Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sp2 problem

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

It really is straight forward, but between people not having enough disk space, not checkign their machines for infections & malware, and stuff like that - they overly complicate it.

It's just a case of double clicking xpsp2.exe and clicking next, accept, next next finish!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

It's just a case of double clicking xpsp2.exe and clicking next, accept, next next finish!!

No offence here but thats just takeing the piss i had to reformat my pc to get the service pack to work and even now the damn thing wont work right...Problem number 2 useing iol broadband crashs the GUI for around 5 mins i mean honestly what type of half assed service pack is this ? all it seems to do is add a number of annoying icons to your toolbar and make useing the internet impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

We have had millions of installs that went perfectly...proportionally very few installs go wrong.

There may be incompatabilities between your software/hardware with XP SP2. Do you have spyware on your machine? Do you have up to date drivers? Do you have a virus free machine? Have you read the knows issues KB articles?

I've got SP XP2 on all my home machines (2 desktops & 1 laptop) and the only problem that I've had is with Pinnacle Studio 9 DV editing software. But this is a known issue with the way that Pinnacle Systems coded PS9 (it triggers the new NX feature of XP SP2).
    These 2 desktops & laptop use IOL broadband over a wireless LAN, and one acts as a gateway/router (on 24/7 with Windows Firewall as the only installed firewall) and it's running great - no viruses/trojans/malware coming through it. Also, they are home built machines (not OEM).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

tzmndvl wrote:
    Well I know for a fact that the lexmark z605 has problems with SP2 the install program for the printer will not run, I had to pull the drivers drirectly out of the drivers folder on the install disk.
    I dont think lexmark has clued into the fact that their software no longer works with this upgrade, their customer support has asked me to remove the software then got me to reinstall the newer version (which still doesnt work)
    If you upgraded to sp2 and still had the lexmark controller software on that might be the issue.

Yeah, I agree, you should try uninstalling the lexmark printer. There have been loads of complaints about them and SP2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It really is straight forward, but between people not having enough disk space, not checkign their machines for infections & malware, and stuff like that - they overly complicate it.

Perhaps an idea in future would be a nice shiny GUI going step-by-step with people through what they should do in terms of making sure their machine is free of viruses, spyware, and backing up - maybe even print out a nice list.

Or a better idea would be to have SP2 extract the files, and reboot the machine, running the update without being logged in, a la Windows Setup. That would minimise the amount of things that could interfere with the install. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Do you have spyware on your machine?

No
    Do you have up to date drivers?

Yes

Do you have a virus free machine?

Yes
    Have you read the knows issues KB articles?

No must go look at that

Anyways as a back up is it still possible to get my hands on sp1 ? never had a problem with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

It really is straight forward, but between people not having enough disk space, ......It's just a case of double clicking xpsp2.exe and clicking next, accept, next next finish!!

Says it all if the service pack doesn't check if it has enough disk space. How dumb is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I still hav'nt installed SP2,I have been strongly advised by a number of 'experts' to leave it alone for the moment untill all the glitches are sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

last night i installed SP2, maybe i'm mistaken but i thought i saw a message flash up........"checking for disk space", mind you there could have been other messages too i wasn't paying much attention anyway. So far the only thing i noticed is that it complained about the status of my firewall and my norton AV. I disabled windows firewall and checked the boxs where you can monitor your own firewall and AV. Other than that i havn't noticed any problems since, the popup blocker is a welcome addition, all in all as far as i can see it's ok of course it's early days yet. Anyway the option is there to go back if needed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Says it all if the service pack doesn't check if it has enough disk space. How dumb is that?
    Don't forget it's probably going to do a system restore snapshot (even though it can't be uninstalled) as well.

Might not do any harm to right click on your Hard drive and do a checkup and a defrag. I'd recomend running NTbackup (ntbackup.msi on the XP Home CD) as well to be on the safe side. Sod's law says the one time you don't make a backup is when things become pearoid. As Colm says get rid of all the junk on your PC - if it ain't stable before SP2 then it probably won't be stable afterwards. If possible turn OFF the antivirus / firewall during install. Ha - this of course means you shouldn't be on line at the same time..

Perhaps start the computer up in SAFE mode before applying the SP - this should bypass a lot of junk.

And no I haven't taken the plunge yet.

• Advertisement

The problem is that "occasionally" you can have a perfectly fit system before the install, and sick/slow one after it. The concensus here seems to be that its the fault of the user, because if it worked for you then it must work for everyone else. Few things are that simple.

well.....my system was ok for a little while, til i started getting blue screens with all the stop messages etc. complaining about some Norton AV file that didn't like device verifier, anyway it turned out to be a right mess!
    tried system restore, that didn't work so eventually used add/remove software.
    Then i uninstalled Norton, (happily running AVG now) ran all the usual clean up stuff spy ware etc
    tried again with SP 2 but more blue screens and more different stop messages.
    Done some more tweaking & extra sweeps installed again and had to back out once more. So for now i'm going to steer clear of it. Way too much bother altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Just a quick note on the original crashing problem...

SP2 has some issues with the Intel bios. Not sure which version is affected but it causes the pc to crash shortly after boot, or to stall just before displaying the desktop.

Upgrade your Intel drivers to the latest version for your board.

Bit late, I know, but I just had this problem with a PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

well ever since i installed sp2 every time i connect to the net my pc will 9 times out of 10 freeze for anything up to 5 minutes befor i can do anything with it. I mean even ctrl alt+del can take an age to come up once i have connected to the net! So colm have you heard of this problem and how to fix it because it is driving me insane! sp1 never did this to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

hmmm, never occurred to me that sp2 might be causing htis but I have had tourble recently with MRi modems causing the PC to crash/hang when connecting to the net. Ended up removing the culprits and using USR or Hayes instead. Cleared it up nicey. I htought it was just a bad batch of modems....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

LoLth the first modem i noticed this happen with got blown up with lightining but i now have a new modem that is a different make altogether and the same problem still occurs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

hmm all these horror stories about xpsp2, i dunno whether my 2 cents will be worth anything but here goes

my system was very very unstable, to the point i could predict when it would crash and thats no exaggeration, like clockwork every 6 weeks boom windows would fall over, i did all the usual crap to get it to work but it just didnt work and i ended up reformatting every single time

now the system is running sweeter then ever, 2 things have happened that are different to the time i was getting the crashes, 1 i got broadband, 2 i installed service pack 2, i always had anti virus, adaware etc on the pc anyways

so the only thing i can think of is that it has to be sp2 thats made the system stable

not 1 crash or reboot since install, its a home pc i built myself not a branded 1

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

not going to be much help here and just add my own problems ;)

XP2 has seriously affected by Ping and lag.... with an ISDN line it was never brilliant but I could still get quite a good rate if I kept it at max 16 players...

I've sweitched off the fire wall, virus scanner, killed everything in the task manager that didn't look relevant and still no luck...

any one else have this problem ?

As for the other stuff b- bars dissapearing dissapearing, had that - all activex controls blocked, that too - the ability to download anything remotely help full such as codec's blocked, yep - great patch this - keep finding things that don't work anymore ;)

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

see this fix here... Sounds similar....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=196345

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

lol..... just got cought rotten by Hefty for spamming... that links to thread... but honsetly, I only chucked it in here too as the other thread wasn't read for a few days... :o

have mercy .. ;)

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote:

Upgrade your Intel drivers to the latest version for your board.

having read this i updated my Bios it was 03 to 07. Also updated to the latest graphics driver. Don't know which item was responsible for the crashes, my guess is the bios.
    Anyway this seems to have solved the problem, it apears to be stable so far.
    So I guess the lesson here is, if anyone's thinking of applying SP 2, do the preparation first. :)

the computer was stable for maybe two days (which is puzzling) I had installed three updates and updated to media player 10 then the stop codes started appearing
    the usual 0x000008e (0xc000005, etc.
    i looked up microsoft's support which only said i should check for updates and some other worthless info.
    Like! whats that about?
    I uninstalled the updates but still got blue screens, and also tested the memory coz that was mentioned as a possible cause, so i'm back at SP 1 and the system is rock steady again.
    I could do a re-format and apply it to a clean system and i might eventually do that, it's a bother tho but i can't think of anything else.
    Think i'll wait for SP3 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

In the last 3 or 4 weeks, the pop-up windows update box telling me updates are ready to download. When i go to download them i find I am about to start downloading sp2. I do NOT want to download sp2 (as it seems to be causing so much hassle).does this now mean the only updates for windows now is for sp2?

In the last 3 or 4 weeks, the pop-up windows update box telling me updates are ready to download. When i go to download them i find I am about to start downloading sp2. I do NOT want to download sp2 (as it seems to be causing so much hassle).does this now mean the only updates for windows now is for sp2?

I think they were going to turn off the option NOT to install SP2 after a while. THough I can't have happened yet as I patched a XP machine on Fri or Thurs and it could download and install patches and not install SP2.

Advertisement