Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultima Online and it's like...

Options
  • 21-10-1999 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Myself and a friend were discussing this type of idea a while ago, and again last night in the pub, when I decided to check it out and see if it had been done before, and it seems it has....

...Which is the best ONLINE game in this genre? Will I get mad addicted to UO and never leave the house again? Will I not be able to eat because every day I go home I boot up, log on and spend all my money on phone bills, leaving me pennyless to buy even a sliced pan?

...This the the sort of immersion in a game I've been trying to find for ages...and it hasn't been since Arena,(man, they were bad graphics!), that possibly I'd be mad into....Is this the one?

Advice on UO, and how to start and any other game considered equally as good or better would be greatly appreciated...

Thanx wink.gif

Lucutus of Borg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

>Which is the best ONLINE game in this genre?

There are a few out there, each has it's own style. EverQuest is another which people seem to like.

>Will I get mad addicted to UO and never leave the house again? Will I not be able to eat because every day I go home I boot up, log on and spend all my money on phone bills, leaving me pennyless to buy even a sliced pan?

Depends on you I suppose.

>Advice on UO, and how to start and any other game considered equally as good or better would be greatly appreciated...

Read around what's already posted here, there are some nice links,.

They are broken up into "Shards". Each shard is individual.

So if you have character on say "Europa" Shard you can't interact with anyone on "Pacific" shard with it.

Each Shard is made up of a number of servers all linked.

Upgrades are done online when you connect if and when there are any. Starting off your proberly going to have to sit through a few patches before getting into the game.

There I think 15 official Shards worldwide, and each shard has about 10 Servers. There are shards out there that are free, but I don't know where they are, and they proberly wouldn't have more then 100 people on them.

As for game time, I don't know about Ireland but over here you can buy Game Credits from Game. It's a cert with an ID number which allows you to play for a month. So you don't need a credit card (although it helps).

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 25-10-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

As far as players living in Ireland,credit card is the only way to pay for game time(tho I dont know about DB)and it works out as 7 quid a month.The pings from tinet are deadly but Im waiting on esat to connect me up to the unlimited package and at the moment I cant comment on there pings to the UO severs.Maybe Owen knows what the esat pings are like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I find the esat connection better than the tinet, it seems a bit slower, but much less problem are asssociated with it.

Time of day and what shard you play on is a big factor too. The evenings for me is great on Europa.

when I played on yesterday with Venom, the ping was great until near the end where I crawled back to town.

Funny day yesterday, I was wondering wtf you were up to telling all those guys I had looted. smile.gif

Myself and Venom were at the Orc fort hunting Reds, well he was hunting, I was just looting them (Reds are people who can be attacked freely). So Venoms there giving orders to some others on horseback and they kick the c**p out two reds (they end up recalling).

Some other red comes on, and manages to escape. Finally they stopped attacking him and started talking to him, meanwhile I walk by him a few times and steal his Pearl first (no offensive spells) then his Ash next, then his fish steaks. He's going "Your reallying starting to P1SS ME OFF" to me, while I reply "you know, if I was you it would be around now that I'd start running if I was you" (he was defensless) smile.gif

So he legs it with Venom and his troops giving chase. I bump into the chap a couple more times and steal three of his escape runes. Venom still didn't manage to catch the bugger.

While Venom is off hunting, I bump into someone who's trying to get thier stuff out of the fort, so I offer to help and stealth in and get her stuff. While I'm there I see another body and loot it blind (it had tons of stuff!) I give the girl her stuff back and I give the lovely bag of regents to Venom....

5 minutes later I see the red guy again I keep looting I run to find the troops and find them all standing together. I'm about to say where the red is when one of them goes...

Muppet1: "I heard you found a large bag of regents. Hand them over"
    me: "I gave them to Kaleb" (Venoms name)
    Muppet1: "You looted some bodies?"
    me: "They were gray so it was ok"
    Muppet1: "Hand everything you looted over now or else"

Well I wasn't about to hand over 3K of stuff to them so I hid then stealthed to the bottom left of them, and watched as they did reveals and running around in circles. Sheesh I'm surprised they actually managed to attack the reds, they couldn't even find me. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 25-10-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Those guys were the biggest bunch of fuk wits iv every met.They knew nothing about pvp combat.I had para'ed the red any was about to do a exp/flame strike combo(65-85 damage) and 1 of the muppets hit the red with a magic arrow(5-9 damage) and releases him from the para!This went on for ages,everytime I got the red near death the goons screwed things up.In the end I went after the red on my own and he recalled out and stayed gone smile.gif

Yea I was listening to the conversation, it was like the three stooges. I said (being totally clueless about mages) "hey why not mana drain so he can't recall out" and they are all "ooh that's a good idea, do you think we should do that?".

Actually I think you should keep para until he blows all his pouches, then you should of let me steal everything then gank him. Works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

So what is the deal with Ultima Online ? Is their new upgrades or how the hell does it work. How many servers are out there or does everyone play on one huge server, or are they all linked in some way ?

I've always wanted to have a look at this game but at the time with conversations with simon and johnathan , I thought no way phone bill will go through the roof, however, now that I have an esat nolimits account it seems all the more attractive. What do I need to get and can you pay your monthly subscription by DB ? as I don't have a credit card.

Advertisement