Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small Film makers?

• 28-08-2004 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a musician currently in my 3rd year of college studying music composition and performance. I'm really interested in making music for film and am trying to make up a portfolio. I would like to score a number of short films for experience free of charge so, if there is anyone interested please reply to this post.

Cheers
    Damien

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Brenner

hi there damien,

I'm working in film sound and will be putting together some shorts in the not too distant future (c. next 6 months) with my brother as Director. Would be interested in talking to you about scores etc for the projects,

just for starters, how are you planning on scoring the film?
    do you work on live perforemance acoustically or digitally? or both? etc.

just curious about yer setup and how you'd plan to apply the score to picture (prior to editing etc.)

nice one,

Bren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Hey,

I would mainly work on a live idea and have certain points of the film that I wanted musically accented written down.i.e "0.20seconds introduce drums" etc.. Best way I find to do that is to watch the scene you're concentrating on a good few times and work on a basic idea and it's timing with regard to the fim, then I would record the basic idea on whatever instrument and then work around that. Then sync it up with Adobe Premier, I have only done a few but it seems to be workin out fine....There's probably a much easier way of doing it, so if anyone else knows? feel free to tell us!!

I'll have my web page up soon anyway and let ya have a look at what I've done.

Cheers
    D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Just in case this doesn't work out Fusion251, most productions wont even talk to you unless you have joined the Film makers union in Siptu, so if you want to make a career out of it I'd suggest joining as your first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Just in case this doesn't work out Fusion251, most productions wont even talk to you unless you have joined the Film makers union in Siptu, so if you want to make a career out of it I'd suggest joining as your first step.

While thats the case with most techs on a film, composers are an exception. I don't think there's even a union grade for composer, and generally the people I've worked with have sort of just fallen into the business.

Fusion. Check out the back of Film Ireland, and go into Filmbase, (ask at IFI reception) for their shortshorts chase list. Give the producers a call, and ask to meet.

Also well worth the idea of going out to ballyfermot, dullaigh, and DunLaoighaire and introducing yourself with a few samples (of your work) to the students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm planning on shooting a no-budget short in the next two months or so and would definitely be interested in your services. Music will have a big part to play - do you have samples of stuff that you have composed?

Send me a message with your details etc. and I'll contact you.

• Advertisement

Well i have a year left in college so what I'm trying to do at the minute is to get a portfolio of my work together and put it on a web site, the site is currently under construction. I'll post the address when it's up and running, but if anyone want's to contact me you can mail me at...

The music doesn't have to be just for short films, I''ll give anything a go.

futuremusicproductions@gmail.com

Cheers
    Damien

to be honest, I was told this 4 years ago and still no body has asked me to join a union after working on 4 features and a number of shorts!

If you know about what is required to join the union, sponsership etc. you would know that you already need to know people in the industry anyway and ask them to go into siptu for you... as a first step this is a toughie! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

to be honest, I was told this 4 years ago and still no body has asked me to join a union after working on 4 features and a number of shorts!

What do you do in the industry Brenner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

I'm currently writing a script for an ultra low budget (possibly zero) production hoping to start shooting end of the year or early next year, I have a definate idea of music I want for it so if you'd be open for suggestions as to how the music would go, I'd be interested in talking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Brenner wrote:

If you know about what is required to join the union, sponsership etc. you would know that you already need to know people in the industry anyway and ask them to go into siptu for you... as a first step this is a toughie! :)

Fair enough, its just what I was told. I worked with Harlem Film Productions (In America) a couple of years ago and every there said noone would touch me in the industry if I didn't join the union.

As you said though, the industry is more about who you know, rather than what you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I have 3 Dual Processor G4 Processor Final Cut Pro based Editing Suites that see very little use. If anyone has any interesting projects, I'd be happy to let you make use of them.

Where you based monkey?

Didn't wanna sound abrupt :), I've heard that in canada and the states that this is the case, union wise, I had this experience on ireland and its a beauty trying to join the union here :D

Advertisement