !!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I think I will wait awhile by the sounds of things this installation is not for the feint hearted. PC Live are doing a feature on it for next month and I will see what the very knowledgable Stephen Cawley (editor) says

Advertisement