Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA RAID query

Options
  • 28-08-2004 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on finally getting all my data from 5 systems together and sticking it on a file server

I have a PIII 800mhz 512mb system that is only now useless for gaming (still plays COD but not generals, BFV or anything newer)... Anyway, what I want to do is set it up as a fileserver for the other 4 PC's on the network - most of my data (music, drivers, progs etc etc) is backed up but its spread over all the machines...

My plan is to get a PCI SATA RAID contoller card, 2x 200GB SATA hard drives and set up a raid 1 config so taht I don't need to live in fear of the hard drive dying (hence the reason all the data is scattered at the moment)

That will free up one of my current 120GB drives for use as a 2nd drive in my main PC as part of a raid 0 array (go on the performance!)

I have a bunch of questions if anyone can help

1. Can I have a standard IDE drive to boot off on the server PC with the mirror array simply used for storage?

2. I have 2x 120gb drives - one with 2mb cache the other with 8mb - will this cause problems in a raid 0 setup?

3. To setup raid 0 will I need to reinstall windows? Or can I put in a blank hard drive and use my other existing hard drive?

4. Any recommendations on high capacity SATA drives (performance and reliability)? I was looking at http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=123996&s=sc but is there better for a similar price?

Thanks for any suggestions
    B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

1. Yes

2. YEs, the drives need to be INDENTICAL...ie. have the same model number!

3. If you want windows on the array, you will need to re-install it, and load the drivers for the hardware raid array prior to installing windows. Its pretty easy and usualy explained in lay-mans terms in the controller manual.

4. You could try Jes.de if you wanted but 127 quid for a 200GB S-ATA is cheap. I have 2 seagate barracudas in a RAID 0 array...they go like greased monekys, run fairly cool (no where near as hot as my 120GB maxtor) and arent noisey. If you dont go with Seagate, go with samsung Spinpoint, i've read good things about them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Killah_B wrote:
    I'm planning on finally getting all my data from 5 systems together and sticking it on a file server

2. I have 2x 120gb drives - one with 2mb cache the other with 8mb - will this cause problems in a raid 0 setup?

3. To setup raid 0 will I need to reinstall windows? Or can I put in a blank hard drive and use my other existing hard drive?

2. I ran a PATA RAID 0 configuration off 2 x 20gb drives a while back. The drives although both Maxtor were different models (one slightly better than the other), and had slightly different layouts. The controller I have handled them both without a problem. You will of course pay a penalty for having one possibly slower drive however in the array.

3. This may be possible - I guess since you're ultimately looking at a re-install you've nothing to lose. Install the RAID drivers in your current setup, and once done, move you current 120gb drive to boot off the RAID card (as a single drive). If this works you can then add the second 120gb drive and built the array in the RAID BIOS utility. Loads that can go wrong here too - but it is possible.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

nice one folks

Advertisement